SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

Having second thoughts about moving (long)

Kathsgrdn
13 years ago

I posted last week that I was going to look at a house. I really like the house, except for a few things. There are 4 huge maple trees out back that have already damaged the house in storms, a branch fell on the roof and they had to repair it. The realtor thinks they look healthy, I think they look too tall and spindly, ready to come crashing down on the house any minute. Then there's standing water at the fenceline, near the trees and the outbuilding. I didn't notice it the first visit but the second time I noticed that the water had rotted the bottom of the outbuilding. The owner said the inside was fine, but then there is an electrical plug near the bottom of the building too close to the water. Not sure it's hooked up to anything but it may be.

Then there's the fact that the yard is twice the size of mine and even though there is less crap (too many plants and trees planted by the previous owner) there than here, do I really want to take care of that huge yard in 10 years...or now?

I do love the other house, though, more than mine-at least the inside. Rooms are bigger, the hallway is wider, bathrooms are bigger and it has a laundry/mud room, dining room and den with a fireplace. It has everything I want in a house. I don't like the outside of the house, it's pale red brick, has a broken white lamp post on the porch-the glass is broken not the lamp itself. Their mail box is horrible looking, noticed that yesterday on the second trip.

I guess I'm getting lazy thinking about having to get my house ready to sell, then actually having to move again. That's provided my house sells in time to buy the other house before someone else buys it.

So, I've decided to have a company come out and give me an estimate on putting on an addition to my house. They are coming next Wednesday. I would like a den, dining room, bedroom, laundry room and bathroom added on but think that will be more than I can afford. So, I'm thinking of just adding a dining room, a bedroom for myself and a medium sized bathroom with just a walk in shower. No tub, I never take baths. That way I can have a bedroom again and have a separate dining area and can have more room in my kitchen. I'd like to have lots of big windows in the dining room too so I we can see into the backyard and maybe have a fireplace insert in there to make it cozy.

I'd also like to have a few small things fixed around the house and have the carpet pulled up and hardwood floors put down. I'd also like the kitchen redone. I may have to do it in stages.

I know I should get a few different estimates from different companies, but does anyone who's done renovations have any other advice?

Comments (17)