SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmallen_gw

Help please with living room layout

kmallen
15 years ago

I would love some help with the layout of my living room. I'm having a hard time with my main pieces if I add a rug to have all the pieces touching. I'm using the fireplace as the focal point and we will add a sofa table, some coffee tables and a bench in front of the tall floor windows. I like the idea of the chairs framing the fireplace but maybe I need to forget about having a rug I just wanted that extra pop of color in the room.

The dimensions of the room are as follows:

The fireplace wall 15'

The tall window wall is 13'

The railing directly across the fireplace wall is 13'

I have a rug that I am using just as a visual measuring 5'3" x 7'6"

Here is a picture of the room walking in from the front door

This is coming up the stairs from the front door

This is looking down on to the room from my kitchen

For me the chair on the right side of the screen has to be moved up too much in front of the fireplace to be able to touch the rug. So I thought maybe more of a square rug would work so I could bring back the chair more on the side of the fireplace so the rug would be roughly 7 1/2'

I just don't know if the rug looks too big like that since that one corner doesn't have anything on it. I am open to any suggestions. I did try running the rug lengthwise towards the fireplace and then I thought it looked to small

Comments (47)

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

I would get a large square rug and place that diagonally to unite all your items. Maybe even 10'x 10'. So you can move those chairs back a bit.

• kmallen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, pics 4,5,6 is the rug and runner added together to make almost a true square 7'4" x 7'6". What do you mean exactly placing the rug diagnally? Do you think the chairs need to come back more even in the last pic?

• Related Discussions

Living room layout room help please. Approx. 15x13. Only sofa staying

Q

Comments (5)
    Room painted neutral and I have some large artwork in teals and green and fabric to make pillows in same color family. I thought about putting sofa against wall but wanted to be able to face pretty view outside too
    ...See More

I need some help with my living room layout please.

Q

Comments (2)
    thank you! I have considered this but still worried because my fireplace is not centered to the room. plus you would see chairs as soon as you walk in the front door. do you think either of those things would be bad?
    ...See More

HELP with Living Room Layout Please!! pics included

Q

Comments (3)
    As best I could I tried to make my furniture fit your plan's dimensions. Standard furniture dimensions for sofas and chairs is 3' front to back and usually 7' wide for a sofa, 5' wide for a loveseat and 2.5 to 3' for chairs when bought as a set. Chairs can be less wide, such as THIS TYPE, when they have narrow arms. You should always take a tape measure with you when shopping for furniture to make sure it will fit before you buy. While a sofa would fit beneath the long window, it was impossible to square chairs to it on the right without taking up much of the traffic space on that side of the room. So I placed the sofa against the other window wall and set a loveseat under the long window. This gave space for 2 chairs with a side table between. Choose a narrower rectangular side table to allow more space to walk around this grouping. I've placed a low cabinet/book case with a large TV opposite the loveseat. It's best to place a TV where there will be no backlighting or reflection from a window. The style of furniture you buy can make a difference in how well it all fits. For instance, Leather Furniture often has large arms and backs, whereas Mid-century Modern has narrow arms and backs. Look for something in between these extremes that will fit your tastes.
    ...See More

Please help fix my living room layout and style (boho)

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Salonva, thank you! This is my first ever layout I’m planning, so I’m super excited for new thoughts & ideas. Rug dimensions: 5.3’ x 7.3’ Sofa length would be around 6’ to leave at least 6 in. on each side. I might forget the table and just do 2 boho poufs instead.
    ...See More
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I'm not quite certain why you've placed the couch diagonally. Since the fireplace is the focal point of the room, the couch should be facing it and the chairs could be on each side of the couch with a table at each end of the couch and a coffee table in front of it. The mantel would look very nice with a large piece of art over it in order to have more emphasis there. The arrangement on the mantel also needs to have a little more oomph. Try putting a plant that hangs over the mantel a little on one side and group some candles on the other side. The cool colors in the carpet along with the dark, shiny chairs and light couch make for a room that's lacking in warmth and coziness. I'd add some colorful pillows to the chairs and choose a rug that has some warmer colors in it. I hope all this doesn't sound too critical, but these are just my thoughts on how to make your room more attractive and livable. I'd also consider adding another, larger chair that has arms which will look more inviting to sit in. I think your space has a lot of potential and hope to see more pictures later on.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

I agree with Ingrid. The room is screeching for the couch to face the fireplace and if that won't work then second choice would be to put the sofa to the right of the fireplace positioned directly across from the two black chairs side by side with a round table in between. Warmer colors are really the answer and more art and lighting. Keep at it and we can help you with decisions. The people here are wonderful for that.

