SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
horton_gw

Cold tap/valve on faucet set shutting off!?

horton
15 years ago

I just installed a two faucet assembly on our kitchen sink.

It is a Moen #87865. Hot and Cold valves only, no separate spray attachment included.

On turning on the water [hot and cold] after installation the hot valve works great.

The cold valve however, shuts it's self off at fully open.

I slowly open the cold valve up and water flows normally, as I continue to turn the knob, the water keeps flowing, up until fully open and then shuts off with a clunk.

I then have to close the valve completely.

On opening it up again it runs fine, then shuts off the water at fully open.

I have taken the cartridge out and replaced it, with a brand new one, I obtained from the store, where I purchased the faucet set.

The replacement cartridge also shuts down the water flow at fully open, but unlike the original it will not turn back on unless I open the hot side up first???

Can any one give me any ideas on what may be causing this malfunction?

Is it a water pressure problem?

There is no problem with the hot side, only the cold.

The plumbing, is 1/2" copper pipe, to a shut off valve under the sink, then a flexible line to the faucets, it all runs straight up from under the floor [basement area].

There is no air chamber legs on either the hot or cold lines.

I cannot instal an air chamber leg that would end higher than the faucets/sink because of a window above the sink.

I could instal one with a tee off, just below the shut off valve, but the capped end would be under the sink.

We did not have this problem with any of the old faucets. They were made by a different manufacturer and used different cartridges.

I called Moen's Hotline but the young woman who was there, really could not help with the problem.

She is sending me a replacement cartridge and knob!

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (2)