SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

For those with no upper cabinets , OK w/ spices in drawers?

jakabedy
16 years ago

We're planning a redo of the very open galley kitchen in our MCM home. (For the MCM purists out there, this is a Bonanza-inspired ranchero looking kitchen in want of destruction -- we are not decimating a vintage Eichler sliding-door kitchen!)

The main bank of cabinetry is a 17' long island (I kid you not) with the sink, DW and more base cabinets than I could ever fill. The plan is to have a lot of deep drawers and a few pull-outs in there, along with a cabinet with lift for the stand mixer.

The back wall has a pantry on either side. Between the pantries, left to right, are a 30" base and upper, the range with hood and small cabinet above, another 30" base and upper and then the fridge with its little upper cabinet.

My plan is to lose the upper cabinets in the reno. The plates and glasses can go in a deep drawer next to the dishwasher. It's the spices I worry about.

Are you happy with your spices in a drawer, or in a pull-out? Have you had any problems with the heat of the range affecting spices, oils, etc? (We will have a standard range, not a commercial, extra-hot one). Would I be better served to forget about the pull-outs/spice drawers and just make room in a pantry for my two spice lazy susans?

Thank you!

Comments (29)