SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quirk_gw

lasix, uti, accidents... ideas?

quirk
15 years ago

So my 13 year old totally housebroken dog has an enlarged heart with a leaky valve, and was recently started on a couple meds, including lasix. Around the same time, she also got a really bad bladder infection, and was basically totally incontinent for a day or two... was having accidents even when I was home all day, she just couldn't hold it long enough to ask to go out. It is also probable she'd had a lower-grade UTI for a while that I didn't recognize until it got really bad, and had been having occasional accidents in the house for some time (I had a roommate with a dog who has always had housebreaking issues, so we just assumed any pee belonged to her, not my fully-housebroken one; this dog moved out last week, so I'm now positive mine is the source of any pee). She's just finishing up the antibiotics, and appears to be fine, but she's still having accidents at night and while I'm at work. I'm guessing it's the lasix, but maybe it's exacerbated by the fact that she couldn't help having accidents for a while and has "unlearned" her housebreaking? Is that possible for a dog that's been housebroken for over a decade?

I'm wondering if I should try taking her off the lasix for a short time, to see if she can relearn that peeing in the house is bad, and then when I restart the med, she might do better? Does that sound like a ridiculous idea? Or do I just need to accept I now have a borderline-incontinent dog and need to figure out how to deal with it?

Comments (13)