SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

If any of you remember my post about starting over....

amykath
3 years ago

I have have considered becoming a teacher since January. However, the more I have learned the more I have realized it just is not for me. My gut is literally screaming DO NOT DO IT! So, I know I must listen to my gut.

So, now I am on to other ideas. I am thinkiing of getting involved in Clinical Research. Anyone here have experience in the field? I feel I would need some sort of training or something. I tried it once long ago when my entire life was turned upside down. All they did was give me a binder and left me to it. Terrible experience.

I do think it could be something I enjoyed if I knew what I was doing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I truly appreciate it!

Amy

Comments (94)

• amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Eld, Gramma and Eld, you are right. I need to get over my silly fears!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

The other thing is, if you start getting subbing jobs right away, then you give yourself more wiggle room. You don't want to use up all of your savings while you are looking for a new career.

amykath thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Related Discussions

Anyone remember the post about starting hundreds of seedlings?

Q

Comments (7)
    I think you are referring to the techniqie used by a friend in NC who plants several thousand tomato and pepper seedlings each year by the method you described. I can't find the link here, but it's on another forum and when I tried to paste it here for you it wouldn't let me. You might can find it doing a search for "Dense Planting Illustrated." Hope this helps. I thought it was mighty trite for them to prohibit me from posting an innocent and helpful link like this. Grrrrrr.... Don
    ...See More

I think I need to start a new post or start over

Q

Comments (14)
    If it turns out that you do not have a hard drive or other hardware problem, there is something else to consider. Taking the machine to someone and paying them to figure out and fix your problem may not be cheap or quick. If your machine is capable of running Win 7, maybe your $ would be better spent to upgrade to that...unless you are trying to save files that you absolutely cannot afford to lose. Even if you fix the machine without doing this, you have to identify how and why this infection occurred in the first place. If you do not do this, then all your time-effort-money will be wasted because you will repeat the same errors and will certainly become infected again. Do you have any idea how this happened? Did you download any free toolbars-games-screensavers? Did you open an email attachment without scanning it? Do you normally click on unfamiliar links (especially on Facebook or MySpace) without checking them out first? If you did any such thing, you have to STOP until you learn more about how to keep yourself and your machine safe.
    ...See More

Remember my post about Survivor moving to Sunday?

Q

Comments (6)
    CBS airs both Survivor and Amazing Race. Since Amazing Race has always aired on Sunday, and Survivor has always aired on Thursday, I highly doubt that Survivor would be moved to Sunday unless Amazing Race flops with it and ends up on Thursday. We watch both shows and have never heard that either one is being moved to a new day, other than the announcement two weeks ago that there would not be an episode of Survivor last week and this week it would shown on Wednesday (which is because of the "March Madness" basketball games). And it's too early for Survivor to start talking about when the finale will be shown.
    ...See More

Remember my post about details - here's one we might have missed

Q

Comments (3)
    Currently, you are required to only have one GFI outlet from one of the small appliance circuits. But with a 10' island, it would be a safety hazard to not have outlets somewhere close to both ends. The spirit behind the requirement is so that small appliances don't use extension cords draped everywhere. If you ever want to entertain and use the island as a buffet, it's best to have enough electrical on it to run the warmers, crockpots, and blenders that will be in use. I'd do a quad close to both ends, and maybe even a popup in the middle. That means you will need a dedicated circuit for your MW, and the GFI protected outlets from part of your 2 required small appliance circuits. Because electrical useage has done nothing but increase, I'd go ahead and have outlets from the second small appliance circuit as well. Or maybe outlets from one of the small appliance circuits plus a run of another island only GFI small appliance circuit. You're trying to use the two (or three) circuits to avoid overloading any one with demands. It's never fun just when the party is starting to have to go and flip a breaker and then try to re-arrange all of the juice suckers to not pop it again.
    ...See More
  • eld6161
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Okay, let’s address these fears. What are you most anxious about?

I think if you approach any of these ideas as just a way to generate income, no pressure, it might help.

You don’t want to find yourself with dwindling funds and still without a plan.

You are at an age where a reevaluation is very common. When I was going to grad school for my MSW, half the students there were older and from other careers.

How about finding something you can do and get paid for for one day a week?

amykath thanked eld6161
  • SEA SEA
    3 years ago

Dd is a teacher with two master's degrees. She's in the process of finalizing her credentials. She did the subbing and the TA work as part of her required process. It was a great experience for her to see different teaching styles being a TA and also being a sub gave her the opportunity to see which grade level she preferred. She's (imo) best suited for k-2 but she decided to teach high school even though that age group turns out to be more maintenance than little kids. She really enjoys it. In our state pay scales are determined by the amount of education the teacher has. Dd having two master's degrees is and will be at the top of the scale with subsequent raises as time passes and she gains tenure. Having a just a bachelors degree puts one at the low end, but you already have a master's if I read that correctly somewhere--a tick below top of scale if that's how it works in your area. One can do remote training that counts towards pay rewards in this state, perhaps yours has similar, if you wanted to give it more thought. If housing wasn't so expensive here dd could be on her own with homeownership soon on the horizon, but alas...

Something will resonate with you. Calm your mind and let it come to you. I second or third giving ESL consideration if you don't wish to teach in regular school. It's very rewarding and everyone wins in that situation.

amykath thanked SEA SEA
  • ninasmom
    3 years ago

You could do ESL at night & substitute during the day-see what you prefer.

If neither, then explore other options while this is ongoing.

amykath thanked ninasmom
  • grapefruit1_ar
    3 years ago

Have you considered something health-care related? There are many “ tech” type jobs that offer great benefits with only modest training. There are 12 months of training and I think that you get paid while learning. Our large, local medical center says that at any given time they have about 1500 unfilled positions. Of course many of those are professional positions but many are not. You would be working with a variety of co-workers and clients while having a secure job.

amykath thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • jojoco
    3 years ago

subbing isn’t hard at all! You do have to jump through some hoops to get cleared, light paperwork and fingerprinting, but the actual job isn’t hard at all. Teachers leave very detailed lesson plans and you basically follow them. I always preferred the younger grades versus high school, and that wish was usually respected. The only thing I didn’t like about it was that I felt isolated from the other teachers. I probably could have gone to the teacher lunch room, but I preferred to just bring a lunch and eat by myself.

amykath thanked jojoco
  • lizzie_grow
    3 years ago

Amy,

This was my DD's path to becoming a teacher. Graduated with a BA in Christian Education, then after their daughter started school, she became a classroom asst. From there she became certified doing an online program through Western Governor's. Do at your own pace, pass one section & move on to the next one. She breezed through it pretty quickly. She does not have a Master's, but was hired at the school where she had been classroom asst. & is still there several years later. I don't know you personally, but I think your recent break-up has skewed your self confidence. I firmly believe you can succeed with whatever you do. Acting as a classroom asst. or sub gets your feet wet & gives you a chance to see how it feels. She has also done some tutoring which she enjoys. The Pandemic has certainly made teaching a challenge right now, but she is back in the classroom doing hybrid & that is not easy. Cheering for you!!

amykath thanked lizzie_grow
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Ditto what lizzie said! Just take the leap! (We're right here with you!!)

amykath thanked Tina Marie
  • yeonassky
    3 years ago

Like Lizzie and everyone else I believe you can do it and I am cheering for you! One step at a time and your stage fright will be taken down many notches.

You have nothing to lose by trying this path and perhaps much to gain. No matter what you will learn something from it.

Also it's not like anybody is judging you if you choose differently.

amykath thanked yeonassky
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I want to reply to everyone but it is so early and my brain is still working on waking up. I also live in TX and have not had running water for 24 hours now. I do have power so I am beyond grateful for that.

So, here is my situation as I can see it now. Yes, Lizzie you are right my break up truly screwed me up and affected my confidence. You hit the nail on the head with that!

My fears of teaching are the following:

I have to pass many tests to become certified and my lack of confidence is affecting my mindset.

I fear I won't pass them. Maybe my mind can not retain the info it used to be able to.

It will cost me about 5,000 or more to get through it all.

The only subject that interests me is Social Studies (History, Geography, economics etc). I have been warned it is not easy to find a job as a Social Studies teacher and more likely than not they will want someone to also coach if you are going to be a SS teacher. I have never really played any sports.

Then comes the fear of creating a curriculum.

Finally, I have a fear of public speaking.

Now to address these issues...

Buckle down and study and have faith I can pass these exams

The money is worth paying to get to where I need to be

Use some of my connections to help me get a SS job. I have a couple here in San Antonio.

Find out more about curriculum planning. I know some schools have a group of teachers that come up with the planning as a group, There are also online sources available in helping with planning as well.

I can always take beta blockers in the beginning to help with public speaking. Also I do need to sub.

FInally, the program I would be using has an option to co-teach (for lack of a better word) unpaid for 14 weeks. I have heard this is the best way to get in there and start to understand how to teach by working with and learing from another teacher. That would definitely be something I would wat to do.... even with no pay.

So that is it in a nutshell.

The best part of teaching is I could do it for a couple of years and then get certified to be a school counselor which would be my goal in all of this.

Sorry for the long winded post!! I just wanted to express my feelings and thoughts etc.

I can also get certified in ESL whenever I wanted to do so and if I wanted to that.

One more thing. I have been applying daily to jobs that seem interesting or somewhat up my alley.

• juddgirl2
    3 years ago

"I think the bottom line is I would like to have a job which offers as much job security as possible. I would like to stay in that field until I retire and have some form of retirement pay when I retire."

I've been in your shoes. My advice is to apply for government jobs - city, county or state for stability with future retirement benefits. Don't worry so much if it's not in your chosen field, especially if you don't know what that is yet. You can earn money and get great benefits while figuring it all out, and there are such a variety of positions within government that you can later transfer to a different department. Many city and county workers start out as an admin assistant or entry level positions and quickly work their way up the ladder.

I started working as a 911 police dispatcher at 19 years old, then later went to night school to get my law degree, and have been an attorney with city and county government since then. Retirement and health benefits are very good, and I enjoy the stability. I left my attorney position a few years ago due to stress and some health issues, and was always thinking about making another career change - teaching, librarianship, counseling, etc., so briefly decided to pursue that.

I applied for a few different graduate programs and even started one (MSIS), but I'm eligible for full retirement at age 55, which is just 3.5 years away, and honestly can't imagine spending the time, money, or energy getting another degree or certification at this point, even though I've always enjoyed learning. I'm tired, lol. So when I was recently presented with the opportunity, I returned to my former attorney position to finish out my career. I have a different perspective and focus now and I've always enjoyed my coworkers and using my brain, so trying not to let the stress get to me as much as I used to.

I've figured out there is no "perfect career" for me at this point - it's all work - and to stop searching for the next thing so much and enjoy the benefits of what I have right now, and worked so hard to attain.

Honestly, the 911 dispatcher job was the most interesting, fun job I've ever had. Sometimes stressful, but the type of stress that I did well with - fast and quick but then over and done, with no looming deadlines or endless memos, contracts, or briefs to draft. Every day was different so I never got bored. I still miss it, and in SoCal anyway it was a very well paid position for not requiring any formal education, so I was able to support myself as a single mom for many years. If you don't mind working nights, weekends and holidays, I would highly recommend it. Your counseling education would be a great asset in that job too.

• amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Tnfarmhouse, Very interesting. I would love to get a govt job. The best way is likely to know someone to help you. I know it is not easy getting one and the process takes time.

I would prefer that route over having to take a handful of difficult tests etc.

I will look into this more today and reach out to people I know to see if they could be helpful in helping me get a foot in the door!

Good for you in going to law school! That is quite an achievement!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Question; I've always viewed government jobs as lower paying than the private sector, in exchange for particularly good benefits and security? And people who talk of the great retirement benefits; how long do those take to accrue and vest? Will they be operative for a person joining in their second career?

If you know you really want to be a school counsellor, then it's generally best to pursue something you know you want. If not, i think something in healthcare usually offers very good prospects.

One thing to keep in mind, as mentioned above, is that there are a lot of things that go into the mix for job satisfaction, and it isn't just the job per se ... as odd as that may sound. I've had this discussion with my kids. Job satisfaction comes largely from doing something well and being recognized for it. It also comes from being part of a group or organization. I remember reading about a janitor who worked at the Mayo Clinic. He was very happy and proud to work there. If he been a janitor elsewhere, he may have viewed his role differently and may have found it less rewarding. An extreme example but still illustrative of the broader point, which is that it is really the totality of the circumstances that create job satisfaction. Yes, it is lovely when people can also be doing something they like to do for is own sake, but that can be an elusive goal. Moreover, one often ends up liking whatever they are good at, so it all becomes self-reinforcing.

• amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Mtn, I completely agree. You make some great points.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

BTW, the internet can be brutal, but it is also honest. We have all "known" you a long time and have seen how you make decisions and how you think. We all have confidence in you, and I know it is not misplaced. You can do whatever you put your mind to.

• amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Mtn. I certainly have shared a great deal with you guys about my life. I feel it is a safe space to be open and honest even in my darkest hours.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It means a lot!

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

With a Masters degree, you could start subbing right away. I did it after I graduated until I found a full time position. Nothing like getting a paycheck to boost confidence. Also, gov't jobs usually ask you to take some tests which you can take in advance so that you are ready to apply. And then, just peruse the help wanted ads online. You never know what you may find. I just got a part time job this week without hardly trying, other than seeing it and applying. I had no expectation of being hired, i was already doing another part time virtual gig that I found through a friend. Spend your time trying to find a job, any job and then go from there, rather than trying to pay for more training. The best training is on the job . . . Seriously spend some time with the coaching materials from Ms. Sher, they are great as far as "failing your way to success." I've coached lots of college grads, the only ones who fail are the ones who don't try because they convince themselves they are not qualified or competitive. Let the EMPLOYER decide that, just apply.

As a side consideration, I don't know if I am going to like this new job, be any good at it, or even stay on it, but it will get me back in the game and that is important. I think you need to think more "one day at a time" and not project your anxiety too far into the future. The way the work world is now, people have many jobs over their lifetimes.

amykath thanked l pinkmountain
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks pink. I have been applying. I will keep doing so! Thanks also foro the advise.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Amy, it looks like you feel immobilized by fear and uncertainty. The only way to get out of that cycle is to take the plunge, albeit a safe one. Subbing comes with little risk, has a built-in exit plan, gives you a real feel for the job if you want it. In the meantime, it helps you get out of your headspace, gain confidence and stimulation through interactions and see yourself in a more positive, realistic light. I know it sounds easy and infinitely hard to do, but you need to start with some decision. You have a lot going for you, though it’s hard for you to see it. Take good care and keep talking to us. Much love.

amykath thanked nutsaboutplants
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

The only thing that concerns me about your counseling plan is that.....in reality how many are actually needed in a school? How frequently do these jobs open up? If you looked right now, would there be one to apply for?

Being realistic, all said and done you will be in your early 50’s by the time you can apply. You will be competing with those many years your junior.

I think we need to reassess and see what is feasible for a woman with limited work experience.

You mentioned that you have friends who might be able to help you. I would exhaust that first. Someone once told me that it is easier to look for a job when you already have a job.

amykath thanked eld6161
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks nuts. I already have been approved to sub. I just need to go and my fingerprinting done. Once I can get out and drive I will definitely get it completed and face my fears! BTW, I am in Texas and nothing is really open and the roads are dangerous.

Thanks for the kick in the butt. Sometimes I really need that!!

• amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Eld, I know. I have been applying daily for jobs. Right now, I am just waiting on water from a friend bc I am unable to drive in this weather in TX and I have only had snow to use over the past two days. It is really crazy down here. Plus there is no water to buy bc everyone has gone out and depleted the stores.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

We had lots of part time positions at our college for "counseling." Was not mental counseling, it was helping students fill out their course roster and follow their curriculum to graduation, stay on track with career, etc. like if they needed tutoring support, financial aide, etc. Big need at the beginning and then trickled down. Was part time "as needed" for some folks. Great for people who were semi-retired, but also great way to get foot in the door if a full time position opens up. Colleges also hire part time recruiters. Many of the counselors had a mental health or social work degree.

• graywings123
    3 years ago

Have you every considered living abroad? Maybe the Foreign Service is for you. It's a long, highly competitive process, but it could be a parallel track to pursue as you try other things. Also, maybe teaching English abroad? My nephew and a friend of mine separately taught English in Japan. They were both hired by the Japanese government, I believe, but there are other avenues.

Foreign Service

amykath thanked graywings123
  • jojoco
    3 years ago

Would you consider a small home business while you hunt for the right job? I only ask because I am completely enamored with a small business run by a woman from her home. She creates and sells charcuterie boards near my son's university in NC. The boards are not just meat--she does brunch boards, candy boards, smores boards and even DIY boards. The boards seem to start at about $45 and run to over $100, depending on size and type. The one near my son's school seems to do a ton of business (Valentines, birthday's, finals, etc.) and the business is coming from the parents who send it to their child (thank goodness for FB parent pages.) You could do so well with this idea because you are so creative. Plus, it would get you out of the house and engaging with the community. (It's all about contacts and connections.) It is a business I would love to do, but I have two very sheddy dogs.

Here's an example of her work. I think she charges $60 for it, plus delivery.

I could so easily see you doing this!

amykath thanked jojoco
  • User
    3 years ago

That is a gorgeous presentation! I would bet Aktilery could do even better 👍

amykath thanked User
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

Agreed, but I believe the overall return on investment would be low.

amykath thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If anything I would paint and sell them. Not sure if I have ever shared any of them with you guys. I have sold a few quite a few years ago.

• jojoco
    3 years ago

Ahem, Amy. You've been holding out on us...Pictures please!

• eld6161
    3 years ago

Paint?

• amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok, easy on me. Some of my faves of which I no longer have photos. I ruined two computers and the images were lost forever. Sad. I mostly paint for others as gifts. I really enjoy that.