• andee_gw
    15 years ago

I agree with the above two posters regarding furniture placement and colors. I think you are letting the rug problem drive your room arrangement. Take the rugs away completely for now and forget about them. Get the room arrangement right. Then get a rug that works for the room, both size and color.

I really like the way the black chairs work with the black/wood fireplace.

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

From looking at the picture, it appears that if the sofa is moved directly in front of the fireplace, it'll interfere with people coming up the stairs into the room. I like the idea of putting the sofa to the left of the fireplace (perpendicular to it), perhaps with a sofa table behind it and the two chairs facing the sofa.

• kmallen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the input. I did have the couch facing the fireplace but then it blocks part of the entry way into the room and I thought It didn't look right. Here is a picture that shows the front entrance how how you would walk into the room.

I plan on painting the room a different color and I should probably take out the little decor that I have. That isn't how I have it decorated, I have been taking things out of the room so I can start with a clean slate. The couches are actually a dark chocolate brown color and the rug is just for a visual we plan on getting something different

• kmallen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is some pictures of the room just so you can see the different angles and to see why I couldn't put the couch in front of the fireplace. I will take some pics with the couch placed perpendicular to the fireplace with the two chairs facing each other when my husband gets home.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

It's hard for me to visualize but can you place the sofa under the big window, and the chair facing the sofa. Or reverse with the chairs under the window and the sofa facing the chairs.

I figure this is what k9arlene suggested.

what I meant, except your fireplace is where the credenza is.
    {{!gwi}}

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Having the 2 chairs in front of the window would make the room seem more open and wouldn't obstruct the view as much as the sofa would.

• kmallen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the beautiful photo!!! Okay so here the furniture is like the above photo. I like the idea of laying on the couch and being able to see outside the big windows that is why I put the couch facing them. What do you guys think?

Here is the chairs a little angled as oppose to them being straight towards the couch

• teacats
    15 years ago

LOVE the new arrangement! :)

Consider adding a round table and lamp between the two chairs -- and add a long coffee table in front of the sofa.

Just for now -- try placing the tall tree in front of the tall windows ....perhaps you could sit it in a large dark brown basket?

Just some thoughts -- hope you don't mind!

Jan

• kmallen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, please don't hesitate on saying anything good or bad. I appreciate any feedback. I really like the layout also. What do you think about adding a sofa table behind the sofa and then I was thinking of putting a large mirror above it. The only thing is is that the cutout above the couch isn't in the center of the wall so maybe I could put a plant or something tall in the corner so I could center the mirror or whatever underneath it, if that made sense. Also, I need some ideas on what to put along the wall to cover up all the cable and outlets just to the left of the couch in the pic. Yes, I will definitely need help on where to put lighting since the room has none.

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

Are you going to add lighting and tables?

• kmallen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I plan on it I just am not quite sure where yet. If we do a sofa table behind the sofa I thought I would put a couple there but I need some ideas on where else.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Let's see: how about a dark-framed round mirror above the fireplace mantel? For a more modern or contemporary look -- consider painting the fireplace mantel and surround to satin black or deep chocolate brown.

THEN look for a very large modern artwork for the wall above the sofa -- or maybe two medium-sized ones OR a grid of artworks or photos (similar to the artwork grid in the inspiration photo above)

IF you choose to do a grid of artworks or photos -- then remember to hang the items quite close together so that the viewer's eye "sees" them as one large artwork.

Instead of a sofa table -- how about adding a standing lamp on the right-hand side of the sofa AND a smaller end table on the left-hand side with a table lamp? THEN you would have lighting between the two dark chairs AND on each side of the sofa -- which would give you a nice "ring" of lighting options.

ANOTHER thought would be to move the sofa back a bit closer to the wall -- and then you would have room to have a round coffee table -- which would work well with a round mirror above the fireplace!

