SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottmel_gw

Paint Suggestion for Windowless powder room

scottmel
16 years ago

I am going nuts with paint. I have about 15 different swatches on my powder room walls right now. The room is very small with NO windows. Seems as though any beige i put on there (i.e BM Stone House or BM Sierra Hills) goes peach. Any lighter tan almost hits yellow. I think the lack of natural light is really throwing it out. Anyone out there have a windowless powder room with paint you like in there? thanks!

Comments (45)

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Mine is currently painted RH Sycamore. I had a hard time picking a color also. If you scroll down at the link, you can see some pics of it. If you scroll down further you can see what didn't work!

Here is a link that might be useful: windowless powder room

• robynpa
    16 years ago

My main bath has no windows. We used SW liveable green on the top 1/3 of the walls and will put white beadboard on the lower 2/3s. I am also using GE Reveal lightbulbs in the fixture - they give a very pleasing light.

• Related Discussions

Dark paint in small windowless powder room?

Q

Comments (24)
    Glad to hear you sound excited about the Caponata. 'Tis true that you can never tell what a paint color really looks like until it is actually up on the wall in the room to be painted and interacting with everything in there, including and especially the lighting. I also think painting swatches on a wall, even in the room to be painted, is useless. It's so deceived by the existing wall color surrounding it. I have found that, painting the swatch right up to any trim, coming from behind a fixture, like a sink, etc., really helps to get a good idea as to what the color will look like. Fortunately for you, the light in your powder room doesn't really change throughout the day, since you don't have a window, so you won't get any surprises, like in the morning it's great color, but in the afternoon, it goes blah, or whatever. Let us know what you decide and post pics when and if you're able!
    ...See More

Powder Room-suggestions on wall color/wallpaper

Q

Comments (2)
    wallpaper would look nice
    ...See More

Color suggestions for windowless basement bathroom

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you! That’s a fun suggestion because I didn’t even think about a shade of red. Thinking more blue or green but won’t rule anything out at this point. Thank you!
    ...See More

Paint color for windowless powder room?

Q

Comments (14)
    Your wallpaper is so pretty! I completely agree with previous posters---walls and trim should be a white that matches the wallpaper background. To me, it seems that in that cute powder room you want one "wow" item, either the beautiful wallpaper or a dramatic wall color. Not both. Everything white (semi-gloss on all trim, eggshell or bathroom-matte on walls) will make the wallpaper the star. Light switch cover white. I like what you were going with with the wood on the vanity, but I think in this situation the wood color/undertone clashes with the floor. Also, the backsplash area looks water damaged. I would probably do white semigloss on that wood, allowing the floor to be the only wood accent in the room. You can then switch out towels & accessories periodically for a change in accent color, pulling from the wallpaper. I love the dark red/scarlet.
    ...See More
  • tracey_b
    16 years ago

My window-less powder room is a medium dark gray (pewter-like, but warm). Actually, it's wallpaper, but it looks like a faux paint treatment. I thought it would be too dark, but I really liked it, so I used it. I've loved it ever since it was finished, 10 yrs ago. It gets compliments all the time. I change out my rugs and handtowels between these colors: eggplant, sage, or pumpkin "spice" for a change of pace (since I don't want to strip wallpaper to get a change).

Don't be afraid to use color. I've seen some great pics on here in the same situation where they used darker colors.

Good luck!
    Tracey

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

I used Devine Paint's Filbert in my windowless powder room. It is somewhat dark, but I thought it was the perfect room to do so. It's not like I was going to fool myself into thinking there was a window in there if I used light paint. :)

I was at the "patchwork of colors" on the wall stage when I decided to start using poster board instead.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

My powder room is in progress, but it's TINY with no windows at all. I went with a gorgeous green, but the real tric is to use a lovely color or finish (mine is venetian plaster). This is an excuse to go crazy with color and excite the eye. Stay away from boring beige and look at red :) or gold or green...

