SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ms_minnamouse

I posted an open letter in my community about outdoor cats...

ms_minnamouse
11 years ago

The community has a Yahoo group. I just wrote an open letter to outdoor cat owners, describing the things I'm subjected to by outdoor cats (ruining my gardens, parading outside the windows and driving my dogs nuts, leaving mutilated dead and dying wild life corpses, leaving #2 on my pathway, etc.) and I also posed the dangers to the cats, stating that I was concerned for the cats welfare.

You know, to let them know what their neighbors are going through and to change their minds about letting kitty outside. Very objectively and politely written.

It hadn't been posted more than an hour and the first angry response came in from an outdoor cat owner.

I'm wondering, why outdoor cat owners would be angry when I'm the one who is being inconvenienced by THEIR cats? They don't pick up their cat's crap from my pathway, they don't have to calm down my dogs when their cat is teasing them, they don't have to pick up the wild animal bodies, they don't have to put up with their cat meowing outside MY door and all the rest of the stuff that goes on.

I don't walk my dogs on other people's property to use their lawns as toilets. I don't let them run up and accost the neighbors. I don't let them stay outside barking. I pick up after them in public places. I'm respectful and considerate of my neighbors with my pets.

I'm wondering why rules seem only to apply to dogs but not to cats, in the outdoor cat owners' minds?

I don't understand the mindset.

In our county, it's even against the law for cats to be at large.

I know, I can trap them and bring them to the shelter but the point of the letter was to avoid people getting fines and cats possibly never getting reclaimed.

Comments (18)