Jan

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Wow what a difference the new seating arrangement makes. Good for you. I think a standing lamp next to the sofa would work best as an accent. I love the idea of a large painting over the couch. When you get that, then pull out a color that you like and get accent pillows that are wider more than high,ectangular and put one on each of the slip chairs. Make sure they match. Then get a few assorted pillows for the couch that contain that color and some patterns. I love the idea of painting the fireplace. I'm priming mine tomorrow to paint. Take your time and make it fun. You'll have to find a round table for between the chairs and a coffee table. Look for interesting objects to place on the tables. Check out pictures that Oceanna has posted in Conversations. They're great inspirations. Good luck and enjoy yourself!!

• Nancy Fryhover
    15 years ago

What about getting a large art piece to put above the couch?

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I really like the new layout. I wasn't sure if the sofa would fit in the left side, but I'm so glad it did. Now you won't have problem w/ arranging the rug. :-D

Maybe once you get the coffee table in you will have a better idea if there's room behind the sofa for a sofa table. I always add the key items first before deciding on the other elements. Definitely get a small table between the 2 armchairs.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Can you move the tall plant into the corner left of the couch where the wiring is? That way it won't obstruct the view of your beautiful windows. Maybe putting the plant inside a beautiful basket or planter would help hiding all the wire.

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

I'm thinking that maybe a nice large unadorned mirror above the sofa will "mirror" the window (and outdoors) opposite it and make it look like a window behind the sofa.

• kmallen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was thinking more along the lines of a mirror above the sofa just because like you said it will reflect the outdoors from the opposite side. I have been looking at some art since I have a lot of wall space to work with and I am really drawn to this piece and was thinking about putting it over the fireplace. Is it too bold?

You guys have been very helpful!!!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

It's a very interesting piece and if you like it that's all that matters. You can always accessorize with some of the colors in the painting but the important thing is what you personally feel about it. I think it might look really wonderful over the fireplace. With art it has to be about what inspires you and I have to say it also resonates with me.

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

Art is a very personal thing. That being said, I happen to like the picture a lot. However, I wouldn't actually buy any art until I was sure what rug I was going to put in the room to make sure the colors coordinate.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

2 chairs to the right of the fireplace with a small oak table or chest in between and a lamp...a table and 2 lamps or floor lamps behind the sofa to the left of the fireplace, with black lamp shades on the lamps to tie the black of the chairs to that side..either a black or an oak coffee table..some end tables might be nice..but optional.

over by the octagonal window see if you can find a 3rd chair and a small table and floor lamp..the chair can match the sofa, be a print or be black, and the table can be black or oak, the lamp should have a black shade..the plant can go there too along with the other items..this will give you a reading nook near the sunshine..and tie the beautiful window into an arrangement.

you should consider another rug..larger than the one you had..but it is fine without a rug..i wouldn't go so busy, maybe a finer print or no print..

maybe put the the pillows that match the sofa on the chairs to tie that color to that side of the room..leaving the patterned pillows on the sofa..you have a beautiful home

• kmallen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually the chairs are a dark chocolate brown. Will a black coffee table still work okay? I kind of like the idea in the inspirational pic that uses the bench/ottoman as a coffee table.
    I was trying to get a rug with a lot of colors to use as a theme for the rest of the room and the house. Maybe I will just use the art as a color theme and not even worry about a rug.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

These decorators can do wonders!!......who would have thought that something as simple would have changed this living room into something so wonderful.....amazing what a few more eyes can do~~~ Definately put a table/lamp between the dk brown chairs with something on it to pull the color to that side...and ottoman/coffee table in front of the sofa....and a pretty rug or painting to pull it all together....plus some plants and some other added color pulled from your rug/and or painting.....NICE JOB!!!!!

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

I think the picture will add lots of color to the room and I don't see any need for an area rug either. I think I'd stay away from a black coffee table. If you want a bench/ottoman for a coffee table, I would go with a very small print/stripe to include beiges and brown and maybe one of your accent colors.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

After looking again....I don't think that those pillows are doing justice to the room.....those chairs look nearly black, so maybe even black or a VERY dark brown would be better....might give it a try. If you sew, I saw some fabric in Hobby Lobby with black, dk brown, and gold that I really loved...they certainly are not hard to make....I just don't have any place to put it in this house....maybe the next~~~

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

That art piece is cool. I would then repeat those colors around the room. Red pillows for sofa, turquoise candles in black candlesticks on top of mantle, other art repeating all of the colors of the main art piece, a large plant real or faux with uplighting behind it to left of sofa as you look at sofa, a coffee table maybe with mixed woods if you can find a piece like that, a table between the two dark chocolate chairs, a floor lamp near chair closet to fireplace. What goes on slanted wall behind chair further away from fireplace. A buffet or other cabinet might look great there with art above that. I might move the sofa and the chairs further away from one another since the space behind becomes useless.

