SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uncledewey

Maximum water pressure in home?

UncleDewey
14 years ago

I am responding to message that has been lost. Both justalurker and asosl were helping me. So for them, my status is as follows:

Hi Again,

Thanks so much for your patience, but I finally did get it, although I don't understands the principal of having the tank pressure equal to the water pressure. But I totally trust you guys and I did drain my system so there was zero water pressure. When I checked the tank water pressure it was zero. So I pumped it back to around 55 PSI and was very proud of myself. I turned the water on again, turned off all the faucets, put my tools, and ladder away and it suddenly dawned on me--why was the tank pressure at zero? So back up on the latter, put some spit on my finger and put it on the air valve. As you might have guessed there, was a very slow small bubble, but nonetheless a bubble. Since I have new valves for my car I started all over again. Turn the water off, open faucets, turn off water heater, replaced the air valve, repressurized the tank, and there was no bubble. So I'm now back to where I should be, but will have to monitor the maximum pressure in the tank, but I'm betting all is okay.

Now for the rest of the story. I live in townhome/condo complex and several years ago a unit had a water house spring a leak and caused a lot of damage. Since I was on the homeowners board at the time as well as I walk everyday including around our development. I talked with the owners and they mentioned that their insurance agent had noted 150 PSI--my well water pressure in my previous home had been about 30 PSI. Since I was suspicious I got on the web and that is when I heard the pressure inside the home should not exceed 80 PSI. In those forums/e-mail messages it was suggested that maybe their expansion tank was faulty. My response was "what's an expansion tank?". Well I soon learned the extreme need for not only a good expansion tank, but to even have an expansion tank if you don't already. The developer had never installed expansion tanks in any of 122 units. So we very hurriedly decided to not only install expansion tanks, but to also replace the pressure control valves as they were about 20 years old. We bought industrial quality control valves and new pressure tanks for all 122 units.

Because of that investigation I had purchased a pressure gauge and so installed it near my furnace and expansion tank. Without it I would not have known I had a problem. Now I worry about the other 121 units. How does one know, without a pressure gauge, when they are in trouble? Are there symptoms other than an exploding hot water tank? I'm surprised my hot water tank did not open it's safety valve.

One more aside that plumbers might be interested in is another problem we were having. Half of our units had high efficiency furnaces which have acidic drainage and the drain pipes were copper and several units had damage from dripping drain pipes. As you probably know copper will be eaten by the acid, soooooooooooooo we also replaced the copper drain pipes with PVC. I now know more than I ever wanted to know about plumbing. (:-))) Uncle Dewey

Comments (6)