SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcat_gw

Having second thoughts about which climbing rose to get

jeffcat
14 years ago

I already purchased 2 Blaze(improved) climbing roses for my arbor/pergola I'm building out back. The structure is fairly large at 10ft tall and 9-10ft wide, so I need something vigorous in growth, plus it has to endure the tortuous Z5a-b Columbus, OH winters. I've asked a similar question before and heard about Quadra, Red Ramblin, and William Baffin, but I don't know anybody that carries them anymore this year online.

I stopped by the Columbus Park of Roses and as I expected Quadra was doing well, and New Dawn did quite well with some die back, but not a ton. My problem lies in zonal survival of the rose for the most part. I really like the fragrance of the Don Juan along with it's color and blooms, however I have heard it is only hardy to Z6 and somewhat succeptible to disease. My 2 blaze(improved) are both large right now, but the blooms are more of a magenta color than red, and there is very little fragrance, and only one of them is blooming(the other has no buds), so I am a bit torn as to whether or not to just keep them or not.

I feel pretty good about seeking out my local nursery as they have a solid selection, but what would you suggest for a climber that would be "Don Juan-like"? I would prefer a deep red color and something that is fragrant, but it's not set in stone as long as I can get a good climber. Can Zephy be grown as a climber? Here is the selection I have from my local nursery. The 2nd to last page is climbers. Thanks for whatever help I might be able to receive!

http://www.oaklandnursery.com/doc/RoseList2009.pdf

Comments (17)