SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
namabafo

Christmas Kitchen Gadgets!

namabafo
15 years ago

Opened our family gifts this evening--we like to spread it out.

Dh gave me a fine Microplane zester/grater from the Gourmet series and a 7" Wustof Santoku knife. yee haw! :)

would love to hear what others get!

Comments (52)

• cotehele
    15 years ago

I had so much fun filling DS and his GFs stockings! They have discovered cooking! DS had been cutting with a hunting knife-can't tell kids anything sometimes. I got them each a chef's knife. The funniest thing was the note I got (separately) from each of them about an hour after they got back home. They immediately went in GF's apartment and cut a carrot with the chef's knives. "This thing is brilliant!"

Judy

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Judy, That is priceless!

Linda, But your bowl and pan are multitaskers; mine is the dreaded single use gadgetry.

OT: We are doing a Family White Elephant this year. Eliminating anything kitchen related, I was at a loss as to what to buy. DH and I ended up buying two things we need so if no one wants the items, we will claim them and be happy.

• Related Discussions

Kitchen appliances and gadgets...

Q

Comments (26)
    OK, Judie I have all the items in some form that you have in your picture. This year alone, between garage sales & Amazon, I have aquired the following. vintage Rival meat slicer, Farberware Open Hearth broiler & rotisserie, West Bend indoor electric grill, Waring Pro hotdog grill, vintage Oster super griddle, Marcato pasta machine set with several attachments, vintage 4.5 qt Crockpot, vintage 1.5 hp meat grinder, rotary spaetzle maker. A few things I already had before this year: GE 18 qt roaster oven, Nesco 6 qt roaster oven, Nesco dehydrator, Fagor pressure cooker, Presto 16 qt canner, Cuisinart verticle rotisserie, Chef's Choice electric knife sharpener, Villaware food strainer, Chef's Choice SmartKettle, Breadman bread maker...that's most of it!
    ...See More

What is your favorite kitchen gadget under $25?

Q

Comments (54)
    I print out recipes from on line all the time, but any drop of water will make the ink from the inkjet run and make a total mess of the recipe. So then it dawned on me. I have a clear plastic clipboard from staples. I clip the recipe wrong side down on the clipboard. Then I flip it over. I can read the recipe through the clear plastic, the plastic protects the paper and is easy to clean, and the clipper part holds the recipe up at an angle so it's easier to read. I love it when things work out like that!
    ...See More

What are your favorite kitchen gadgets for under $30?

Q

Comments (65)
    This is an interesting thread. My favorite kitchens items are large Pyrex measuring cups (4 and 8 cup size)to use as mixing bowels---you have a handle to steady them. Next is the APPLE CORER that cuts the apple into 8 wedges and the center core is separate. These can be bought at the grocery store or Target. Next is a flexible little nozzle you screw onto the end of your kitchen faucet. You can turn it in many angles to direct the water to different areas of your sink. Much handier than pulling out the sprayer. I don't know where my daughter bought it. HD bought one of those onion choppers but the many little square holes are hard to clean. The onion sticks to it--takes longer to clean than to chop the old fashion way.
    ...See More

Week 162 - Useless kitchen gadgets that work or not!!!

Q

Comments (175)
    I bought the pull and chop as a present and tried it- now I have to get one myself!! Thanks beachem! I don't know if it is kosher to post here but I saw that bargainhunter above posted about how useful the Thermomix was. I am now selling my older model Euro Thermomix TM21 including the 240V transformer (to allow it to work on North American 120V circuits) on our craigslist if someone wants to try out the Thermomix abilities at a bargain price and is driving distance to Baltimore. It works well and I am including several Thermomix cookbooks. You can pm me if you want to see the listing. I also have a small electric egg cooker that I no longer use since I get consistently perfect hard boiled eggs on my induction cooktop so any gardenwebber is welcome to that if they can pick it up. Also several slow cookers that I don't use since I got my instant pot- just pm me. Would be great if someone could arrange a gardenweb kitchen gadgets or equipment swap /giveaway date some time!
    ...See More
  • deborah_ps
    15 years ago

My sister sent me a wish list item...the largest 24x16 Silpat :)
    I'd wanted one for rolling out doughs and such

Here is a link that might be useful: silpat

• craftyrn
    15 years ago

We had our family Christmas this past Sunday--- always a buffet style-- " browse & gab" fest--- most everyone contributes something for the meal.
    And this year two of my gifts arrived that way.
    My oldest DD brought a warm salsa/cheese dip in a 1 qt "Little Dipper" Rival Crock-Pot--- part of my Christmas gift fom them.
    Second SS & his wife brought me a new 14 in cast iron skillet-- filled with a cornbread !

• keilamarie
    15 years ago

So far a new roasting pan and an ice cream attchment for my KA :) Can't wait to try homemade icecream!

• bri29
    15 years ago

That double boiler looks really cool. I too am using a bowl over a pan. I can't help but feel inferior! :)

We did Christmas with my side of the family last weekend. My mom gave me a little kit of garlic tools. A cylindrical rubber peelers, a garlic storage jar and a little plate with "picks" for grating. I was so proud of myself for knowing what the plate was, but it was only because of the lovely swap gift Janet gave Pam. I can't wait to try it myself!

We'll be heading to my IL's house either today or tomorrow, where we'll be giving my FIL a chef's knife. Other than that, I don't know of any more cool cooking gadgets. I can't wait to see what everyone else posts!

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah everyone!

Bri

• malna
    15 years ago

I got a Oxo food mill! Woo-hoo!
    (DH's ulterior motive - I gifted all the elderberry and raspberry jelly I had stashed in the pantry. He couldn't find any in the fridge this morning, so he graciously allowed me to open my present. The elderberries are in the jelly bag draining as I type:-)

My other stocking stuffer was a crescent wrench - he claims he bought it for me so I can change the propane bottles on the grill and canning stove "all by myself" (?)

He's still trying to guess what is in the big, gift-wrapped box in the freezer that is "To: Him - From: Me". And he's not even close to guessing...

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Roast Carving Tool, but I'm sure it will be handy for pulling roasts and carcass out of the pot or rolling roasts over when browning.
    Giant Potato Ricer, I used it Christmas night and it riced 5 pounds in no time. Unlike my smaller ricer, this one comes apart for easy cleaning and it has hooks to rest it on the side of the pot while you fill the ricer with potatoes.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Okay, so I just pulled out my old ricer and noticed that it does come apart to clean. So much for making the best use of your tools.

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

I got the pan I've been wanting! Yippeeeee!!!!

Nancy

• User
    15 years ago

Fancy shmancy pan Nancy, never seen one like it!

I got (yet another....) set of silicone basters in my stocking. Santa has memory issues....LOL

Also a fabulous electronic scale, I've been using my little Weight Watcher one or the bathroom scales forever! I love it.

The kids got me one of those hydroponic-herb growing-counter top- greenhouse-thingies. Will be perfect here in the winter and at the cottage in the summer. Impossible to grow herbs outside there.

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

No kitchen gifts here. (Other cool stuff!) I will admire everyone else's, though! Great stuff!

• cseim
    15 years ago

I am so exited! I got a Le Creuset reversible grill/griddle and one of the new All Clad crockpots with the removable insert that can go on the stovetop or in the oven! So cool!

I also got some neat books: Martha Stewart's "Cooking School," and a couple books from the Williams-Sonoma Food Made Fast series. So many neat new ideas to try!

Chrissy

• chaplainkent
    15 years ago

This year was a supply of Penzeys Spices blends. I love this company, maybe because I can almost smell their packing plant from my home or their outlet store is so close or their products are just great. Whatever the reason I can never have enough of their products. No, I have no business interest in them. Now I get to try the Chicago Steak Seasoning, Taco Seasoning, and several more of their great blends.

Here is a link that might be useful: traveling and cooking with grandpa

• velodoug
    15 years ago

Santa brought me the 20th Anniversary Edition of Rick Bayless' Authentic Mexican and a Joyce Chen Peking Pan. Both are replacements. My first edition of Authentic Mexican was one of several cookbooks lost in a recent flood. I had a JC Peking Pan that I gave away in a weak moment and have missed ever since.

