SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calypsochick

tortured over decision! plywood or mdf?!

calypsochick
14 years ago

Hi, everyone. I have seriously been torturing myself over this decision: plywood or mdf for the box/interiors of my kitchen cabinets?

I had always thought I would be using plywood. When I went to one $$$ cabinet manufacturer in a showroom, the guy was really pushing mdf (doors and melamine-coated interior). He said that believing plywood was the best was an American way of thinking, and that mdf was an excellent top-of-the-line choice. He said at some high-end cabinet dealers, you are only given mdf, and no other choice. He said a lot of European manufacturers only use mdf.

After talking to some other people and doing a lot of research, I just decided I would go for the mdf. Weeks of torture was over.

But then, a general contractor came out today and he asked what kind of cabinets I would be using. When I told him about the mdf, he SCOWLED at it! He said plywood was the best, was pricier, but well worth it. He urged me to reconsider my choice.

And now, I am tortured again. I was confident that whatever material I was using from this expensive showroom would be quality. So I wasn't so bothered. But now that I have come back to the basics of mdf versus plywood, I have no idea!! Which, in your honest opinion, is the better choice overall? I know it's more expensive, so I'm not basing this on budget. I just cannot seem to make up my mind about which is the better choice.

Thank you!

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths