SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zboy_gw

Sewer Line To Replace it or not

zboy
15 years ago

We have an old house 85 years old, the main sewer line is original, it is clay. We have lived in the house for 6 years and have had to get the drain rotted out 3 times now. The first was really bad because it backed up into the basement bathroom, which we had the toliet drain capped since we didn't use that bathroom at all. The next two times were not as bad.... Anyways, We are thinking of finishing the basement and would like to avoid the drain backing up, if at all possible.

There have been roots in the drain all three times it has been rotted. Never a mention of pipe being cracked or damaged but drain has not be video taped. The city will be tearing up the street and replacing the city sewer lines on our whole block. We are thinking of getting our sewer line replaced. The only cost savings would be the connection to the city sewer since it will be dug up anyways.

I have called a couple of plumbers and heard "if it ain't broke don't fix it" to "you should definitely replace it even if you are not having problems, it is over 80 years old and it is clay....."

I am trying to gather some unbaised opinions to sort through as I am sure it is not cheap to replace the line plus we have a large old elm tree that from what the city can tell is on top or very close to the sewer line, which removing the tree would be a last resort. Read if the tree has to come down we are not replacing the pipe unless the tree completely blocks,breaks or crushes the sewer line.

Comments (5)