SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pittsburgh_amy

Sewer Line-replace pipes for belly in line & breaks from roots

Pittsburgh_Amy
10 years ago

We are buying a house built in 1900 and had the sewer line inspected. I wasn't very impressed with the job he did since he didn't furnish me with any detailed info and didn't mark anything on the floor. I did manage to take three pictures of the problem areas.

He found a belly in the line 8 feet out (water was sitting in it) and then found some breaks in the line where roots were. At 28 ft out he couldn't get over the break in the line to get farther out. He never found the trap. He recommended replacing all of the sewer pipes in the basement from the sewer stack to the exterior wall (for $7000). Then he said they could get past the 28 ft. to see if more needed to be done. He recommended a trenchless sewer liner for the rest of the line if it needed it.

I had a second plumber come out to give me an estimate. I showed him the pictures and he was surprised that the scope couldn't go past the break in the line. His estimate for replacing the interior pipes was $3500.

Finally, I had a third plumber come out for another estimate. He was also skeptical that the scope could not go past the 28 ft. He was also a little tongue and cheek about what "needed" to be done. He said that a belly in the line would definitely cause problems and should be fixed. He said that the breaks in the line would let water leak out and cause erosion over time so that the line would belly eventually.

So: We will definitely have the belly in the line fixed. But, what should be done regarding the breaks in the line? We have a ton of other big repairs to do to the home and so we don't want to spend money that we don't need to.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Comments (3)