SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

I think I found our next build! Recognize this house plan?

nhb22
13 years ago

I was visiting out of town over the weekend and saw the following house. Does anyone recognize it and know where I can find the plan? It could be a custom home, but also looks like it could be a Southern Living plan. I need the name of the plan.

{{gwi:1427095}}

Comments (44)

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

Have you posted your question to the Building a New Home forum? You may get more responses there. Good luck.

• natal
    13 years ago

Very strange looking house ... like someone just slapped this and that together.

• Related Discussions

I am building a house....i have no idea what i am doing :)

Q

Comments (22)
    We bought our land 4 years before we built our home. We wanted to build our dream home and were not in a hurry to rush into it and then regret decisions made too quickly. I was the designer on the project and honestly enjoyed all that it entailed. We also had a wonderful builder that made the whole process go seamlessly and stress free. After we chose a house plan and had it updated to include the must-haves on our list, I poured over those plans for hours and hours making sure each room was as ideal as possible. Now is the time to decide if you want an HVAC duct in that place or a light switch or outlet in that spot. Decide if you want floor outlets, special outlets in pantries or cleaning closets. Are the rooms the right size? Could a couple feet make a difference anywhere? I sure wish we had made our laundry room 3 feet wider. Choose as many products as you can before your builder gives you his estimate. If you want granite and he's giving you laminate pricing the cost will be more. Also, painting the interior all one color is less expensive than having several rooms painted differently. Are you going with pre-painted siding or having the exterior custom painted? Are you using brick, cultured stone or natural stone? Huge difference between brick and natural stone. Plumbing fixtures vary in price as do lighting and appliances. Make sure he's taking your choices into account with his bottom line. Think about any upgrades in insulation, soundproofing, radiant heating, etc. The best advice I can give from someone who's been there, done that, is to sit down and really think about how you want the house to look, function and feel....and cost. Are there things you can't do without? For us it was a 3rd garage, his & hers master's closets, a computer space off the kitchen area where we can monitor our son, and a particular type of kitchen layout. Break the house plan down room by room if it's overwhelming but KNOW WHAT YOU WANT. If you're unsure of that then you can be talked into a lot of stuff you will find out later you really didn't need or want. Almost all of us have to stick to a budget so the trick is getting what you want overall at a price you can afford. This website is a treasure trove of information that I'm sure will benefit you in the days to come. Good luck on your build and keep your chin up.
    ...See More

building a new custom home - don't think i can make it!! part ii

Q

Comments (5)
    Tiburcio Vasquez, Antonio Perez, Ricardo Requejo, Jose Moreno,.......and then there was the plumber from hell, Rosendo Medina,......I know all about it. The thing that saved me is that I kinda expected most of the screwups and I was always checking AND I know how to correct the problems. That's why it took two years, and who knows how many years of my life. But, the good news is that most of these guys will probably end up receiving amnesty,......just kidding. Was it worth it? It's not clear. But, I can sure live with it 'cause I went in with my eyes open, and we knew exactly what kind of house we wanted (we had unusual requirements), and we knew how much we could afford to spend (almost). Besides, I enjoy building things, and fabricating. It could be worst. Do you fish? My wife and I love it,....it helps a lot.
    ...See More

I think I found a faucet I love....

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks jessie. I did run up to Lowe's tonight. They had the Mystique. Love the look, love the price, but it's HUGE! It had to be the tallest faucet they had on display and easily taller than the Kohler Simplice (which is a nice looking faucet, but seems taller than most...just a guess). I think I need to go stand in front of the sink cab with a tape measure for a bit. And darn it, buehl, I read your response on that other thread. You're awfully convincing! The next time I am standing in the shower, unable to get the thermostatic valve to change temps, I will think of your perfect faucet. ;-)
    ...See More

Think I found an exterior for our new home ....

Q

Comments (8)
    Looks awesome! It is fun hearing people get excited about their projects so I had to respond. Thanks for that! Hang on to this and other inspirational images so you have a soothing reminder of what is yet to come when you get frustrated with the process! It will be great!
    ...See More
  • nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry that you do not like it, natal. The reason that I like it so much is because it is unusual and not boring like a lot of the newer home plans of this generation. The home is also more attractive in person. ;) This photo makes it look squatty, when in fact it is longer than shown. I was cropping out any identifying features as to not give the location away. Privacy issue.

greatgollymolly - This is the forum that I know. Where is the Building a New Home forum located?

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Building a home forum is also here at GW.

I would try to investigate in the area where you saw the house. I wonder if you could find out anything by googling the address or trying the property assessor office in that county? If sold by a builder/company, you might come up with someone to contact.

Do you have a building addiction? LOL!!

tina

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Here you go - here's the link to the new home forum . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: building a home

• deegw
    13 years ago

Natal, as always, charming, gracious and diplomatic.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks tinam61!

I know where the house is, and my BIL knows who owns it. It's also for sale, so I have seen some photos of the inside. The layout is perfect from what I can tell. No upstairs photos, though. My BIL is trying to find out for me, but in the meantime, I wanted to see if anyone recognizes the plan.

Since I was a wannabe architect, I plan to take pencil to my graph paper and work a layout based on the photos, but having the original plan will help me.

• natal
    13 years ago

Deee, excuse me? It's a picture of a house ... not owned by anyone here. To me the architectural elements appear disjointed. If someone else likes it that's fine. Just sharing my opinion. That is what this forum is about.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Natal, obviously NHB likes the look of the house since she'd consider it for her next home. Certainly you are entitled to your opinions and there are no rules at all about expressing them. Sometimes though, the better part of socializing (which is a lot of what we do here) is in what is NOT expressed. You may feel differently and again, are entitled to, but I understand Deee's point.

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

NHB, I spent the last 20 years working as an architectural draftsman for custom homes before retiring two years ago, and agree with you that this looks like a Southern Living plan. It's unique and interesting exterior looks deceiving, and I imagine it's quite a bit larger IRL than it appears on screen. I like it, too, and would love to see it with a stone finish in place of that brick. If I can find the floorplan, I'll share it. You should check on the Building a Home Forum, though, someone there might recognize it right away!

• natal
    13 years ago

If she does choose to build that home you can rest assured I won't make another comment regarding it. That's a practice I try to follow now ... choosing not to post on many threads because something doesn't appeal, but if none of us shared a conflicting viewpoint what would be the point of this forum?

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

The first thing I thought of was "that would look great in stone!" Looks kind of storybookish to me. :)

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

I like it a lot! Yes, as Boopadaboo suggests, it would look adorable in stone, but I like it as featured, in brick too. It looks large...too large for just dh, cat and I, but I'd love a scaled down version!

It has tons of curb appeal that could be enhanced with more landscaping creativity. Would be so fun! Spring bulbs, and pots of pansies would look darling next to that house!

Looks like it could be one story living with guest quarters on the second floor? Very nice!

• deegw
    13 years ago

Natal, I am just stating my opinion about your post. According to you, we should be able to state any opinion, any way we like.

It's not what you said, it's how you said it. You post many interesting and valuable things here but sometimes your lack of regard for other people's feelings astounds me. She said she really liked the house. Surely you could have expressed your feelings without saying the house was "strange" and "slapped together".

And that's my opinion.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh goodness, didn't mean to start a fuss! lol

My opinion: Had I asked what everyone thought about the house, natal's comment would have been appropriate. However, I did not. I have found comments like this more and more on this board. For instance, when someone wants to show off their newly decorated living room, without asking what others think, some members have come back with criticism and ideas to change what the OP has done and is proud of showing off. That's not appropriate to me, unless the OP is asking for more help. I always try to leave positive comments, and if I cannot think of anything positive, I do not comment at all.

Also, natal, you said " It's a picture of a house ... not owned by anyone here." How do you know that the owner doesn't frequent this board?

OK, back to the house.

nanny2a, boopadaboo and stinky-gardener - Stone is exactly what I was thinking! In fact, I remember when this home was being built, I would track the progress each time I went to visit my family. I was surprised that stone wasn't used, but the large pink queen brick is VERY pretty. I believe that most of y'all have seen my previous home of stone and shingle siding. That's how I envisioned this home looking.

This "adorable" home is quite large, with over 5,000 square feet of heated area, maybe even 6,000, plus a 3 car garage with bonus room overhead. The main floor has two bedrooms, and the second floor has three, plus a playroom. The downstairs has a large kitchen/keeping room, breakfast area. A large family room, living room, dining room, and a Butler's Pantry, plus walk-in laundry and pantry. There is a large deck and a screened porch.

nanny2a - My previous home was adapted from a SL plan. I loved the facade, and designed the floor plan to meet our needs. Some of the SL plan layout was used, but most was all me.

I'll try to post on the other board this evening. ;)

• folkvictorian
    13 years ago

Oooh, I really like that house, Newhome! I hope someone can find an answer for you and that we can see the floor plan. I can just imagine it with a BIG front yard with English flower gardens sweeping around the front and along side a winding front walk. The way it's currently built right next to the road isn't the greatest and much charm is lost because of that....it needs a much deeper front yard. When I'm in charge, things will be different! ;)

I especially like the French Tudor swoopy part of the roof line and the unevenness of the features. It makes me think of an English manor that was mostly built in one era but has had additions over the centuries. Good luck and share some more when you find it, please!

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

That's a HUGE house, then! What is pink queen brick? I really do like the idea of brick - a different color - but lately brick has been calling my name. There's some kind of a wash thing over brick that I've seen done on homes in the south - not sure what it's called and they don't seem to do it here in Chicago. Must not be good in our climate but it sure is attractive and adds a softened aged look to a new home. I'll be interested to see if you can find the plans and what they are.

• User
    13 years ago

natal: "...but if none of us shared a conflicting viewpoint what would be the point of this forum?"

The OP did not ask for anyone's point of view. That is the whole point! Cheesh.

NHB - please share the name of the plan if you find it. I love looking at house plans.

• pps7
    13 years ago

I love Tudors! We custom build a house in a similar style and size. We opted to whitewash- which I know is not for everyone. Stone would look great too. Our house was SL inspired; I love their houses. I haven't seen any stock plans that Are similar but I will be on the look out for you. There are 2 things I don't like. One is the bay window/ bump out on the gable to the far right and the other is the gable within the gable at the entry. I think one single sweeping gable would look more classic. If you like these features please ignore :)

here's our home. Still need to finish landscaping and add shutters but homes are never really "done" are they?
    {{gwi:1443404}}

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

I think it's a beautiful house, and I hope you have luck finding the plan. So many of us have searched for months, even years, looking for that one plan that makes us feel like you do about this one.

You can search many websites and find numerous home plans that could be this one, or similar. Few people build a stock plan home without some alteration. Good luck in your search.

Here is a link that might be useful: eplans

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

folkvictorian and pps7 - One of the reasons that I loved the home was because of the "French Tudor swoopy part of the roof line." If I can figure a way without both that and the gamble, I would probably just do one. The long gable reminds me of one of my favorite TV houses from FAMILY.(see link) I like the bay window. That's the guest room. ;)

pps7 - I do like your house, as well. Love that white wash finish!

dlm2000 - Found out that the house is 5,499, not including the unfinished bonus room over the garage. Queen brick is an over-sized brick, and the color is pinkish in this case.

One of the features that I love that is not shown well in the above photo is the front entrance. I'd add my bench.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: FAMILY

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Love the house! In fact it reminds me of some of the more "stately" older/historical homes one would find on Main Street, America.

Beautiful!

