SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
java_man

Natural Gas Valve Sticking . . . ?

java_man
16 years ago

I have a natural gas grill that connects to natural gas outlet mounted on the wall of my deck. The gas outlet has a quick-connect and an on-off valve. It has been working fine for 2 years, but suddenly, I'm not getting any gas flow. The gas on/off to the house is definitely "on" since our other gas appliances are working normally. There is an on-off valve in the line to the gas outlet, but it has always been in the "on" position, and I am the only person who knows where it is.

With the gas hose plugged into the wall outlet, and the wall-mounted on/off valve turned on, no gas comes through the hose. I blew into the hose to check for blockages. There's little back pressure and no blockage in either the hose or the grill's gas control.

The problem seems to be with quick-connect fitting and/or the on-off valve on the wall. With the gas turned on and the hose plugged into the quick connect fitting, I jiggled the connector while holding the downstream end of the hose to my ear. I could hear short hisses of gas escaping as I jiggled the connector, but continuous flow doesn't happen. It sounds as though the male hose-end connector isn't mating properly with the female valve body.

Here's what the valve and quick connect looks like:

http://www.tejassmokers.com/images/NatGas4.jpg

Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Is it a problem for a careful, handy DIY-er like me to replace it myself?

Java

P.S. I also posted this on a couple of other sections of the forum, but have recently found out that gas piping is most often handled by plumbers.

Comment (1)