SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acdesignsky

Is my dog aggressive or anti-social?

acdesignsky
17 years ago

We have a 2 yo beagle we adopted from a resuce center when he was a few months old. He's a sweet typically loud mouth Beagle. The barking is fine, but in the last year he's developed a habit that is troubling. Whenever he's on the leash for a walk and he sees another dog approaching (even if the dog is 30 ft away), he immediately stops, then drops on his belly with his tail and ears up. He will not budge until the other dog reaches him at which point he barks and lunges at the dog. Not growling or biting, just jumping like in play. Most dogs accept it and rough house with him, but many are scared and will snap or growl at him. The bigger the dog, the less likely he is to jump at it. He'll leap to his feet and sniff, whine, and wag like crazy instead. After he goes crazy for a little while and it's time to continue the walk he'll howl, bark , and squeal until the other dog is out of sight. He doesn't do it when not leashed. We have a common space where a few house back one another and he plays with Labs, English Sheepdogs, and a Westie a few days a week without this behavoir.

The problem is, he makes such a maniac of himself that it's making walking him a chore rather than something to enjoy. So, his walks are getting shorter and shorter. I have to time walks when it's not likely many dogs will be out. If I see a dog in the distance, I will often turn around just to avoid the drama. Other pet owners are afraid of him and won't let their dogs near.

So how can I deal with this behavoir? What exactly is he experiencing? He will completely zone out during these episodes, so he's not hearing me at all. He's not even distracted by food.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)