• pkguy
    15 years ago

We don't exchange gifts between ourselves anymore and just give money to the nieces and nephews. HOWEVER I've heard so much complaining over the last few months about my electric can opener from the one that I live with that I bought him a manual Swing-Away, wrapped it and put it under the tree. Hopefully no more complaints LOL

• dedtired
    15 years ago

I got a hand blender. It's perfect for my "small" cooking, since I am usually cooking for one. I know I also have a nice casserole dish from Crate and Barrel on the way, because I requested it. I'm kind of sorry I didn't ask for a smaller one, but I'm sure I'll use it. New toys are fun! Some of you really cleaned up.

• lindac
    15 years ago

I got 2 more silpat sheets and a stainless bench scraper, unlike the carbon steel one I have with the wooden handle....which rusts in the dishwasher.
    And a Houdini wine opener, and a cookbook form the grandkids' school....which really has some terrific sounding recipes....as well as the usual lame ones, And a new Weber Q.....which hasn't come yet but should be here mid month!
    Linda C

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

I got a meat grinder, probably not as heavy duty as I would have bought, but good enough to do some homemade burgers and sausages. And I got the Aerogarden which I wanted. Going to try cherry tomatoes. We will see how good it is, but at least it is a toy for us gardening junkies stuck in a mid-west winter.

Duane

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

I got a double-burner enameled cast iron grill from Michael Chiarello's Napa Style catalog. It's reversible. I am psyched.

seagrass

Here is a link that might be useful: ...and it's easy to clean

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

I didn't get anything, but I did get for my son a personal drink blender from Big Lots for $22 called Elite by Maxi-Matric. He loves Smoothies! I don't know how well it will work, but figured better then paying $99 for the seen-on-TV-one.(Magic Bullet)
    Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Elite

• User
    15 years ago

I received the Thermapen cooking thermometer that I first heard about from this forum. Actually opened it before Christmas. DH thought I would enjoy having it for my holiday cooking and baking.

My nephew bought me the "Baked" cookbook from the authors of the Baked Bakery in New York. Can't wait to try some of the recipes!

Not gadgets, but food related....DS and future DIL who are living in Denmark gave us two beautiful pieces from Royal Copenhagen - a serving platter and fruit bowl. They are so beautiful!

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

SS condiment cups, a wavy knife/chopper thingie, and a couple of sets of cloth napkins here. Not cooking related but it kind of is....a pair of new Crocs! The red pair from Canny Camp have no tread left on them at all. I love wearing them while doing major cooking/baking as my old feet have seen/felt better days...LOL!

David

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Wow, some great toys were received.

David, you look great in crocs. Raymond got some suede crocs for Christmas.

Amck, I got a thermapen last month, I'm eager to try it.

Duane, I have been eyeing the Aerogarden. I'm look forward to you feedback.

We opened more presents today (Sunday) because DGD was sick Christmas day. I received a large and a small false bottom. I...I mean the gifter was clever to shop at the restaurant supply store; they probably were there looking for gifts for some sort of cooking swap!! I think these will be good for roasts and turkeys.

Here is a link that might be useful: False Bottoms

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Something very old and basic: A set of nested glass bowls.

And something very new: A spatula beater for my stand mixer!!

Arlene

• susie_que
    15 years ago

Well this year the old plastic misto finally went kaphooey so I asked for and got a new one. Its not a Misto-Frank said they did not have them at Bed Bath and Beyond so he got me an Orka mister. Its similar to the old misto only it come with a filter and says its no clog spray perfect for adding herbs or peppers. Hmmm we'll see??
    I also was gifted with a set of Orka ice cube trays and a standard meat thermomter.

My MIL got me a cookbook called "Favorite Brand Names" chock filled with recipes that include COM and assorted other canned condensed soups, velveeta and roll out cookie dough...it was the thought I suppose. I will keep it for awhile-may get some ideas from it so who knows.

There really isn't much more I want or need till we move and get settled.

