SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disinmtl

Hydro Tomato - Leaf Curl, Roll, Drooping

disinmtl
15 years ago

Hi,

This forum seemed more appropriate for my post since I believe the source of my problem stems from my hydroponics setup, however, all opinions are greatly appreciated. Also, I am a rookie grower (lettuce, tomatoes, and hydroponics).

Here is some info regarding my setup:

Light Source: HPS 1000w (started on 18/6, now on 12/12 for flowering purposes - query: is that necessary since they flowered during 18/6, but some poster said they won't set fruit without a 12/12 cycle).

Room Temp: Day: 70F Night: 60F

Room RH: 50-60%

Water Temp: Approx 65F

Water pH: between 6-6.5, note early on I think it was closer to 7 often.

Exhaust and Fan: Box fan blows softly on plants for stem strength and to pollinate (necessary?). Standard bathroom exhaust vent fan that shares the dryer exhaust.

Medium: Ughhhh, I want to do all organic vegetables and did not want to pay for coconut coir, so I went perlite and vermiculite with cocotex planters. I used, as recommended by the guy at the store, a 50/50 mix. I think this was a mistake, the vermiculite holds water forever and clogs everything. The perlite also likes to break down and develop properties similar to the vermiculite.

Setup:

Containers: This is where I really should have do some more due diligence. B/c I had seen hydroton used, I thought everything drained that way (moron). So, I have 3" pvc tubes with holes drilled out to hold the planters (my planters are either 1.5" or 3" diameter). I also filled the entire tube with the medium (mistake, right?, I could have just allowed the roots to grow out of the planters into the pvc? now I have major drainage issues which require semi-manual feeding to prevent overflow. I also have two K style pvc gutters full of the medium with younger plants in them (exposed surface like a flood table, work great, but soil stays wet, see below). I also have one pvc tube with only perlite in it (still has overflow probs).

Feeding System: 18 gl reservoir using a 1/6 hp sump pump connected to 3/4" pvc irrigation pipe that runs to 6 couplers where it meets 1/2 o.d. vinyl which connects to Rain Bird Mushroom Bubblers.

Water Source: tap, often feed right away, not anymore, now wait until water heats up b/c I use cold.

Feeding Schedule: Once per day in the morning heavily. Should it be two days or more?

nutrients: organic grow and bloom, hydrozyme, and calplex.

airstone: yes

Plants: Tomatoes: brandywine: grow well, but sick now, cherry: never grown well, beefsteak: grows well, now very sick and confused. Lettuce: all types I have tried grow great. Baby Tomatoes are all healthy: roma, brandywine, super sweet 100, fourth of july, organic sweety and brandywine.

Problems:

Leaf Curl/Yellow/Purple lower: Slight upward cupping existed always in the lower mature leaves and they turned yellow on top and purple on the bottom but not on the veins. I have seen many pics of sick tomato leaves, I think it was magnesium or iron for the yellowing, purple - phos?, leaf curl: I don't know what caused it. Also the cherry was generally yellow throughout, and the beefsteak grew like crazy (determinate), but was purple and dark green all over, stems had a purple hew and leaves are dark green top/purple underneath.

Leaf/Stem Roll: I upped the nutrients without much forethought or ruling out of potential problems (Like I said, pH was prob 7). So I jacked the nutrients (aggressive fruiting with the bloom fert) and pretended their was an extra gl of water b/c I wanted to catch up (I had under feed them at least once and had messed with their feeding cycle often b/c of h2o dist. issues, now solved). And everything was great, yellow going away, plants growing like mad, everything going green, even the cherry's were coming back, and then the leaves, all of them began to roll, downward into tube shapes, then the stems began to roll into spiral shapes, then the stems began to droop down, and everything is now drooped down. The edges and tips of the leaves are dead. Some branches have now died.

Ram's Horn/Downward Cup: The leaf sides cup downward along the center of the leaves, both looking droopy and forcefully cupping down The leaf also bend under and backward, like a ram's horn as some poster's call it.

Color: All leaves became dark, dark green (too much nitrogen?).

So, I read up and thought I had nutrient burn. I flushed for five days, in that time the upward cup began to get much worse while the leaf/stem roll and ram's horn improved on new growth and stabilized or worsened or old growth. I waited until the leaves began to turn yellow, then started them with a weak nute mixture (six days).

They don't seem to be coming back. The perlite tomatoes are in the worst shape. The 50/50 pvc is in better, but still bad. All the above are 6 weeks old and 2-3 ft tall or less if sick. The young ones, two weeks are in the gutters and all healthy, with some slight down leaf cup/ram's horn.

Soil Drainage Issue/Question: Is this the source of my prob, the bottom half of the medium stays wet in the tube forever, but the top half dries every 24hr period. It's always seemingly wet though. Looked at some roots yesterday, they looked pretty white, not brilliant white, but maybe a little brownish. There is some algae growing. Nutrient solution likes to drain out at closer to 7pH.

One last thing, the flowers and tomatoes seem to be pollinating and growing fine on the mature beefsteak and brandywine.

Sorry for the novel, I would love to hear your thoughts and really appreciate it. Thanks. I have lots of pic's but don't know how to post them here.

Comments (12)