SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

Problem window coverings -trying again.

Olychick
13 years ago

A while ago I posted these problem windows for opinions about cafe curtains, which pretty much were nixed by everyone here, and my wordiness made some poor woman's head explode. She doesn't appear to post here anymore, so if long posts are a challenge for you, please stop reading NOW! I now have window film on the bottom halves of them but I am ready to try again for a permanent solution.

I only want the bottom 18" or so to be covered, but not all the time. I want to lower (or raise) whatever is there most of the time so I can fully see out and only cover the bottom part of the window during bathing/dressing time, and maybe at night. I don't need light control, draft control, etc. I don't want cords and really don't want plastic rails installed on the wood, but don't know if I can get around it.

I want the shade (I am picturing pleated shades but am open to anything) to disappear as much as possible, whether on the sill all the time or at the top (if that's the only option). Isn't there any kind of shade that I could just order in an 18" height with the other criteria above, so it will be the minimum possible thickness when not in use, that doesn't need plastic guides and headrails all around the inside of the windows?

Any brilliant ideas? I would love to find tiny little roller shades that could be installed at the bottom of the window and hooked at the 18" point and lowered when not in use, but the rollers seem to be a standard diameter and bigger than I want. Could I make my own on smaller dowels?

Or very thin opaque fabric that could fold up at the bottom of the window and velcro to the tiniest bit of velcro at the 18" point when raised....like a mini roman shade...or???

Am I crazy?

Comments (12)