SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Brought home a farm kitten

sweetchastity
15 years ago

Dad and I were visiting a family friend at his farm when a pair of black (with some white) kittens came running out to meet us. Dad brought doggie snacks for the dogs and I met the third kitten they had and she's the same colouring as Dustin and was so affectionate that I took her home. I'm going to try to find a home for the 2 black ones because the owner hates cats and these kittens were left over on his farm from the farm next door. So they aren't really his kittens but the owner of the mother doesn't want them and the mother wants nothing to do with them anymore (they were born first week of June so they are old enough to be without her). But I was afraid of where he'd leave the kittens so I took one and I'm going to see if another friend of the family, who usually has several cats/dogs at a time, would take the remaining brother and sister who are close and sleep together and snuggle together.

Right now I have the kitten, Scat, in my bathroom. I left her carrier on the floor so Dustin could see her. I didn't want to put them together so soon but they did meet. I was worried about Dustin as he is 3-4 years old and has been the only cat in my home since August. He sniffed her, especially her back end, and he was quiet but she made a low noise in her throat. She was with 2 dogs and 2 kittens her age so I think its just that she's not fixed and Dustin, while he is fixed, is a male. She has a flea collar on because they were going to keep her but the mother hisses and won't come near their place with her kittens there so they want to give them all away so the mom will come back.

I'm going to make an appointment for the vet tomorrow and then let her loose after some supervised bonding time. I am concerned though because Dustin has been sneezing a lot the last week. Can cats get colds? He's had all his shots but she's had none of them so I don't want them together for more than a few minutes just to see the other's face. Now the pipe broke in the apartment across the hall a few weeks back and there have been many different contractors, plumbers and Damage assessment experts in the apartment downstairs and across the hall. I saw close to 2 feet of drywall and a large tube of insulation so that, with the rubbish they've been throwing out and the banging I've been hearing, tells me they are doing serious renovations downstairs. The lady downstairs said they had to tear apart her whole kitchen and bathroom due to mold. So I'm wondering if that might be the cause for Dustin's sneezing. Its not frequent enough to cause concern, just flared up 3 or 4 times since the construction began but when he sneezes he does so several small, wet sneezes in a row.

I'm also concerned and wondering if I should bring both cats into the vet. I'm worried about possible ear mites, though I don't see any evidence. Dustin seems healthy but last night he threw up quite a bit of his food, it was like whole pieces but enlarged with moisture and soggy. He's had one hairball since he came and that looked more like a turd so I'm not sure if it was a hairball. Oddly enough I also felt a bit odd in the stomach at the time. I moved the air filter into my bedroom/living room to help clear up some of the dust and ickies that might be in the air.

Any advice regarding helping settle the new kitten into our home? I've followed the feral cat threads but wonder if she is feral since she lived in his garage and was fed and handled by the owner and his wife? She totally melts into your arms and is eager for loving so I think of her as more of a domestic cat that was kept in poor living conditions. She smells oily and I'm hoping Dustin's good hygiene will set an example for her and she'll learn to groom herself too. She may groom herself but in those conditions its hard not to smell like oil. I am leary to bathe her when I've just brought her home but maybe I should before taking her to the vet.

Any advice would be appreciated !!!

Comments (17)