SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheshebop

A game! The Twelve Days (Dinners) of Christmas...Let's play!

sheshebop
14 years ago

A dinner consists of:

1. a main dish

2. a veggie

3. another veggie

4. a salad

5. a starch (rice, potato, pasta)

6. a bread

7. a dessert

8. a drink

I will post a main dish. Then the next poster must post a veggie that he/she thinks goes with the main dish. The third poster picks another veggie. The fourth poster picks a salad, etc. until the Christmas dinner is complete. Then the next poster starts with a new main dish. It might be fun to change it up by suggesting the next round of dinners as a Hanukkah entry, or an ethnic main dish...whatever you wish to do. However, if one person starts a Jewish kosher dish, remember to keep all of the sides kosher as well. For ethnic main dishes, research a little to find a side that goes. Or, keep it traditional main dishes, whatever you want. That is up to the next poster after the first dinner is complete.

Feel free to justify your choise, or to add pictures if you are able.

Here goes:

1. Crown roast pork

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (47)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Roasted acorn squash, with maple syrup and butter....the the next veggie better be green! LOL!

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Ratatouille

Makes 7 cups, serving 4 to 6 as a side dish
    2 large eggplants (about 2 - 2 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
    Table salt
    2 large zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 large onion , chopped large
    2 medium cloves garlic , minced
    2 Ripe beefsteak medium tomatoes (ripe), peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
    Ground black pepper

1. Place eggplant in large colander set over large bowl; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt and toss to distribute salt evenly. Let eggplant stand at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours. Rinse eggplant well under running water to remove salt and spread in even layer on triple thickness of paper towels; cover with another triple thickness of paper towels. Press firmly on eggplant with hands until eggplant is dry and feels firm and compressed.

2. Adjust one oven rack to upper-middle position and second rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 500 degrees. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with foil.

3. Toss eggplant, zucchini, and 2 tablespoons oil together in large bowl, then divide evenly between prepared baking sheets, spreading in single layer on each. Sprinkle with salt and roast, stirring every 10 minutes, until well-browned and tender, 30 to 40 minutes, rotating baking sheets from top to bottom halfway through roasting time. Set aside.

4. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion; reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and cook until they begin to break down, about 5 minutes. Add roasted eggplant and zucchini, stirring gently but thoroughly to combine, and cook until just heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, basil, and thyme; adjust seasonings with salt and pepper and serve. (Can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.)

• Related Discussions

New Game!!!! Valentine's Day Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q

Comments (35)
    Attention Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today is last day for signing up for BINGO,So anyone else wanting to play needs to get your words to me by 6pm today after that games closed to new players! I will start the game this evenning! We have Sweet 16 player's so far! I hope everyone has fun,and Good luck to you all! Hugs Susan
    ...See More

Brain teaser Game....come and play

Q

Comments (109)
    lol! the brain out of the Operation game 2) a muffler 3) paint brush 4) coin purse 5) watch 6) Mr. Potato head 7) vitamins 8) chocolate kisses 9)turtle neck sweater a coat long underwear gloves heat plane ticket PICTURE of brug cuttings Halloween candy candy jar sign for the beach greeting card ribbon paint brush stapler piggy bank candle eraser juniper berries dental floss hole punch corkscrew nose ring notepad notebook rock garden journal labels plant ties plant tags knife face mask cough syrup knife incence funnel padlock watering glass bulb scrub brush jig-saw puzzle fireplace matches Basket Brush Cheese slicer Citrus juicer Coat hook(s) Dice Door stop Egg slicer Fruit slicer Garlic peeler Garlic press Glue gun Grocery bag holder Letter opener Music box Night light Organizer Safety pins Soldering iron Splatter guard/screen Tongs Torch Trivet Yarn Book Bumper sticker Comb Coupons Drain stopper Extension cord Harmonica Key board cover Key chain Pencil/pen holder Plastic cups Popcorn Pumice Rainbow Ring Safety glasses Sling shot Slinky Spray bottle Star Telescope Tent Tissue Towel sorry for repeats!
    ...See More

Does You Celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas?