{{gwi:1412994}}

{{!gwi}}

• boystown
    16 years ago

Igloochic: That is a beautful color of green----what is the color name and brand, please? Are you doing the VP yourself? It's going to be a georgous powder room.

• graywings123
    16 years ago

I'm hoping a lot of people will respond to this post because I'm having the same issues. My hardwood floors have an orange cast to them, separated from the walls by white baseboards.

Has anyone put Restoration Hardware's Silver Sage in a windowless bathroom?

• Sueb20
    16 years ago

I have BM Piano Concerto in my windowless powder room.

(New switchplace for that switch on the wall is on order! Bugs me every time I go in there!)

• gk5040
    16 years ago

A friend did one of those dark metallic Ralph Lauren paints and it is beautiful...very rich looking...dont be afraid to use what ever color you like, it doesnt have to be white and airy because their are no windows:)

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

I used a chocolate fudge color. I love it. Dark and dramatic. (with white trim and counter)

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

I used RH Sycamore in a room in my last house. I never grew tired of the color and found it very soothing. The room had windows but I would use it in a flash in a windowless room.

Our current PR does not have a window. We used RH Atmosphere Blue on walls and ceiling with a dark modern vanity. Our PR is still a work in progess. It actually looks a little more blue in person.

• parma42
    16 years ago

I know what you mean about the tan swatches turning yellow. We just had our whole house painted and I told the painter to just carry the SW Ivoire into the powder room until I decide what to do with it. It's small with no windows and hardwood. What I ended up with is screaming yellow zonkers and I'm a yellow person. It's got to go.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

If you use GE Reveal bulbs in a windowless room or any room for that matter, it will give you a cleaner light and the paint colors won't "change" to yellow or other muddy colors. My bath is a large closet, no kidding. It has no windows. I have it painted RH Silver Sage that I had mixed by BM. It's beautiful. The lower half is white beadboard.

• citymomof3
    16 years ago

Same problem here! Mine is a dark green right now and it's just not working for me. We're going to put white beadboard with a chair rail about 3/4 of the way up the wall and then I am painting the wall that's left and deep red called Poppy. I need something with some zing in there!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Hey scottmel,
    Painting can be agonizing, can't it? ;D
    I take it this is a different bathroom than the previous one I worked on virtuals for you? (If I recall that one had a window?).

Have you checked out "colors" threads in the Gallery here? (You'll have to scroll back a page, some of us try to keep the 'colors' threads bumped up to page one since so many people get referred to the Gallery, but many have dropped back to page 2 ;)

I'd encourage you not to rule out deeper colors. My small upstairs bathroom was initially a light color. I was hesitant to try something richer for fear it would close in the room. I went with a smoky amethyst color (it's in the "purples" color thread in the gallery), it didn't close in the room or make it dismal at all. In fact it opened it up more. I read an article online once not to rule out deeper colors for small rooms, as they can and do have the effect of opening them up. In a windowless room like your bath (and mine) I wouldn't go too deep in level, then it could feel cave-like. The color I used was about mid-level on a swatch. ;)

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

My powder room is windowless, too, although it does have a skylight in it. We've used Mount Ranier, which is a wonderful creamy white, throughout our entire house. I love how it looks in every room and every time of the day ( and it doesn't look peachy or yellow IRL). I know it's a boring color to many people ;~P, but I like it because it works so well with all the stuff I hang on my walls . . . which is a lot! Oooops, streaky mirror in this pic!
    {{!gwi}}

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Thank you for the compliments on my VP. I am doing the plaster work myself (it was too expensive to fly an old guy from Venice so I learned how instead). I'll pull the name off the can when I'm on the site tomorrow. It isn't a local plaster though, it's the real stuff from Italy (avialable via California). The real stuff has marble in it which gives a sheen that no silica (what we have in the big box store stuff) can give. It also feels like silk once you get it waxed with a good quality commercial wax.

