SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mangomoon_gw

Poaching eggs, which method or gadget do you recommend?

mangomoon
14 years ago

Ok, it may seem simple, but it isn't always as easy it may appear. I have read that using a large pot with lots of water is not the best method, as the white becomes stringy and swirls around the pot leaving the yolk all alone, not to mention the white sticks to the stainless steel or non-stick pan for that matter, and when the water is emptied it is hard to clean. Yes I know about the fresh eggs, as I buy from a local grower here, but still I like a perfect poached egg. I have used the non-stick inserts before and they DO stick regardless!! However.... I have yet to try the microwave poachers.

This morning I had an idea after reading article online. I used a narrow pan that I filled with a little water and inserted a small aluminum tart pan (I have a set of two, but only one would fit at a time), and I broke the egg into it. Because it had no hanger or stand, it was hula-hooping around the boiling water. I stabilized it some by using tongs to hold it in place until it set some, then I reduced the heat to simmer and place the lid on the pan. The result was a beautiful round poached egg with the silhouette of the yolk so perfectly centered. Ok...this was A LOT of work and supervising for just ONE perfect poached egg, but this is how I like them to look when making eggs benedict, as presentation to me is highly important with this dish.

I do have a pair of stainless steel rings that are for using in skillets to keep the fried eggs in a round shape, but I am not sure if they will hold the egg in water or not.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Comments (33)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH