SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gutjob

Water Heater Remote Temp Control

gutjob
15 years ago

Hi - I thought this would be an easy fix, but my searches have come up empty. We have a 50 gal. 220 or 240 V elec. water heater IN THE ATTIC (unconditioned space). We have it set to 120 degrees, which is fine for most use, except when trying to use our appx. 90 gal. soaking tub. I would like a way to remotely control the temp. of the heater from the laundry room below the heater, so that I only set it to 140 on the rare occasions when I fill the tub for a bath, and then back down to 120 degrees afterward. Otherwise I have to pull down the attic stairs, climb up into the cold with a flashlight, shoo away the spiders, remove the cover, and turn up the temp - and then do it all again afterward. My only other option seems to be to turn it up to 140 and just leave it there, but that seems pretty wasteful. Moving the water heater to the main level, replacing the water heater with a larger one, or with a tankless one is not an option at this time, so I'm just trying to make the best of a less-than-optimal situation. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Comment (1)