SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engineeredgarden

electric water heater temp adjustments

engineeredgarden
16 years ago

I have a 40 gallon electric water heater,that has been in service for 14 months,and worked great....until now.It started when my wife told me that something was leaking water onto the laundry room floor.So,me being Mr. fix-it-all, checked out the room and found nothing.The next day,she told me that there was water on the floor again,and that the funny looking brass thing sticking out of the side of the water heater was dripping water.Of course,by the time I got home it wasn't,and I told her that the prv had probably lifted,and sealed back off.I lowered the thermostat settings on upper and lower just a little bit,and figured that it was ok.I also replaced the prv.So,I then turned the power back on,with both thermostat settings at 125.I measured the hot water coming from the kitchen faucet at 132-with a calibrated meat thermometer.I understand that this type of thermostat is somewhat primitive in concern to accuracy,and accept it at that.It popped off again.I went and got my amp meter,and adjusted the setting on the lower unit until the current draw went from 19 amps to nothing.At this time,the indicator needle on the thermostat for the lower unit is between 95 and 100 degrees.I went the next day and bought a new thermostat for the lower unit and installed it.I set both top and bottom to about 130,and everything is fine.After a couple of members in my home took showers-I went to bed knowing that the problem was resolved.I checked the room the following morning,and everything was fine.Good.My wife called me a few hours later and said it was dripping again.So,when I got home,I lowered the settings to about 120.No problems as of yet,but there was not enough hot water for the morning showers......So,i'm gonna tweak them up a little "together"(as I found out today,was the proper way to set them),until I get more hot water for the morning showers-which are at the same time (2 showers).Has anyone had a similar problem,or could give more information about prv's on water heaters.If one lifts,should it be replaced-even though it resets itself?Thanks for any input,and sorry for such a long post.

Comments (3)