SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

Getting Cat Urine out of Carpet

kwie2011
9 years ago

What is the best product and method for removing cat urine ODOR from nylon pile carpet?

I need firsthand, fool-proof methods because I'm anosmic, i.e., I don't have a sense of smell (at all), and I live alone and know no one who can come over and do a sniff test for me (I just moved here), so I won't know if I've gotten the odor out until management does an inspection and I lose my deposit because the carpet smells like cat pee.

It's only two small places, and I THINK I found it within a couple of days of him soiling it. He'd peed in a dog bed, and in a basket of socks, so they caught most of the urine, but the carpet beneath them did feel damp. I don't know whether that means it had dried some, or if, hopefully, the urine didn't soak into the carpet. It was also very dilute urine. He's in chronic renal failure, so he takes in a lot of fluid and pees watery urine.

WHAT I'VE DONE: I treated 2 areas, each about 3 square feet to be sure I got it all It wasn't wet enough to blot anything up I used about 1/4 bottle of an oxygen cleaner on each spot, rubbed it in, and before it dried completely the next day... I used half a bottle of Urine Gone on each, and rubbed it in, and before it dried completely this morning... I treated both areas with "Kids and Pets" enzyme cleaner because I couldn't find any more "Urine Gone" in the store.

It's currently wet with the enzyme cleaner. None of these cleaners contain detergent. The carpet doesn't look or feel soiled or sticky or anything, but it didn't look or feel dirty even when it was just damp with urine.

Comments (19)