Everyone walks by the room and stops to touch the wall :) I HIGHLY recommend this plaster to anyone who wants to tackle a good arm workout!

(And the name will follow tomorrow LOL) I start the kitchen soon :) It's a soft pumpkin color.

• scottmel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THanks everyone! Keep the suggestions coming! I should have mentioned I HAD green in there previously and was up for a change and that is when my trouble began! Yes, MOONSHADOW, different bathroom! In fact, the master you helped me with I did BM NATURAL CREAM and the color is fantastic in the master against the white beadboard love it! In fact I thought I would use THIS in the powder room - what looked creamy taupe putty upstairs went stark white in the powder room. could be my light fixture - I have an "old fashion" candalabra type in there and the bulbs are kind of glaring like, nothing soft! I literally have 20 small jars of paint samples that I was certain would work in there - trouble is they are all the beige yellow tans I tried from the master project and that just doesn't do it in here at all. 3/4 of my house is painted gold or natural so I was hoping for a DEEP TAN in this powder room and just not flying....I will keep your suggestion in mind though to do the middle of the color strip....BACK to ACE Hardware I go!! :) thanks!

• mommyto4boys
    16 years ago

Mine is wallpaper too. I have now window also, but wanted a dark, rich, elegant look. We have an additional 1/2 bath on the main floor that the family uses. Will this be used by your family daily or just gyest while visiting?

• scottmel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THis bathroom is the most popular one in the house! Right in the entry way of my home...Entryway, dining room and family room are all various gold/yellow shades while the Kitchen and LR are more creamy neutral...so I was hoping to stay neutral or even "dramatic" - my floors are ceramic tile - beigey color but I have to watch they don't go peach with certain colors. I tell you me and paint..I have had it! On a GOOD note though, I am getting BM Sherwood TAN for my bedroom and while dark - I am going to posterboard it in there and see what I think...I don't know though I fear it DARK but maybe not...

• fnmroberts
    16 years ago

I believe a small windowless space creates the opportunity to do something entirely different because the limited natural light will not impact your color choice.

Your choice of artificial lighting will change the look of many colors compared to natural light. In a windowless space your look will be pretty consistent day and night.

We choose halogen pendants for our Powder Room as the main lighting. We also installed a can light with a natural light bulb and a halogen puck in an art niche. The lighting was installed prior to finalizing the color. We selected a fairly dark blue emobssed wallpaper. We like the scheme and have had many compliments from visitors.

A photo is linked below. Additional photos are on the link from "My Page". Good luck in your selection.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1399506}}

• User
    16 years ago

I love the richer colors in tiny rooms. This is our 1/2 bath in the back hallway. No window and it is used by everyone as they come and go from the pool , which is right outside . Sun, moon and stars is the theme and it is a terra cotta color. I love the way it changes .

{{!gwi}}

oops, my hand in the mirror !

{{!gwi}}

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

I just had a teeny-tiny little powder room put in (4'x4.5'), and it has no windows. I did put a sun tunnel in, and it does have a 10' ceiling, which helps make it feel not quite so small. I was going for "cool, calm and sophisticated", so looked for a soft grey for the walls. I used BM Sterling (mixed in an Aura base, since all other paints for the house were Aura), and I really like it ...

It's turning out to be a very pretty little room, which unfortunately is really hard to photograph !

I was pretty worried about the grey before the tile floor went down. The white tile is just enough to brighten the room up.

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Whoah! Cool vanity jerseygirl_1!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

flatcoat, thanks for the photo. I've been looking at grays for my bath and wanted something soft. Sterling is a sample I have, just have not gotten around to poster-boarding it (not ready to take on that project just yet, but soon).

Do you have a photo of the Sterling with lights on in the room?

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

Hey moonshadow ... alas, but electrical finish is not completed yet, so my very pretty lights are not yet functional.

As soon as they are working, I will re-post. Should be in the next week or so.

