SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

check valve to stop shower leak?

flseadog
14 years ago

We have a completely new walk in shower with a fixed shower head and a separate hand shower spray. The rough valve inside the wall is a Kohler thermostatic valve (separate controls to turn on each shower and we never need to adjust the temperature on the main control) if I understand the terminology correctly. This shower has never been used but the fixed shower head drips constantly and the hand spray drips only occasionally. Since the fixed head is first in line from the main control the plumber says he believes the hand spray only drips when the overflow of water dripping out the fixed shower backs up.

In any event when I asked him to fix the drip he said he would need to rip out my newly installed tile to fix the rough in valve and that he preferred to put a "check valve" on the fixed shower head to avoid messing up the tile. I have 2 questions about this. 1). Why would it be necessary to rip up my tile to fix the rough in valve? Couldn't he just remove the trim and fix the valve? 2). If he is correct that he would have to remove tile to fix the rough in valve what is a check valve? Would it be visible on the fixed shower head? Would it look like a lazy/ugly fix to a problem? This worries me b/c I think a new shower should look spiffy for at least a little while. We spent a lot of money for a new shower and now I'm afraid it's either not going to work right or look right. The plumber is due at 9 tomorrow morning so any help or insight you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)