SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bakaroni

Drainage issue and questions

bakaroni
14 years ago

We live in a typical 20-year old Californian suburban home: 5000sq ft lot. It slopes gently from the back to the front of the house. The house is south facing. In winter when we get all our rain, the crawl space under the house has been getting wet and probably forms some puddles as well. In addition the backyard also gets puddles and it very, very soggy. Fortunately, I don't see any mold under the house. However, I'm still concerned about this problem as it might lead to long-term issues.

At first I thought the problem was due to water from the backyard getting under the house. But I think the problem may be related to the storm drainage system, and water in the backyard may be a symptom of the real problem.

As far as I can tell there's one drain on the east end of the property that empties onto the street. We have 3 spouts from the roof on the east side of the house: one at the north-east corner, one in the middle and one in the south-east corner. In addition we have 2 spouts on the west side: northwest and southwest corners.

I'd assumed that all these spouts emptied into the main drain on the eastern edge and emptied into the street. But given that there's likely a problem I tried to narrow down the area where it might be. When I pour water into the spout in the southeast corner, it drains into the street all right. But the northeast and northwest don't. I have no idea where the water is going. Maybe there's a leak or a clog along the way.

So the questions are:

1. Am I correct in my assumption that all the rain gutters on all sides of the house connect to the drain on the east? Is this normal? If so, would the gutters on the west be connected to the drain on the east by pipes that go under the house? I don't see any obvious pipes between the two sides.

2. the drain runs along the side yard which has concrete poured over it. Is there a way to determine where the problem is without ripping out the concrete?

3. Is this simple enough a problem for me to hire an unlicensed (and cheaper) handyman to fix, or should I play it safe and get a licensed contractor to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)