SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katsmah

Cat aggressive towards my dog

katsmah
15 years ago

I adopted a one year old female cat from a local shelter today. She is very sweet towards people. I have her quarentened in a guest bedroom.

I don't have much info on her as she was a stray found in a store parking lot in July. Once she was at the shelter they found that she was pregnant and in August she had a litter. She was spayed on Oct 30th and I adopted her today (11/08). The shelter said she was good with other cats, unknown with dogs.

I was in the bedroom with her and my dog came upstairs and sniffed at the closed door. The cat started hissing and tried to claw at whatever was on the other side of the door. Then she calmed down. A while later I was back in the room and my dog came upstairs again. This time the cat went balistic. She was growling and hissing. She calmed down some, but when I went to leave the room and made the stupid mistake of trying to move her away from the door with my foot, the anger was redirected at me and I got nailed. I am sick over this.

I'm trying to figure out if she is dog aggressive or if some of this might still be hormones. My dog is 11, has become deaf and doesn't move quickly anymore. I can't have her attacked the same that I was. She has lived with cats for the 7 years I've had her. She can be a noodge to the cats, but would never hurt them.

Anyone who has been through this and can offer suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (18)