Cheers!
    Susie

• Virginia7074
    15 years ago

I didn't get any gadgets, but DH, who's been trying to bake the perfect sourdough boule for the past 4 months, got an Oxo digital scale (so he can weight the flour), 2 bench scrapers (DD bought him 2; said buying 1 was too cheap - not sure if they're stainless or carbon steel; will have to see) and a brotform and liner.

• dancingqueengw
    15 years ago

I got a KitchenAid immersion blender!!!! I also got pot clips and a rubber rolling thing that takes the paper off of garlic.

I also got a camera - so once I figure out how to work it AND how to post pictures I will be exceptionally happy.

Sounds like good stuff everyone got!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Elery and I are going to South Padre Island in February as our Christmas gift to each other and so we had agreed that we wouldn't buy Christmas gifts for each other.

I kept my word, the Kyocera ceramic peeler wasn't a Christmas gift, it was simply a replacement for the one he loved and broke. The Woolrich slippers weren't a Christmas gift either, he just needed them. Yup, that's my story.....

He also didn't get me Christmas presents. He bought a new blender because I never use a blender and so I gave the old one to Ashley, I'd gotten it as a wedding gift in 1974, LOL. The new one is a fancy digital model. The pasta attachment for the KitchenAid wasn't a Christmas gift either, he bought it because it had a $20 rebate.

Yeah, that's it.....

Nancy, I love that Maslin pan, it's going to be amazing for making preserves I'll bet. And, just so you know, everything in my kitchen has a name. The bread machine is "Grandma" because it helps me make so much bread. The food processor is "Flash". Makayla just named the mixer, from now on it will be known as "Nancy". :-)

Annie

• sands99
    15 years ago

My brother bought me a double burner buffet with 2 3.5 qt stainless pots with glass lids and brass handles. It's *gorgeous* I need to have a soup party!

Last year he got me a three division heated buffet dish with individual heating knobs. Can you tell he wants me to do all the holidays?? This is my bro who went to Johnson & Wales!! Why am I cooking?? LOL

• JoanM
    15 years ago

My Mom got me the herb soup bowls that I had been lusting over. They are so pretty.

And Santa got me a purple Staub. It helps when you email Santa the direct link to QVC. LOL It doesn't look as purple in the photo as it does in real life. I don't think this one will get put away.

• lindac
    15 years ago

OMG, Joan!! You done good!! I am drooling! Those bowls...aah!
    And the lavandar of that staub would perfectly match that flower in my wall paper!!!

• User
    15 years ago

I have the same reaction as Linda. OMG is right. Love those bowls.

I don't think I have seen the Staub in that colour before. Love it. My Staubs are red.

Ann

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

I too love your bowls! Also love the staub, especially the colour, , as purple or at least eggplant is my favourite colour!
    You guys got some excellant kitchen gadgets for christmas, and some I have never seen before but are now on my list.
    I received a cast iron enamelled 11x13 baking dish in red, and a food saver which I love! Can't believe I have done this long without one.

Shelley S.

• JoanM
    15 years ago

The color of the pot is so pretty. I think it will have to live on the black cooktop as a decoration :-> It is a shaded lavendar in person. Best part... Stamped "Made in France".

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

I was surprised by my DH who gave me the pasta making attachment that goes with my Kitchenaid Mixer. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I will soon. It was surprising because DH doesn't even like pasta, but knows I love it, and I've always commented that it looks like so much fun to pile up some flour, crack an egg into it, and dig my fingers into the mess. I also got a gift certificate to Half Price Books, at which I found the book, James Beard on Pasta, a small cookbook but it looks like it has good information.

I just went out and bought the thing that I told people I wanted but didn't get - a cookbook stand. It's not exactly the style I wanted, but I don't care - anything that gets the cookbook up off the counter and facing me is what I wanted.

Sally

• User
    15 years ago

Joanm, aren't all Staub's made in France?

Sally, have fun playing with your new pasta attachment. I think that you will like James Beard's book on pasta.

Ann

• JoanM
    15 years ago

I thought I had read somewhere that the Staub line for QVC might not have been the same quality and possibly not made in France but that was incorrect. This is the same quality and weight as my Le Creuset. Can't beat 79.99 for a 6 3/4 quart since it is the same quality.

• User
    15 years ago

Sounds like the deal I got a couple of years ago at Costco. I bought a

for me, and the deal was so good I went back and bought a second set for Matthew. $139.00 for the two pots. Ours are red. One is the same size as yours and the other is a 2 or 2.5 quart. Made in France.

I bought Matthew a Mario Batali Lasagna Roasting pan as one of his Christmas gifts this year. Got lucky and found one the same colour as his Staub.

Ann

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

I got a 6 3/4 quart Le Creuset wide Dutch oven in French Blue. I found it at Marshall's for $150 because the color is discontinued, so I put it on layaway. DH "bailed it out of jail" for me and under the tree it went. I have mostly red enameled cast-iron, but at that price I certainly won't quibble ;o) I've been wanting the wide Dutch oven for a few years because of the larger footprint for browning and braising but haven't bought it. The price has been a bit high to justify until now. Now I'm a happy camper.

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

I meant to comment on how nice everyone's gifts are. Joanm, your dishes are beautiful!

Nancy, What is that pot used for? It's so pretty. Is it a specialty pan for cooking a specific dish?

Annie, if you pass through the Dallas area on your way south, let me know.
    Also, be sure to eat at Scampi's when you're in South Padre, and try to get a table either outside if the weather cooperates, or at least situated where you can watch the sunset over the Laguna Madre. It's been 5 years since I've been there, but the food and the service back then were superb.

Sally

• TACHE
    15 years ago

One of our sons gave DH/DC a bunch of kitchen gadgets, The best is a potato masher that looks like a miniature of a terrifying instrument of torture but looks like it will really work. Our favorite is a an avocado slicer that looks like it would work very well for seedless avocados.There had to be one silly one or the family would fall apart

• nan_nc
    15 years ago

DH would not DARE to buy me something for the kitchen unless I had specifically mentioned it by name and brand. And then he wouldn't remember it correctly and would get something else. Not good! It has happened.

I buy my own kitchen stuff, as wanted or needed. I am happy with his annual gift certificate to my favorite resale shop. He knows better than to buy me kitchen stuff!

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Nan, I totally agree. All my kitchen related gifts were purchased by me for me or via a crass detailed email to DD who distributed accordingly.

*I repierced my ears several months ago and needed earrings. I thought asking DH to put some old earrings in my ears for me was an obvious hint. Guess not as he mentioned that I should give him hints.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

The one and only gift I got was a set of 3 Messermeister knives...I LOVE THEM!!!!! and knew I would when I felt them at the store....and Santa was with me...the store owner was telling us that he'd ordered some special sets...and one was a 3 piece with the pieces I'd use the most...PERFECTLY created just for me..LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Love them!

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

Joanm - those herb soup bowls are lovely! Do you mind sharing the name of the manufacturer? My birthday is coming up, and I've got them in my sights!

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

I bought myself the Cuisinart Griddler/Panini and Cuisinart Mini Prep plus, and 2 microplanes....and a few dishes...:)
    Great gifts everyone...Nancy, that pot is great! And such pretty soup bowls...
    Happy cooking!

• compumom
    15 years ago

Terri,
    I cannot see your link, but have a set of Messermeisters and love them! Enjoy, they make a great knife!

This year no one got me anything for the kitchen. Instead, this was the jewelry year. Hey I'm not complaining, DH got me a gorgeous ring and necklace! Before you're all jealous, it took him close to 30 years to surprise me with any baubles at all! So Cathy, let me have a talk with Raymond!

• JoanM
    15 years ago

Shannon, the bowls came from Crate and Barrel but someone else already went looking for them and all they have left is the sage bowl. My Mom picked them up back in July when I first mentioned them.

• earl
    15 years ago

One of my gifts is a Kinetic Color Cast 2-in-1 4.75qt Red Cast Iron Rectangular Roaster W/Grill Pan. It weights close to 20 lbs. One use for it will be a bread pan. I also got a bread cookbook called "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking." I've already made one batch of dough. Just mix the master recipe in a large bowl and keep it in the fridge [up to two weeks.] Want bread, just pull/cut off some dough, form loaf, let it sit a couple hours and bake.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES