SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladynimue

Cheap & quick remodel - anyone else?

16 years ago

Remember my post titled "KD says the cabinets I like are UGLY"? Well, shortly afterwards dh accepted a job transfer and we are moving soon!

So over the next 4 days we're remodeling the kitchen as cheaply as we can, but also as nicely as reasonable (meaning we are very short on time and don't want to overspend).

We are using off the shelf cabinets and laminate counters. Bought a nickel faucet, reusing the stainless steel sink. Will find some cab handles on Ebay. Bought a new door for the pantry. And discovered we will have to re-tile the floor because we can't find replacements to match the existing tile. Will keep the black and ss stove/oven, and buy a new dishwasher to match. Not sure about replacing the white fridge - that's a big expense that I'm not sure would pay off, but might be necessary to make the room look pulled together.

Add some paint and we'll be done. I think I picked the counters and cabs out in about 5 minutes - didn't sweat too much. Very unlike the months of thinking, dreaming, planning, and research I had already put into designing *our* new kitchen. Such a different mind set when the remodel needs to be done quickly and 'neutral' for someone else.

So far we've only spent about $3,500 - I'm sure the new dw and misc. will put us over $4k. That seems like plenty to give away to a new owner. And in a way I wonder why we didn't just do it this way 4 years ago when we moved in!

Is anyone else going this route in their kitchen? I assume not everyone is spending tens of thousands of dollars and several months time on their kitchens?? Any advice for us?

We were in the middle of tearing out the old kitchen, removed a corner wall and drywalled over one doorway/entrance. The next few days are going to be so much fun! (not!)

{{gwi:1574240}}

Here is a link that might be useful: KD says the cabinets I like are UGLY

Comments (8)