• yborgal
    16 years ago

Both windowless rooms are painted in Benjamin Moore Olive Branch. The actual color is darker than the first picture and lighter than the second one.

• chiefneil
    16 years ago

Mine was a champagne color paint, but I changed it to a dark brown venetian plaster. I really liked it either way. The champagne color was more light and airy, the dark venetian plaster give it a homey, secluded feel.

Here's a photo - additional photos and my offbeat commentary of the plastering process are in the linked post off the building forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Venetian plaster post in building forum

• justretired
    16 years ago

Navy above, white beadboard below in my 5x5 powder room. I never tire of it.

We have Sherwood Tan in our upstairs bath (we do have a window in that bath) and it looks just great with white trim/crown. It is very nice color and really not too dark. I think it would be pretty in a bedroom.

JR

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    16 years ago

Daisyadair,

I had to laugh at your bathroom photos captioned "After Number 1" and "After Number 2".

(Sorry - I'm like a 10-year-old boy sometimes!)

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

flatcoat: thanks! I'll keep me eye out, appreciate it! ;D

• scottmel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Justretired - you know I have to ask - do you have a pic of your sherwood tan bath??? thanks!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

The pictures ya'll are showing of "tiny" powder rooms are cracking me up! I don't have room for ANYTHING next to my vanity...I don't have room for a vanity LOL and the toilet paper roll was a stretch to fit in mine heh heh Some of these are palatial! A table NEXT TO the sink...good grief I could sleep in there ;oP

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    16 years ago

Igloochic, I know what you mean! I've been in some where your knees are against the opposite cabinet/wall in order to sit down!

• justretired
    16 years ago

Hi Scottmel

I have never posted a picture but I do have a digital camera, so I will try to try. I was afraid you would ask me that!

JR

• scottmel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh JR I feel for you. I can never figure out how to post either!!! IS emailing directly easier? If so: SCOTTMEL@ZBZOOM.NET THANKS!

• justretired
    16 years ago

I'll give it a try-hopefully tomorrow. Did not want you to think I forgot about you.

JR

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Here's what I did with mine. The color didn't photo well here but it's a very pale yellow.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Hand painting is cooler than wallpaper because you can do things like this (I couldn't continue the design because it was headed to a place where the cabinet was mere inches from the wall and I couldn't get in there). And if you're ever tired of it, you can paint it back out in minutes.

{{!gwi}}

Anyway, I dunno how good it looks in pictures, but everyone who sees the room in person gasps in surprise and then says nice things about it, and it wasn't that hard to learn how to do it -- you can do something like this if you want, or any number of faux treatments... like I really like the shiny and dull stripes in the same color paint if you're into a more modern look, and the beadboard if you're into a warmer look. :)

Did you look at the bathrooms thread in the Gallery?

• mary_lu_gw
    16 years ago

I too have a very small 1/2 bath off the laundry room. It does have a small window though. Used a dark color on the beadboard and a glaze on the top.

• scottmel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Oceana. My bathroom is "done" just needs paint. And no matter WHAT COLOR I look at thru the website, etc. - love it, great - just totally changes in my windowless powder room. I know it is part of the lighting I have in there - colonial candlelight type look but I just love the LOOK of the lighting but not the way it affects the paint. Yellow is a very gorgeous color in there but 1/2 of my house is varied shades of yellow so I was trying for something "dark tan" that actually STAYED dark tan!!! Actually I think I might settle on BM Sierra Hills....I am tied of swatching paint!!! :) Thanks for sharing though...

• Tracey
    16 years ago

Wheat Penny

• scottmel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tracey040 - Love Wheat Penny. WHo makes it?

• justretired
    16 years ago

Scottmel

Sent you 2 photos of Sherwood Tan.

JR

• Tracey
    16 years ago

Thanks, scottmel!

It is a Sherwin Williams color

• scottmel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much JR and Tracey! JR sent me pics of BM Sherwood Tan and I do believe I am sold!! Wish me luck....Thanks again!