Q

Comments (5)
    When our kids were at home, we celebrated the 12 days of Christmas. We did do gifts, although only the one given on 12th Night/Epiphany/Feast of the Three Kings was a big one. The others were small, sometimes shared (such as a family movie), and for years they involved a treasure hunt each day to find them. They loved the treasure hunts so much that it didn't matter if the treasure was nothing more than a colorful pen or a candy bar. We kept up our tree and lights through Jan. 6th (even got a nastygram from the HOA in one neighborhood for not taking down the outside decorations fast enough.) At least once, but more often on the 26th and again on the 2nd, we had "backwards day" for which we ate pizza for breakfast and french toast for supper and stayed in our pajamas all day. Since we homeschooled, we scheduled a break from Christmas Eve until Jan. 7th. Our kids were into Legos, K'Nex, Puzz3D, and all sorts of building toys, so we spent a lot of our time working together to assemble new sets. We also watched the movies (VHS back then) they received, as well as old favorites. We took turns choosing the menu for each day so that everyone had favorite foods (even when that meant PBJs for supper.) On Epiphany, we enjoyed our first King Cake of the season (which runs until Mardi Gras.) Whoever got the "baby" (we used a plastic baby hidden from the bottom, but some people use a large nut) was the King (or Queen) of the Feast. These days, we're not together for most of the 12 days of Christmas (if at all.) I order King Cakes for each of us from a bakery in New Orleans that delivers them on (or the day before) Epiphany, but that's all we do now.
    ...See More

Let's play a Christmas game!

Q

Comments (137)
    W -> Waiting Game. Children ( and big ones too) do not play the waiting game very well come the Christmas Season
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    14 years ago

do we also post recipes or just our choice of the course?

MANDARIN ORANGE SALAD

3 to 4 c. salad greens broken (leaf, Bibb lettuce, spinach)
    1/4 c. sliced onions
    1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained
    1/4 c. slivered almonds, toasted in butter
    1/4 c. vegetable oil
    2 tbsp. vinegar
    2 tbsp. sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper

Combine the greens, onions, mandarin oranges and almonds.
    Make the dressing with the vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours before tossing with the salad ingredients.

Annie

• caliloo
    14 years ago

FUN! What a great idea for a game, Sherry! Thanks!

I pick Ann T's Parisienne Potatoes

Parisienne Potatoes ===================

3 or 4 large Russet Potatoes 2 tablespoons Olive oil 2 Tablespoons Butter 2 cloves of Garlic Salt and pepper parsley, rosemary or thyme

Using a melon baller, make round balls from large peeled potatoes or you can cut the potatoes into small cubes. Potatoes can be cut up ahead of time and left to soak in cold water.

In a large frying pan, heat olive oil and butter. Dry the potatoes really well and add them to the pan. Saute, shaking the pan occasionally until golden brown and the potatoes are tender. Add minced garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Shake to distribute and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat; add fresh herb of choice,
    parsley, rosemary or thyme. Serve while hot.

TIP: The potato balls can also be deep fried

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Wild and brown rice with mushrooms and pine nuts.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Sorry! We must have been typing at the same time.

how about just simple yeasted rolls?

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Pumpkin Pecan Pie (the only pie I know how to bake:)

• Bizzo
    14 years ago

8. A drink

Spiced Cider...

Only I cheat. I use apple juice, throw in some cinnamon sticks and cloves and simmer on the stove top. Makes the house smell great, and tastes good, too!!

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

A shot of applejack in the cider!
    THAT recipe was easy!

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

1. Prime Rib (We have this every year for Christmas)

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

Here's one of my favorites with beef....

CREAMED CORN

Lawry's (Chicago but now sadly closed)

1½ tablespoons butter
    1½ tablespoons flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1½ cups whipping cream
    2 tablespoons sugar
    3 cups fresh, frozen or canned whole kernel corn

Melt butter in heavy saucepan; add flour and salt, stirring to blend. Slowly add whipping cream, stirring constantly until thickened. Add sugar and corn, heat. For Au Gratin, place corn in a 9 or 10 inch shallow casserole dish; sprinkle with ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese and brown under broiler.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Nancy

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Brussels Sprouts roasted with Shallots

24 small shallots
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    2 pounds Brussels sprouts, preferably small
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Peel shallots, leaving the root ends intact so they'll hold together. Place on a large sheet of foil; sprinkle 1 tablespoon oil over the top. Seal the packet and bake until the shallots are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from foil and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, remove the outer leaves from Brussels sprouts and trim the stems. Cut the small sprouts in half and quarter the larger ones. Place the shallots and Brussels sprouts in a roasting pan. Toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and salt. Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Roast, tossing twice during cooking, until the Brussels sprouts are tender and lightly browned, 25 to 35 minutes.

Yield: 12 servings

Annie

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Spinach Salad with dried cranberries, candied pecans and blue cheese. Blue Cheese dressing of course!

Alexa

• lindac
    14 years ago

Yorkshire pudding, of course
    Now is that a starch or a bread??
    Whatever it's gooooood!
    Linda C

• craftyrn
    14 years ago

Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Potatoes

Individual Potato And Onion Tartes Tatin (M. Stewart)
    =====================================================
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces, plus
    more for pan
    All-purpose flour, for dusting
    1 (17 1/4-ounce) standard package store-bought puff pastry
    4 medium yellow onions, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
    5 small new potatoes, peeled
    Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    pinch of sugar
    . Very generously butter six 5-inch round metal pie plates; set aside. On
    a lightly floured work surface, roll out puff pastry to a scant
    1/4-inch thickness. Using a cutter or a small plate as a guide, cut
    dough into 4 1/2-inch rounds. Prick rounds all over with a fork.
    Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet; chill until firm, about 30
    minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay two or three onion
    rounds on the bottom of each pie pan. Using a mandoline or sharp knife,
    slice potatoes into thin rounds, about a scant 1/4 inch thick. Place
    potato slices, slightly overlapping, over the onion in two layers of
    concentric circles (they should completely cover the onion). Sprinkle
    potatoes generously with salt and pepper. Place chilled puff pastry
    rounds on top of the potatoes in each pie plate. Bake until golden
    brown, about 20 minutes. Immediately invert tartlets onto a platter. In
    a small saucepan, combine balsamic vinegar and sugar. Bring to a simmer
    and cook until mixture reduces to a syrup, about 4 minutes. Whisk in
    butter, a piece at a time, until incorporated. Season with salt and
    pepper. Glaze tartlets with balsamic syrup and serve warm.

• trixietx
    14 years ago

We have prime rib also at Christmas and for dessert, two have to be choclate and coconut cream pies!

• lindac
    14 years ago

Well....since no one has posted....how about a Ridge petite sirah....not fussy about the year!

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Since we have a rather English-style meal going, I say we have wassail or grog to drink!

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Just to clarify - this was Christmas Eve Dinner for many years when I was growing up in Maine.....

Alexa

• lindac
    14 years ago

Butter!! LOL!!

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

We have a Seafood Boil usually for Christmas Eve - sometimes
    on Christmas Day - Coleslaw

• spacific
    14 years ago

lindac---is butter a vegetable?? LOL!
    2. a vegetable

Steamed asparagus spears wrapped in prosciutto with lemon zest.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Man, the only thing I can think of is corn, and that's not a vegetable. Well, for this thread, it's going to have to be a vegetable. :) Paprika comes from pappers, peppers are a vegetable, so corn sprinkled with sea salt and smoked paprika.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

"Pappers" Right. Paprika peppers = pappers.

