SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
papilion1

Cookie sheets

bluesky1 (7a PA)
15 years ago

What kind of cookie sheets are you using? I have 2 old brown 'teflon coated' ones that are my favorite and I can no longer find them - I'm sure they are no longer made. What kind do you have that give the best results?

Comments (30)

• lindac
    15 years ago

aluminum commercial grade 1/2 sheet pans.
    I also have one of those old brown teflon things....definitly seen better day! LOL!
    Linda c

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I use a couple of jelly roll pans (non-stick). I have different sizes so they are multi-purpose.

Alexa

• Related Discussions

Cookie sheet brownies or Texas Sheet Cake

Q

Comments (5)
    The link below will give you what you need. I'd suggest cooling the brownies for an hour (or completely cool) then freezing them for an hour before you remove them from the pan via the foil. The brownies will cut better if they are frozen. If you happen to have a roll of Reynolds Wrap RELEASE Non-Stick Foil, this would be a good time to use it. I've used a similar recipe for Holly-Mint Brownies, and cut and decorated the brownies in the shape of holly at Christmas. -Grainlady Here is a link that might be useful: Brownie Footballs
    ...See More

remember the cookie sheet post?

Q

Comments (13)
    I had some cookie sheets and extra large cake pans (from my cake decorating days) I was going to toss them out. Then one day I was cleaning out the oven with Easy Off fume free and thought what the heck I'll try it on those pans. I had never tried it before because I didn't know what it would do to aluminum. Sprayed it on let it set for awhile and wiped...they were sparkly clean again. So about once a year they get a good sparkly cleaning. lol....I sound like a commercial...!!! But it works. Works great on the oven too. patti
    ...See More

How deep for a cutting board/cookie sheet cab?

Q

Comments (5)
    Put up your floor plan. There might be other options. If you have the 12", a pull out cabinet with a Rev-A-Shelf pull out might provide you with an alternative space for spices or remove two of the shelves like I did and have a place for tall oils and vinegars. I used the space above my double ovens, or even the deep cabinet above my refrigerator for my trays, cutting boards and tall baking pans. That's why a proposed floor plan to illustrate your situation would be helpful. There may be alternatives you haven't considered.
    ...See More

Cookie sheet vs. spice pull out

Q

Comments (21)
    No one's suggesting putting your spices in your pantry. Spices in a drawer right beneath your counter are IMO the easiest location for access and visibility, and I've had nearly every spice storage situation imaginable. I even had a spice cupboard in an old 1920s apartment which was amazing...but still not as good as the drawer. But I use a lot of spices when I cook, so having them laid out for me is the best. I have my sheet pans and muffin tins in a cupboard. I adjusted the shelf inside almost to the top and bought an organizing rack. Not as cool as a pull out, but better than stacked. I use sheet pans a lot while cooking, too, so I like to have them handy.
    ...See More
  • centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

I have a couple of old air cushioned ones and a couple of larger jelly roll pan type with a lip all around. I always use parchment, so I don't care about non-stickiness.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

I use pampered chef large bar pans(have been my only "cookie" sheets for years!) and my newest find Doughmaker brand baking pans and sheets...

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

Mine are the same as Linda's. You can get them for less than $10 each at a restaurant supply store, or even at WalMart.

• Marigene
    15 years ago

I have several different kinds, the favorites are Cuisinart cookie sheets and jelly roll pans. They are quite heavy and heat more evenly than some of the others I have.

• Lars
    15 years ago

I recently bought a new Nordic Ware sheet that is golden in color, and I really like it. I also have an air-cushioned one. I have some baker's sheets that look like jellyroll pans, but I never use them for cookies, and I never make jellyroll. I use them for toasting nuts and for other things that might fall off a regular cookie sheet or that have liquid that could run off. I mostly make Danish butter cookies, and they do not need parchment, but when I bake biscotti, I use silpat instead of parchment. I have two silpat sheets which were made to exactly fit the two jellyroll (bakers' sheets) that I have. One fits in the toaster oven, and the other is regular size.

Lars

• User
    15 years ago

I got these at Sam's Club, 2 for $10, they are the best ones I've ever used. I also use parchment paper whenever I bake cookies, it makes such a huge difference.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Lars, are the Nordic ware cookie sheets very heavy? I have been looking for heavy nordicware cookie sheets for several years. I bought a set of 2 about 20 years ago that except for the color look like the ones in the link. They are a bit beyond their prime although they still work fine.
    Does it say on the pan to decrease the temperature by 25degrees? Thats what my old pans say and I have never ever burned a cooke.

• bri29
    15 years ago

I'll third the 1/2 sheet commercial baking sheets. I just picked up a trio of them for $24 at my local restaurant supply store. I had finally had enough of pans warping in a hot oven, so I upgraded.

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

"I had finally had enough of pans warping in a hot oven, so I upgraded."

Amen! I have 5 pans. They are cheap, so get one more than you think you need.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Like LindaC, momj47 and bri, I have the commercial aluminum half sheet pans. Mine are just like Momj47s, I got them for about $10 for a package of two at Sam's club.

I use them for everything. I use them to bake cookies, make jelly rolls, roast vegetables, toast nuts, make croutons, bake baguettes.

I think I need to pick up another package.

Annie

• granjan
    15 years ago

I don't understand using 1/2 sheet pans for cookies. It's VERY hard to lift a large intricately shaped cookie over a rim to cool. My favorite cookie shapes are bigger than my spatulas and I have some large ones. To me a cookie sheet should have no rims on at least 2 sides of the pan so you can slide the cookie onto the rack for cooling, or slide the whole parchment sheet onto the rack.

That said I have 2 in my kitchen for when I make triple and quadruple batches of brownies and bars. I bought them at Costco years ago because they came with snap-on plastic lids. So easy to store things in frig on them cuz they stack. Would love more and have never seen them, the lids, again. (And I'm in restaurant supply places all the time.)

Jelly roll pans or sheet pans are fine for rough and tumble cookies like chocolate chip and snickerdoodles but not fragile, thin cutouts or delicate wafers.

My favorite sheets are 3 old Mirros that I can't find anywhere. I really hate the air cushion ones, the timing is off on them. I bought a couple of the Doughmaker's sheet a few years ago and like them. But the big one is too big and the little ones are too small! But the material is great and no warping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Doughmakers cookie sheet

• marys1000
    15 years ago

I bought the aluminum "jelly roll" sheets and after using one several times and washing it several times I had cause to butter it down for something but then something happened and it sat for awhile. When I went to do a final smear around with my fingers I noticed that the butter/grease turned all grey.
    That's sort of turned me off.

• namabafo
    15 years ago

my favorite cookie sheets are designed specifically for my Dacor oven. They are heavy aluminum and span the whole 30" oven. I can fit 2 doz cookies on each one and I have 3. I never use all 3 in one oven at a time (I have double ovens) but I could!

The only down side is they are too big to fit in my sink! (my one regret of my kitchen remodel is getting a 1 3/4 double bowl sink instead of one large bowl)

I also have about 5 old air bakes and 5 jelly roll pans and one professional 1/2 sheet that I use for various things.

All I can say is parchment is a god-send... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: dacor cookie sheets

• bookmom41
    15 years ago

Another vote for the Sam's club aluminum half sheet pans. I think they are by Polarware ?? Easily, they are the best baking sheets I've ever used.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

I have the ones from Sam's too. Before that it was nonstick and cheapies from Target or Walmart. I tried the airbake ones years ago and didn't like them. I can see granjans point if you are baking delicate or fancy cookies.

David

• Vivian Kaufman
    15 years ago

Sam's club 1/2 sheets. They just do EVERYTHING. I use them for cookies of all sorts, perfect fit for the brownie recipe I use, roasting chicken pieces, roasting vegetables, just everything. Couldn't do without them anymore!

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

I use the same jelly roll pans that several others have mentioned, and use parchment paper on them to make clean up easier. (Well, maybe it doesn't really make clean up easier, because I wash the parchment paper and re-use it several times till it wears out.) I do have a flat, non-stick brown tinted cookie sheet, maybe Calphalon, but I'm not sure, which I rarely use. It's sad, too, because DH gave it to me for Christmas last year. The thing is, I don't like the brown colored baking pans because they seem to over-brown whatever I'm baking. Maybe it's because it's thinner, too. I do know some recipes call for doubling the cookie sheet if the pans are thin, but I only have one of those thin ones, so that's not possible.

