SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenut213

occasional wetting accidents

gardenut213
17 years ago

Hi all! I posted a few weeks ago when we adopted our dog Belle from a shelter. (I was looking for reassurance that we were doing all the right things to acclimate her to our resident cat, Panda) Anyway...things are going pretty well. Belle is a happy, friendly dog to people and dogs. She is enrolled in obedience training, and making steady progress. My only real concern is, every 10-15 days, she will urinate in the house. It is always upstairs in the hallway. Each time, (a total of 5, counting this morning) I have cleaned it well and treated it with Nature's Miracle. After this episode, I removed the runner for the time being.

I keep her on a strict schedule, every day. She goes out between 5:30-6AM every day for a walk. After breakfast and before I leave for work, she is taken out again. Then crated from 8AM-2PM, when my son comes home and takes her outside to relieve herself. She has free reign in the house from 2PM on. Dinner is always at 5PM, and we take her for a long walk from 6-7. She sleeps at night on our couch, and has never urinated or soiled during the night. I am at my wits end!!! I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong! I actually was brushing my teeth this AM and saw her squatting...I yelled "NO NO, OUTSIDE!!" and then ran her outside to finish. She promplty starts scampering and running around...seemingly oblivious to WHY we were out there!

She has been left alone (outside crate) for a few hours here and there during the day on weekends, and has never had an accident.

On our walks, I usually say "Potty, Belle" and she goes.

I was thinking (before this latest incident) that maybe we should not crate her during the day. Now, I think that's a bad idea.

We praise her lavishly when she goes outside, every time.

Any suggestions?

Comments (12)