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

I agree with threegrad. I'd like to see the sofa and chairs pushed further away from the fireplace.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Love the art!! I'm not sure about a black coffee table. I'd like to see glass topped if you get a nice rug, that way the room will still appear open.

• kmallen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I moved the furniture back some more. There is about a foot between the back of the couch and wall, do I need to move it back some more?
    Also I like the idea of a end table between the 2 chairs and a lamp but there is a problem with a close outlet. There is an outlet right behind the chair closest to the fireplace and one next to the fireplace. Would it look strange to run the cord underneath the chair into one of the outlets or should there be light else on that side of the room and still have a end table in between?
    Here is the picture of the end table I was thinking of

Here is the room with the furniture pulled back some more

• kmallen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Or, maybe I put an end table in between with no lamp and put a floor lamp in the corner where the tree is?

• enailes
    15 years ago

Room looks amazing, simple changes, huge results. I personally would not run a cord under the chair to the outlet. How about putting the two end tables cady-cornered, one by the chair with a lamp on it, closest to the FP, and the other on the side of the couch closest to the stairs.

I love your picture too and think it would be a great inspiration piece for the room.

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I love your new layout. I'd try putting the rug back in front of the couch and chairs. I think it would pull the area together.

Maybe a glass topped coffee table in the center.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Looks wonderful!

Yes -- run the cord under the chair for the new lamp!

The table is very cool -- BUT do check for the correct height for the table to work well between the chairs (although the table would look lovely at the end of the sofa too ...... ) Best way to check -- sit in the chair -- and literally put your hand out as if you are placing a glass or cup on a table -- and measure the height of your outstreched hand .... really! :)

Jan

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

I'd like to see the sofa and chairs moved farther away from the tip of the carpet. I'd vote for a floor lamp in place of the plant to the right of the fireplace.

• kmallen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

k9arlene, what do you mean by moving the furniture away from the tip of the carpet? Do you mean move the furniture away from the fireplace?

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I think your new arrangement looks great!

I found something really cute to go between the chairs, but don't know if it's your taste. My friend has it and it reminds me of the Eames stool, except alot cheaper :-D

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

Yes, away from the fireplace.

• kmallen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bellaflora- I love the table! I was just worried about getting a all dark wood table would be too much between the dark brown leather chairs. That's why I was leaning more toward a glass top table that was somewhat open. I do love the bedding that it shows with it when you click on "view in room". Do you know anything about this place's bedding? I have never heard of it.
    k9arlene- I can't really see how I would move the furniture farther away from the fireplace. Unfortunately, I have the angled wall that is directly to the left of the sofa If you are looking straight at it. And then I don't know how I would do a mirror or art work above the couch? Also the chair farthest from the fireplace sits in front of the entryway into the room and I'm afraid that if I move it any closer it will fill like it is blocking the entrance. Does that make sense? But, if you think there is a way I am open to any suggestions.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

If I remember correctly, brocade home is a sister store to Restoration Hardware. My friend also has the ruffle quilt that they have on the site, and she loves it. However, I don't personally know the quality of their bedding because I never bought any bedding from them before.

I wish they have that side table in pale bleached wood...or cerused/limed oak.

• nicole__
    15 years ago

I think you need a candle display "inside" the fireplace....

Here is a link that might be useful: Something like these

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

LOVE the windows to the floor! I think I'd want the one chair where it is by the fireplace and the other by the stairs/sofa leaving the window view open.

• estreya
    15 years ago

The new layout is gorgeous - much more balanced, and also more practical. I like everything clustered in a little more, but then again, i've always liked a little room behind my sofa if the space allows. Just enough to get the vacuum behind it. :)

• superlady
    15 years ago

I think the new layout looks really good! Beautiful room you have!