SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

kitten sucking on blanket

newhomeseeker
15 years ago

A kitten found me in July. I think she was a drop off. She was very used to people. I had stopped to get my mail and thought I heard meowing and I called "kitty, kitty" and she ran out of a bush right to me and crawled up my leg. She was very needy, always wanted to be around me. She ate both soft and hard catfood right away. The vet said she was probably about 8 weeks old. She was very tiny though (2 lbs) and had ear mites. I have 3 other cats and she soon took to them. She is almost 6 months old now. She likes to suck at blankets or this teddy bear we gave her. She normally only does this when she jumps up on the bed. She purrs and kneeds at the time as if she is nursing from her mother. I read this means she was probably taken from her mother too soon and that it is something that brings her comfort.

It seems to be more a habit now, whenever she gets on the bed this is the first thing she will do. The other night she laid on my back and did this. She doesn't suck at clothes or fingers or furniture, just soft blankets and her teddy bear (sometimes) She's never attempted to nurse from any of my other cats.

My question is will this behavior cause her any harm? Should it be discouraged or should we just leave her alone (as we have been)? Will she outgrow it? Does this mean she is stressed out or not comfortable living with us?

Comments (4)