SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

First impressions of my new washer & dryer

alisande
15 years ago

My new washer and dryer were delivered last week, and I've done six loads of wash. (I'd been saving it up!) So this isn't what you'd call a fair review. I'll check back after a year.

I'm afraid my opinion might be rather useless on the dryer, because I bought it two years ago (yes, delivered just last week--thanks to remodeling delays) and these models change faster than cars or digital cameras. The dryer is a Maytag MDE4806AYW, or, to put it another way, "Commercial Quality Stainless Steel Tumbler/SuperSize Capacity/Quiet Series 200/12 cycles." It's a sensor model with electronic controls.

I don't know how accurate the sensing is. More than once I had to put clothes back in the dryer for another try. And when I dried a comforter last night the dryer ran in very short bursts until I wised up and set it for timed drying. I guess it was sensing the dry surface on the outside of the comforter, and not picking up the very damp sections underneath.

But the bigger issue, for me, was the pet hair. I admit pet hair is a big issue all over my house, but never before have I seen it all over the inside of a dryer door. Not only did I have to remove it from the door (which wasn't all that easy, since it was hanging on for dear life), but I peeled it off the "ribs" (raised areas) of the drum. Both were plastic, which I think explains why they attracted the hair. None clinged to the metal drum itself. My last dryer (also a Maytag) was metal throughout.

I should add that the removable filter remained hair-free for the most part, although it did collect some along with the lint. I could see this situation becoming rather annoying.

The washer is a Speed Queen AWS44NW. It fills quickly, agitates nicely, and spins smoothly (none of the rocking, walking, or leaping my other washer was famous for). I had read that heavier items might need a second spin, and I found this to be true. Even with an extra spin, this washer seems quick.

It probably isn't any quicker than other models, though . . . I suspect I'm comparing it to my snail's-pace dishwasher. Since my previous washer was in the basement, I wasn't all that aware of how long it took per load.

Pet hair or no pet hair, after being without a dryer for two years I'm delighted with my machines, bordering on euphoric.

Susan

Comments (4)