SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntruro

Threaded shut-off valve installation?

ntruro
13 years ago

I'm in the process of installing 1/4 turn shut-off valves in the supply lines of a bathroom sink. The previous ones were original to the house, built in 1963, and wouldn't turn. The supply pipe nipple coming out of the wall is 1/2 threaded brass. I cleaned the threads, applied Oatley "Great White Pipe Joint Compound" to the threads, and screwed on new BrassCraft 1/4-turn valves.

My question is how much should these be tightened? The first time I tried this, I tightened them "hand tight" and then, with a wrench, a 1/2 turn plus a bit more to line them up in the correct direction. I turned on the water and everything looked fine at first; but, after several hours, two of the valves had a few drips of water below them. I tightened them another 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn with a wrench and now they are quite snug, but not pointing in the desired direction.

Also, how tight should the 1/2 inch brass nipples be? I removed and cleaned them and then applied joint compound and threaded them back in to the iron fitting soldered onto the copper supply line. I tightened these down considerably as they were quite tight when I unscrewed them. Should these be tight? Or, just a 1/2 turn after "hand tight"?

Thanks in advance.

James

Comments (2)