We all know I can't type.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Big ole Caesar Salad.

• nancylouise5me
    14 years ago

Starch is next right?? I'll go with pomme anna. Thin slices of potato layered between melted butter, salt, pepper and rosemary. Baked and then turned out on a platter. Sometimes we also add thinly sliced butternut squash and granny smiths just to mix it up a bit. NancyLouise

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Steamed or roasted Maine red potatoes with butter and herbs. Ooops! There's that butter again!

• sheshebop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Country French loaf of bread (recipe from Teresa at Panny Camp)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Dessert next? How about a Chocolate Yule Log? Yum!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Yule Log recipe

• JoanM
    14 years ago

This meal should have an Irish coffee with dessert.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Way too easy. Let's try this one . . . your vegan son and his vegan fiancee are coming for Christmas dinner. Your husband is strictly a "meat and potatoes" guy! :)

For starters, "Influenced Greek Stew" for the vegan, marinated pork loin roast for hubby.

The stew recipe comes from "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest" by Mollie Katzen.
    Influenced Vegetable Stew . . . similar to a Greek "stifado/stifatho" but meatless, and containing more vegetables . . .

3/4 cups raw kidney beans, soaked overnight, then cooked in twice their volume of bioling water until tender (1 1/2 - 2 hrs.) and drained.
    Yeah right. I use a can of dark red kidney beans, drained!

3 TBLSP olive oil
    4 med. cloves crushed garlic
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 1/4 tsp. salt
    1 cup THINLY sliced potatoes
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    lots of fresh black pepper
    crushed red hot pepper, to taste
    juice from one large lemon
    2 large carrots, thinly sliced
    1 SMALL head of cauliflower, brokien into small flowerettes (good luck finding a small one!)
    4 med. sized fresh ripe tomatoes, cubed (I use a can of diced ones most of the time)
    2 tsp. honey

In a very large skillet, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil, with salt, for 5 min., or until the onions are soft and translucent.

Add potatoes, spieces, and lemon juice. Cover and cook 8-10 min., stirring occasionally. Add small amounts of water, if it appears to be sticking. (It almost always does!)

Add remaining ingredients exept beans. Cover and let it stew over med. heat about 30 min., stirring occasionally.
    Add the cooked beans, stir, and cover and let simmer about 10 min. more. I'll bet you could make this in a crockpot.

For the pork, the only time I have made it, I used the Emeril recipe below, and it was fabulous and easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger ale marinated pork loin roast

• booberry85
    14 years ago

My brother-in-law is vegan and he likes a raw vegetable tray (carrots, green peppers, red peppers, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, etc) and lots of hummus to dip the veggies in. Sometimes simple is good!

• sheshebop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would have liked to put my black bean cakes here, but that may be too many beans.
    Lori, this is a very clever one!
    How about a butternut squash casserole with onions and a little maple syrup.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

So are we up to starch or bread?

OK, for a starch I suggest a couscous pilaf with dried fruit and nuts to go with the pork and the vegetable stew.

For a bread, I think focaccia with fresh rosemary and asiago cheese.

Someone else feel free to take one of these categories - I got confused as to where we were.....?

• nancylouise5me
    14 years ago

I think we forgot the salad course. How 'bout a nice Waldorf salad. Lettuce, apples, raisins, walnuts, celery, -lemon juice and mayo dressing. NancyLouise

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Hold the cheese on the bread & hold the mayo on the salad. Aren't vegans a pain? :)

How about some gingerbread cupcakes with lemony frosting for dessert

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegan Gingerbread Cupcakes

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I was thinking waldorf salad too. There's vegan mayo called "Nayonaise" if you really want to go hard core. Could be served with a lemon EVOO dressing. I make something like that for Christmas except I use pears. (And frankly blue cheese which I would crumble on the non-vegans salads!)

Last is the beverage. It's really past my turn, so feel free to suggest something else, but I can't resist this one. I have actually made it and it isn't half bad. I seriously doubt that the meat and potatoes husband would like it, but it would impress the fiancee, :)

Tofu Nog (Buy some good real stuff for the mainstream crowd, but easy enough to make for vegan friends)

2 10 oz. packages of soft, silken tofu
    16 oz. vanilla soy milk or rice milk
    1 TBLSP + 1 tsp. real vanilla extract
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 TBLSP brown sugar
    1/4 tsp. tumeric (optional, just for "color")
    1/2 cup brandy (optional, can also use a few drops rum or brandy extract if you like those tastes but not the booze. Also fine without alcohol or extract)
    Dusting of nutmeg for the top

Combine all ingredients except nutmet in a blender or food processor and blend thoroughly, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Serve well chilled. Makes 8 servings.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

We usually have roast beef for Christmas dinner, but I think that would be too easy. How about we start the next round with Rack of Lamb.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Might be easier if we list the next course to be posted. :)

OK, so we need a veggie. How about the Cauliflower dish Trudy posted from Food and Wine?

Roasted Cauliflower with Green Olives and Pine Nuts

ACTIVE TIME: 10 MIN
    TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
    SERVES: 4
    Roasting cauliflower caramelizes the florets, making them supersweet. Tossed with crunchy pine nuts and salty olives and capers, this dish is perfect with roasted chicken or steamed fish.

Ingredients
    1 pound cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    2 tablespoons pine nuts
    1/3 cup chopped pitted green olives
    1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
    1 tablespoon drained capers

Directions
    1. Preheat the oven to 425°. In a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish, toss the cauliflower with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is lightly browned in spots. Add the pine nuts, olives, parsley and capers, toss and roast for about 10 minutes longer, until the pine nuts are lightly toasted. Serve warm or at room temperature.
    Source: Food and Wine (posted by Trudy on CF)

Next vegetable, please?

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Fried Eggplant - slice wedges - dredge in flour, dip in slightly beaten egg, coat in bread crumbs and fry in heavy skillet until lightly brown.
    serve warm - for a real treat -lightly sift powered sugar over the eggplant on the serving platter.

Next is Salad please......

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Roasted Balsamic Asparagus. I think Rack of Lamb calls for the slightly sweet. acidic coating of balsamic on the asparagus...... with lots of cracked pepper and sea salt.

Alexa

• caflowerluver
    14 years ago

I would suggest a spinach citrus salad with almonds.
    Clare

Citrus Spinach Salad

8 cups torn fresh spinach
    1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    1/4 cup sliced green onions
    2 slices bacon, chopped
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
    1 cup Florida Orange Juice
    1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    3 Florida oranges, peeled, halved, and sliced
    1/2 of a medium sweet orange or red pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips
    In a large salad bowl combine spinach, mushrooms, and onions; set aside.
    In a 12-inch skillet or a Dutch oven cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
    Remove bacon; drain on paper towels. Set aside.
    Wipe out skillet with a paper towel. In a bowl combine cornstarch, orange peel, orange juice, garlic salt, and black pepper; add to skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Add spinach mixture. Toss until coated. If desired, return salad to heat and toss 30 to 60 seconds more or until slightly wilted. Return mixture to salad bowl; toss in bacon, oranges, and pepper strips. Put slilvered almonds on top.

Makes 4 servings.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

The starch could be an orzo pasta tossed with butter, peas, mint, salt and pepper.

Bread is next.....

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I would ask Teresa to bring the bread :)
    couldn't resist
    Bread is next...

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Homeade pita, which my lebanese friend used to make. I've never done it, but man was that stuff delish!

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Oops sorry. Dessert is next.
    Unless Theresa wants to chime in with one of her great bread recipes!
    LP

• sheshebop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think that the richness of lamb calls for a simple dessert. What about lemon gelato (I would be happy to fly over to Italy and bring some back!!!)
    Drink is next.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz