SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Where's this black grease/oil coming from beneath the toilet flap

SparklingWater
10 years ago

Our toilet kept running and filled ever so slowly, so our plumber sent his man a month ago. Turned out is wasn't the water inlet pipe which I was glad to hear, and his diagnosis was a leaky water valve assembly which got switched out, but not the flapper valve with the universal two part Fluid Master kit.

When he did this, he noted a heavy black liquid to be present beneath the flapper, so he with house water off, he took off the tank top and did something in there. The black liquid is copious, dark and not easy to get off the porcelain.

Ever since, the toilet has been intermittently running water at times. :/ Today I thought I best get out that new flapper valve and change it out too. I attempted to do so (with house water off as toilet turn valve is stuck) but the bottom of the old flapper was just covered with dark pitch as is the tank now. I quickly put the old flapper back on and hooked the chain, turned back on the house water. I've called the plumber.

What might that black oil like or grease be coming from: why would the original man have to take off the top to do something to fix it? why is the bottom of the old flapper covered in this black?

Thanks very much for any explanation.

-SW

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville