SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjg911

when to pump septic system tank?

TJG911
14 years ago

how often do you have to pump out a septic tank? i built this house and took occupancy in march 1999. just me and the wife until feb 2002. since feb 2002 it's just me here. so i don't put much of a load on the system. i have never had the system inspected or pumped.

how is the tank pumped out? i assume they have to drive into the back yard where the tank is buried, then dig with a backhoe(?) or do they use a shovel. maybe the tank is close to the surface? do they have to take off the top or is there a hole they uncap and stick in a hose?

i can't talk to my friend who built my house and subcontracted the septic and drains to a very good excavator, not cheap but very good was graham's comment. i knew graham for 35 years, he died 4 years ago so i can't discuss this with him. he was an honest guy and a good friend so i know he did not cut corners. if he told me something it was as good as gold. unfortunately i can't remember for sure but at his house with just him and his wife i thought he said they did their system after 10 or 15 years and i am pretty sure he told me i'd not have to worry for at least 15 years. maybe he had a larger than normal tank put in? i don't know the size of the tank or if there is 1 or 2, seems the town required something that was more expensive... i may have 2 tanks but assuming i have just 1 how do i know when to do this?

tom

Comments (24)