SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnvh_gw

Online meds-- learned our lesson

cnvh
17 years ago

I posted a few months ago about wanting to buy our heartworm and flea meds online, because they're so expensive at our vets... We decided to stick with the vet's Interceptor, but we went with Frontline Plus from petsuppliesnet.com. (A lot of people here seem to speak highly of petsuppliesnet.com, and since they have by FAR the best proces we found, they were our top pick.) I knew when I ordered that the product came from Australia, but it didn't appear to be anything other than legit, so I wasn't too concerned.

The Frontline Plus took about 2 weeks to arrive. The packaging APPEARED the same for the most part, but the weights, doses, etc., were listed in metric rather than American measurements. Nowhere on the packaging did it say anything about the active ingredients, and on the back, it had a list of ticks that it is effective against-- and deer ticks (the most prevalent ones around here, and the ones that carry Lyme disease) were NOT among those listed.

October 1st was our dog's first dose of mail-order Frontline Plus. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, dog's behavior was the same, etc... then two weeks ago, when giving her a bath, I noticed an engorged tick on her ear, about the size of a pencil eraser. (This was the first tick we have EVER found on her, and we've had her for almost 2 years.) I removed the tick using tweezers, but I couldn't tell if I got the head out or not, so the next morning, off to the vet we went... $182 later, our vet reported that I did indeed remove the tick, head and all, but he put her on 30 days of doxycycline just to be safe, in case of possible Lyme disease transmission. He also advised us to give another dose of Frontline, even though it hadn't been a full month from the last dose. (I didn't mention that it came from Australia.)

Well, guess what-- last night, I found ANOTHER tick. This one had latched on but wasn't as engorged yet-- maybe slightly larger than a grain of rice. But that's TWO ticks in as many weeks, and only since we've had her on the mail-ordered Frontline Plus-- we NEVER found a latched-on tick before this.

So, I removed the tick and went straight to the vet's office to pick up the expensive (American) Frontline... What I had saved in mail-ordering it, I more than overpaid with just one round of antibiotics, because the product doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

I haven't checked yet to see whether or not I can get my money back, but to anyone else considering buying their meds online, at least from this particular site, consider yourself warned-- it's not worth the savings if the product just doesn't work.

Comments (26)