Lars, you mentioned your Danish Butter cookies...I just want you to know I've been making those lately to rave reviews. Thank you for posting it last year or whenever it was you posted it.

I just bought me one of those silpats, and tried using it to bake some of the butter cookies, and they flattened out a lot more than when I bake them on parchment paper. I thought that was an interesting result. I won't use the silpat for them again.

Sally

• Rusty
    15 years ago

I have a couple of textured alunimum cookie sheets that I just love, made by Chicago Metallic, I think. I've not had a problem with cookies since I've bought them. I thought the insulated, or 'Air Bake' sheets were great when they first came out, but haven't used them in years. We like some cookies crisp, impossible on the air bake sheets. And, like granjan, I can't imagine using the sheets with sides on them for cookies. Many recipes specify using sheets without sides!
    Sally2, you mentioned a Danish Butter cookie recipe from Lars, I've searched & can't find it, but would really love to try it. Would anyone be kind enough to post it for me? Thank you!
    Rusty

• Lars
    15 years ago

Here's my butter cookie recipe. I made them last week - they're very quick and easy to make. You can also put the dough in a cookie press, which I do when I make them with Eva, since she has a press and I don't.

For the Nordic Ware cookie sheet, I did not decrease the temperature - it was already down to 325°, and they even took a little longer to bake than usual. The NW pan is indeed heavy, and so I think it is not made of aluminum - it feels more like steel, but I have no idea where the gold color comes from. It works great for the butter cookies, and they don't stick, since they have so much butter.

BTW, do not increase the amount of Amaretto. If you add too much, it will be overpowering. I sometimes make them with lemon rind instead.

Lars

• Rusty
    15 years ago

Thank you, Lars, I am very anxious to try these, probably tomorrow.
    Rusty

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

Lars, you read my mind - I wondered what would happen if I increased the Amaretto.

I forgot to mention that I think teflon might have been either banned or voluntarily phased out due to health concerns. If heated up to a very hot temperature, 500 degrees, I think, it will kill a parakeet, and I think there are other health issues that have caused concerns, but I don't remember the stories about it very well.

Sally

• Cloud Swift
    15 years ago

Commercial stainless steel cookie sheets from the restaurant supply store - i.e. no rims on the sides so the hot air can move more easily around the cookies. We also have the jelly roll pans for bar cookies.

I don't like how the aluminum ones get discolored.

I almost always bake cookies on parchment. I like the way they cook and brown when I use it.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

If you're still checking this thread Namabafo, would you mind telling me the dimensions of your Dacor cookie sheets? I don't have a Dacor oven, but maybe they'll fit my ovens (GE Profile Trivection on top & Convection on the bottom). I can't seem to find ones that fit, they're either too small or too big.

TIA!!

• nancyofnc
    15 years ago

My SIL is a professional chef and he gave me two FULL sized very thick aluminum cookie sheets. Needless to say they did not fit in my oven so my DH used his table saw to cut off two sides and then sanded and tapered the edges. Now I have four cookie sheets with two open sides to slide the cookies out and that each have two raised sides to hold onto securely.

Buehl and namabafo - If the cookie sheets for your Dacor are too small or too large (or too expensive) - consider buying ones too big and having them cut to fit by any local handyman. Commercial and professional bakeware is far superior to what you can buy at the local Wal-mart.

Nancy

• bob411
    15 years ago

I found these at cooking.com link that granjan posted. SOMEBODY said they were looking for these, but couldn't find them. They probably come with a warning to not use the plastic lids in the oven. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Nordicware with lids

• noinwi
    15 years ago

Not really a cookie sheet but it works great. My cookie sheets are so old and beat up I hardly use them, so I started using my two 16" textured steel pizza pans that I got a Wally World for $3.50 each. They are light and reflect the heat so my cookies don't over-brown on the bottom and I can get about 15, 2"-3" cookies on each pan. I guess someday I'll have to go look for real cookie sheets in the same material.

• hawk307
    15 years ago

I'm way behind all of you.

Still using the few steel cookie tins that I saved from my Pizzeria. I made the Sicilian Pizza in them. They are double thickness so they don't warp.
    They are about 50 years old. Is it time to change ???
    Lou

• bri29
    15 years ago

Heck no Lou! If you've got something that works for you, keep it! :) 50 year old pans are probably perfectly seasoned!

Bri