SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

Hot water leak - long story

swampwiz
14 years ago

I'll start from the beginning. I recently purchased an old house. I did the prudent thing and got it inspected. The inspector noted that the hot and cold line was swapped AT THE HEATER (I specifically asked him about this.) So when I go to take my first bath, I was quite angry that there was no hot water. Actually there was hot water, but it was coming out of the cold water faucet. I get back to the inspector who said that it must have been his mistake about where the pipes were swapped (he agrees to pay a reasonable charge to get it fixed.) I get a plumber handyman to come in and swap the pipes behind the bathtub (he put in a panel in the wall behind the faucets and simply repiped the two lines) for a reasonable charge. OK, no problem for a while, and I decide to boost up the temperature of the hot water ...

After a while, I begin to notice a strange hissing sound. Not thinking it could be leak, I try to figure out where it is would be coming from, and figure it must be my neighbor. A few days later, my neighbor's kid (ironically) comes to tell me that I have a leak at that spot. It has been raining, and there is naturally some puddling around my house, but there seems to be a lot more than normal there, and I detect the hissing sound quite strongly. I take off the panel and put my ear up to the 2 pipes, and I get a sound on the hot line, but not the cold line. I check the gas meter, and sure enough, I have used about $150 worth of gas this month (the furnace has been completely disconnected, so that is not the problem!) I call back the plumber, but he is on vacation for a few days, and will get back to me.

I have not been noticing any problem with the hot water, other than perhaps a slightly slower speed flow (but this has always seemed normal to me in the other places I've lived, including my old house for many years.) Certainly, the temperature is as hot as ever.

I guess the first question is whether or not I can place any blame on the plumber, perhaps by moving around the pipes behind the bathtub, that somehow caused a leak at a joint under the bathtub (it seems fishy.) Another question is how difficult is to fix a leaky joint.

And there is the question of how to deal with this situation until it is fixed. As my water is unmetered, the water itself is not a financial problem (although I certainly don't want to be wasteful anymore than I have to.) I can get by without hot water except for bathing once a day. I was thinking about simply turning the hot water heater to pilot, and then simply turning it on an hour or so before taking the bath, and then turning it back to pilot after the bath. I can't see turning the whole water line off as I like to use the toilet in the middle of the night and going outside to turn on the water is quite infeasible.

Comments (5)