SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
logansmum

Exterior Paint color--Please help! Painter is starting early

logansmum
15 years ago

The painter had a cancellation and wants to start this week. EEKK--I'm still undecided on colors. Please ignore the overgrown bushes and otherwise icky landscape. That is next on the to-do list.

The house is 2 story, rock and siding on the front with red brick and siding on the sides and back. So I have lots of textures and colors to coordinate with. The current grayish/blue and brown works nicely with the stone colors (which I think is Tenessee flag stone--gold/brown/silver tones). But I think the palette (the blue especially) is a little dated and wanted to update the shades. Here is the house currently:

I am considering a sagey green for the siding, and a lighter brown or maybe a greenish brown for the darker trim. The windows are painted cream on face and mullions, but the window trim itself is the brown. Do you think that looks weird? I am afraid if I paint the entire window in the cream, it will blend in on the front where the rock is:

Here is the palette I am considering from Sherwin Williams.I picked a cream for the window inside trim (Muslin). There are two dark trim colors--should I go with a similar but lighter chocolate brown (Cobble Brown) or do I go with something more green (Virtual Taupe). There are a couple of green options. Finally, I want to paint the door a statement color (Dahlia). I love periwinkle and think it would be really pretty with the rock. But I could go with an orange/rust door or even a brighter shade of green. I just wanted a fun door.

For the siding color, I am picking two shades of green or whatever color because I am getting a carriage look door and I want to paint it the siding green and use one shade darker of that green on the accent boards (so it would be Svelte Sage with Connected Gray or Softened Green with Clary Sage). This is the style of garage door:

Finally, we have a new deck on the back of the house and the carpenter framed in the porch supports with a bigger 8" column and added arches. Originally, the columns were painted brown, but I think the columns and the arches are very pretty and I want to play that up. Would you paint them brown or the color of the siding?

Thanks for reading through this (if you made it this far ;-) I'm sorry if the pictures are too big. I am new to this and I am tried to size it down in photobucket but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'll go to the store on Monday and get quart paint samples--I realize it's hard to tell from the little paint squares. It is just so much money to get the house painted and I am afraid of making a mistake. I would appreciated any advice or suggestions.

Best regards, Susan

Comments (17)