SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Does You Celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas?

lynninnewmexico
13 years ago

Many of my friends think it's very strange that we celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas, which means those days after Christmas up through Twelfth Night on January 6th, treating them as holiday time.

As a kid, the entire time from Thanksgiving through New Years was one long holiday for me. But, as an adult with a family, I quickly found the days leading up to Christmas were ones filled instead with cooking, cleaning, frantically shopping for gifts, wrapping, more cleaning, baking, etc. Christmas Eve itself was, and is, a joy. So is Christmas Day, despite the work it takes to host ~ and clean up after~ a yearly large gathering and dinner at our home all that afternoon and evening.

I started to look at the day after Christmas as the REAL holiday for me . . . but had to fight with DH not to take the tree down and "get things back to normal"! The days after Christmas Day became sort of anti-climatic and sad for me. All that work and it was over so quickly!

Sooooo, I finally put my foot down and insisted (strong-armed, actually) that we celebrate all 12 Days of Christmas . . . for my benefit, at least, and we've been doing it ever since. I don't mean to imply that DH takes all 12 off, but we do keep the trees and decs up and we plan special outings, etc for every day.

Everything is very low key, but festive, asnd no extra gifts are involved. Instead it's about time together and time for ourselves . . . time for me!

The 26th is Family Home Day. We spend the day in our pjs or sweats; NOBODY is invited over and we stay home all day and play. We eat wonderful leftovers on festive Christmas paper plates (to cut down on dishes needing washing) and we spend the entire day in our living room by the tree, playing games, playing with new gifts, chatting and napping. It's heavenly!

On the other days through Twelfth Night, we plan casual dinners with friends; catch new a new movie; have a fun dinner out; grill our burgers and watch the rest of our Christmas DVDs, especially the silly ones like "Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation" and "A Christmas Story"; one day we head down to a wildlife refuge to see the snow geese, cranes, etc and do some hiking. We cook together, making homemade Posole (a delicious pork and hominy soup with chile and cilantro) that's traditionally served out here in New Mexico during the Christmas Season. On Twelfth Night, we have a special dinner and then I take the trees down the next morning.

So, do you do celebrate the Twelve Days of Christmas or at least part of them . . . and if so, what kinds of special things to you do on them?

I'm just looking to validate that I'm not the only crazy one ;^D . . . and also looking for other ideas on how to celebrate these wonderful days.

Lynn

Comments (5)