SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manonano

first floor washer/dryer install

manonano
16 years ago

I'd like to move our washer/dryer out of the basement up to the first floor. I purchased a washing machine box (Mfg by Oatey) from HD and am trying to identify the best place to install it. One location is on the side wall of the house that would require a vertical run down into the basement where it would then require ~20 ft horizontal to a drain line. The other location would require ~4 ft horizontal before a drop into the basement and then the same 20 ft run to the drain line. The second location would have the box located under a window (bottom of window is 35" above floor). I had a few questions:

1) I looked in NYS code and saw that the standpipe must be a min of 18" and a max of 42" above the trap weir. Is there any recommendation on what is best for a washing machine drain?

2) The code also states that the fixture drain must connect to a branch drain or drainage stack a min. of 3" in diameter. Does this mean that the discharge of the trap needs to connect to 3" pipe or can I use 2" pipe to run to the drain that is 3" or larger. Also, any issues with the length of horizontal run that I need to use to get to the drain? If I stick with 1/4" per foot am I OK?

3) Any other recommendations/guidance is greatly appreciated!

Let me know if you need additional info.

Thanks!

Comment (1)