SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lfnyc

Pumpkin Therapy for intestinal issues

lfnyc
16 years ago

Hey there. I got aquainted with the kind and knowledgeable people on this board back in July after I adopted Odessa from the ASPCA here in New York. She is an 8 yr old spade female who, with one noteable exception was the most perfect puss I could have asked for. Unfortunately that exception was putrid-smelling,yellowish bowel movements that got looser and smellier every day. To make a long story short, I took her to the vet and we addressed all of the usual treatments: change in diet, anti-biotics (Flagyl), probiotics,and worm meds, even though she tested negative for Giardia and tapeworms. Through out an extended 6 week course of Flagyl, her BMs firmed up only to get loose and stinky again within 2 days after phasing her off the meds.

One day when I went to the vet for another Flagyl RX, the receptionist (one of these cat-rescue people) suggested that I try giving Odessa some canned pumpkin. I questioned what she said because because that had been what the vet had told me to give my late cat who had chronic constipation due to CRF. She said canned pumpkin works for both problems. The vet said to go ahead and try it...it couldn't hurt. At any rate, he said that he didn't want give Odee anymore flagyl for the time being.

I googled 'Pumpkin for Feline diarhea' and found this Pet Forum where there was a thread on the topic and a few people said that pumpkin had worked for them. As I told Pranjal (who's kitten had similar symptoms) on another thread, I was on the verge of having Odessa tested for a flagyl-resistant bug that would require an extracted stool sample (ouch)but the vet wanted to wait a week for the Flagyl to get out of her system. I had some canned pumpkin in the freezer so I figured, what the heck. I mixed 1/4 oz in with her dinner that night(Wellness Chicken). She slurped it right up. Same with breakfast the next morning.

That afternoon I called the vet to make the appointment for the stool extraction when I heard some litter digging: Low and behold...a perfectly formed, dark, non smelly, 5 star poop!! Talk about an over night success! This was early October and her bms have been fine ever since. The vet said that she still may have IBD (which is treatable but not curable)that could only be determined with a biopsy or a drug-resistant bug that would eventually be dealt with with by her immune system...but since the bad bms were her only symptom, he felt it was not necessary to do any further testing.

Anyway, if your pet (I hear pumpkin works for dogs, too)has bowel issues, this inexpensive, healthful, and conservative treatment is worth a try along with RX meds, so ask your vet. Here are some tips:

1)Libby makes two canned pumpkin products...don't by the pie mix...make sure it is 100% pumpkin.

2) Odessa weighs 15 lbs. I give her ~1 oz a day divided into her three meals of canned food. If I give her plain pumpkin in a dish and sprinkle a crumbled up Friskies treat on top, she loves to eat it that way, too. Now the only question I have is, can a cat eat too much pumpkin?

3)Pumpkin doesn't keep for a long time in the fridge, but buying the larger can is more economical. Measure out one ounce servings into ice cube trays, freeze the cubes and then put the frozen cubes into ziplock bags and defrost as needed.

I know this is a long message, but I hope it helps someone, the way the previous thread helped Odessa and me.

Comments (25)