Ok here goes (I have had no formal training whatsoever... so be kind), Not that you guys would't be.

My favorite painting I have here at home. I will snap a photo and share it. It has such meaning to me I am not sure I could ever sell it unless the offer was quite high.

• jojoco
    3 years ago

All your work drew me in, but the last one is my favorite. It is serene yet full of hope at the same time. Kind of like you. 😊

• amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks jo! That is such a nice compliment!

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Oh Amy, you’re definitely talented! Yes, I like them all, but the last one is my favorite too. It has a sense of movement, like the light is advancing, gently erasing the darkness.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

My second fav is the one on top, the first one.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Very nice;I concur the last one is lovely.

• amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. I know they are not the best but I enjoy painting... even if I am mediocre at it.

• Anne
    3 years ago

I have skipped many responses so know I might repeat others.

I wonder if your county has a resource center. One of my friends runs the one in our county , when I was getting divorced after being a stay at home mom she invited me to come in, I thought it was for low income and uneducated folks.

She helped get me a direction that I am very happy with. Something I never had considered but is perfect for me.

You are a lovely person and if you want to “cry” here please do, we all need a shoulder.

amykath thanked Anne
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That was quite serendeipitious for you! I would love to work for the county, city etc. I thnk your best way as you described it as well is having an in. Getting such jobs can be so tough! You also need to have a great of patience.

I have been applying each day for 3-5 jobs. I also am trying to find someone I know taht could guide me or help me with getting a but of push so that I can actually get in the door.

I would say that would be a fantastic path for me.

Thanks for writing Anne. It has not been easy and I have to admit I am pretty scared at the monent. I just try and remind myself something will work out.

• Sandplum1
    3 years ago

Amy,

I'm late reading this post, but wanted to mention the "Trio" program for which many colleges (including 2 year/community) write grants. The programs include Upward Bound, Gear Up, and Focus. Upward Bound often has a branch specifically for Veterans, as well. The program's offices may be housed on campus. I have taught high school Upward Bound students for eight summers at our small town's college and have become acquainted with employees from all three programs both there and through contact at my regular school.

If you'll Google nearby colleges and Trio Program (and maybe Upward Bound, which usually hires more employees than the other two), you may find counseling, teaching, and advisory positions that interest you.

FWIW, I have complete faith in you!

Long time reader/lurker/rare poster,

Carol

• amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions Carol! I will look into that.

I appreciate your thoughts!!

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I was in biological research, not clinical research, but worked with folks who had come into our company from clinical research positions (the ones I can think of came in from hospital or university settings), The ones from university settings really enjoyed their old careers, but pay is lower than corporate (of course). The ones from hospital settings were less happy with their work environment and added stress - though they did enjoy the actual career. Where I worked we did have clinical results analysts (I I forget the actual job title), who were housed in another building on our campus. Perhaps this is what you are looking for? We hired services from outside for our lab-based clinical researchers.

amykath thanked artemis_ma
  • Star Jeep
    3 years ago

Have you considered joining yaymaker (formerly paint night) to lead groups through a painting? I think they must work as independent contractors.

amykath thanked Star Jeep
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey Star, I would not know how to help anyone paint anything. I would need training myself!

I did start working on making connections through Linkedin and updated my resume as I am thinking going into govt work helping others through the department of family and chidren services for a start. It took me days to fill out their application!

I am just going to have to find the right path and hopefully some connections to get me where me where i want/need to be.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I found a job just be googling with some search terms from my field. It was posted on "Indeed" and came up in the google search. It was local. Totally unexpected. You might see about joining Indeed or something similar if you haven't already. Also, I guess some folks use Linkedin for job searching and posting. You have to pay for that feature. I found Linkedin to be a total pain and also not as great as it is cut out to be for professional things . . . lack of moderation and a lot of hucksters participating . . . but maybe that was just me . . .

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Sounds like you are making progress! Good luck with the Family & Children Services, that sounds like a great fit for you!! I worked for the state and we had great benefits. That's always a plus!

Keep us posted!

amykath thanked Tina Marie
  • amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Pink,

I use Indeed almost daily to find jobs. The one for which I applied in Family and Children Services was posted on Indeed.

Linked in has helped me a great deal. I have been able to connect and talk to many people who work in the same area as I am interested. However, I would not use it as way to find a job. I agree with you on that. It is also not cheap.

Tina, Thanks! Yes, the benefits are to be stellar from people with whom I have spoken.

I will keep you guys posted.

• amykath
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Arapaho. I will!

I want to volunteer at this soup kitchen for the homeless but I worry about Covid. I would be so exposed! I am going to check it out anyway.