SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedajune

For Senior Cats - What Temp. Do You Keep House in Winter?

friedajune
17 years ago

My two cats are 15 years old. One has kidney disease and one has liver disease--nothing acute, simply aging-related, and medication keeps the diseases under control. You cannot tell by their behavior that my cats have any illness at all. They see the vet bi-annually, and the vet praises their muscle tone and overall good health (given the liver/kidney aging). They're also both pretty active, and have excellent appetites. One of my cats has always been thin her whole life (Siamese mix), and has gotten even thinner with age. Both cats seem to be feeling the cold this autumn more than they have ever shown before. I typically have kept the house at 70 or 71 in the past, but now my cats are acting like that seems too cold for them. Last night I raised the temp to 72 (outdoor temp was 32), but I was so warm I had trouble sleeping. Plus, what are my gas bills going to look like? Am I overthinking this? A temp of 71 should be comfortable for cats, right? Does anyone else keep their homes more heated than usual so their pets can be comfortable? I have blankets for them, which they huddle under together, and almost don't come out, which they never did in winters past.

Comments (32)