• kathleenca
    13 years ago

newhomebuilder, were you a fan of Family?! I LOVED that show & tried hard not to miss an episode. Sada was a tough lady.

The show was filmed in South Pasadena, California, which is filled with bungalows & interesting architecture.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I posted my above reply before reading other's. Pps, what a fantastic home!! Glad you showed it to us.

Natal, if I may...it doesn't matter who lives in the home or not, what you did was rain on NHB's happy parade. This is when we either keep quiet or tell a little white lie so we don't hurt someone's feelings. I've been on the receiving end of your comments, and trust me, it's embarrassing. But I still like you. :)

NHB, I didn't tell a little white lie above, because I do like that house. lol

About stone. Only if you use real stone in the English way (hard to describe) then I'd keep with brick. Whatever you do, NO faux stone!

• pollyannacorona
    13 years ago

It looks like the style of some of Frank Betz home designs. We purchase one similar, and wound up building something different. I had envisioned it as they had it drawn in one pic with light stucco and wrought iron window boxes on some of the top window, very charming and lots of character. Heres some of his designs.

Here is a link that might be useful: frank betz home designs

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, at the time, I loved Family.

oakleyok - Did I mention that the home is only 4 years old?

Joyce - I failed to thank you for that link. Below is the SL house plan that I used to plan our previous home, and then a photo of that home.

Made with Tennessee Crab Orchard Stone

Thanks pollyanna!

OK, let's forgive natal. :)

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

As I mentioned earlier, I thought the house looked quite large, not surprised by the ample square footage! I see why you are drawn to it, NHB! Would love a smaller version of it for myself! It's a pretty house with nice lines and loads of charm, but I'd prefer less space to maintain!

My current, just under 2600 sq. ft. house feels huge to me. My "dream" house would have 1600-1800 or even fewer, sq. feet. But, it's just the two of us, and a cat!

Good luck, NHB! I know you'll find a way to make it happen!

• pollyannacorona
    13 years ago

Your welcome, I saw a couple of his designs have that sloped down roof treatment, sorry they arent the same one, but he has many more designs than just the link shows. Another site is dreamhomesource.com and my favorite is williampoole.com. Another that doesnt sound like they would have anything of quality is the houseplanguys, but dont let the name fool you they have lots of plans from simple to castlelike. Gorgeous designs available out there, sounds like you are liking the character of that design if you havent seen William Pooles plans site treat yourself too it soon. Theres another designer whos plans we purchased and had tweeked and I just cant remember his name right now but he is also on dreamhomesource. Good luck.

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

Thanks Tina for posting the link for NHB. I just am getting to the forum tonight.

I have an idea. If someone wants to post something negative, especially when it's not warranted or asked for, they need to post a photo of what they have and explain why it's better. Sounds fair to me.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL, greatgollymolly!

stinky-gardener - We would not finish out the entire upstairs. We are empty nesters, but want to have larger gathering areas when our children start coming home with their children. A few extra bedrooms also help. ;)

pollyanna - I'll check those designers out, also. I am hoping that my brother-in-law will come through for me. In the meantime, it will be fun piecing this plan together by myself. From the photos, I've already decided on several changes.

• sue36
    13 years ago

Where I live you can go to the town hall and ask to see the plans filed when the building permit was applied for. The copyright owner will be listed on the plan.

• natal
    13 years ago

• Oakley
    13 years ago

NHB, that's why I like the house, it doesn't look new. I grew up on "Main St., USA" and I remember a couple of homes similar to that and just loved them!

In a town near me a builder did a new housing addition with only Craftsman style homes. Oh how I'd love to move into one of them! They look like they've been around for years.

You can buy books full of house plans. DH bought a very nice one when we thought we'd build, but instead added onto the house.

• User
    13 years ago

That's a beautiful home NHB. I agree with you, the elevation of this house is uniquely different and in a very good way. Where we live there are miles and miles of nothing but brick colonial cookie cutter styled homes. Every single subdivision looks the same as the next with nothing memorable about any of them. I can see why you'd find this one interesting.

I love the subtle changes you made to the elevation of the last house you built. Very pretty indeed.

Have you considered just stopping by and asking the homeowners what the plan is? I realize this is something a lot of people wouldn't feel comfortable doing however, I have a friend who was in a similar situation. She lives in a custom home and a couple who had been admiring it stopped by to inquire. As it turned out they too wanted to build something similar. She found it to be a wonderful compliment and even agreed to give them a tour of the interior.

In regards to Natal, I'm late to that party and couldn't agree more with the comments already conveyed. As someone who's been on the receiving end of her hurtful responses more than once, I'd just like to say it's about time she was called on it by the everyone. Unfortunately, ignorance is hard to over come so who knows if things will change moving forward. One can always hope though can't they? :c)

• tinam61
    13 years ago

DLM - are you talking about "liming"? That is popular here in the south and I'm assuming it's the same or similar to white-washing.

Stinky - I feel the same. I'd feel lost in a house that size LOL. Nor do I want to clean or heat/cool it! But, it's only the two of us (no children), and we have very few overnight guests. We don't have plans to down-size, but no up-sizing either. We built our home 13 years ago with the future in mind - such as - NO STEPS. LOL

PPS - I love your home. I enjoyed watching your build on the building forum. I'm glad there are others here who enjoy that board. We're not building, have no plans of building again, but I usually try to look at that board once a month (when I remember!) to see the updates on new builds. I like looking at houses! LOL

tina

• pps7
    13 years ago

NHB, have you seen this plan?

Here is a link that might be useful: SL Cardova

• Oakley
    13 years ago

NHB, (and others) check out this link that was on Hooked on Houses today. It's exactly what we're talking about, a new home built with old-fashioned charm like the one you like!

Oh, and get a load of the second FP they have. It puts the giant one we have in our house to shame! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hooked on Houses New House

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What's with the photo that natal posted? I don't understand what it is.

lukkiirish - That's what my BIL is going to do. He lives near the house and knows the owner. I don't.;) Thank you for the compliment on my previous home.

pps7 - Hmmmmm.....that's a very interesting house plan. I've already saved it in My Favorites. I like the facade better than the above house, but not so much of the inside.

oakleyok - When I get more time, I'll take a look at that link. Thank you!

I did post on the Building forum. So far, no luck.

• User
    13 years ago

I am guessing that natal's picture is in response to this from greatgollymolly:

"I have an idea. If someone wants to post something negative, especially when it's not warranted or asked for, they need to post a photo of what they have and explain why it's better. Sounds fair to me. "

• User
    13 years ago

oakley - thanks for posting that link! I followed the link to the artichect's website where there are even more pictures. There are so many beautiful details in that house. One thing that caught my eye and people often ask on this forum is if it would look ok to paint trim and leave the windows and/or doors stained. That is done in this house and I think it looks spectacular.

• natal
    13 years ago

NHB, it's a depiction of something that's done around here from time to time ... making a mountain out of a molehill(s). Although to give credit where credit is due ... doesn't happen near as frequently as in the past when it seemed somebody was taking offense at something someone said just about every other week.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

OMG,Oakley!!! that house! I haven't even gone past the first picture and am in love.

Tina I'm not sure if the brick finish is liming or not. I lurk (and occasionally drool!) at the Building forum and just remember seeing a few homes that had something applied to the brick and discussions about it. Didn't file it in my hard drive 'cause building a home is not a likely scenario for us.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Don't you just love the outside of it? Did you check out that ginormous FP? What a fun room to have a sleepover in with all our GW buddies! lol

• cupofkindness
    13 years ago

Here's fun book to look at when you are considering house designs. I bought the book, then realized that a lot of these home looked like Texas, specifically the Dallas area. Thankfully, my home isn't pictured in the book!

Here is a link that might be useful: What Not To Build