SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bsa54

Elderly blind Pekingese

bsa54
10 years ago

My daughter found a stray elderly Pekingese on her way home last night. The dog was dragging her legs & we thought she had been hit by a car. She had no ID & was filthy with fleas & mats.

We took her to an emergency vet for eval and of course there was no chip. She did not have a broken leg but rather some lower back spinal issues which cause her legs to collapse easily. She seems elderly with bad teeth (many gone), one collapsed eye & cataracts in the other (she seems almost totally blind) and has a mammary tumor of some kind.

On the bright side, we cleaned her up, de-fleaed her, she eating, drinking, urinating, defecating & exploring in her slow tumble way. I am taking her for an eval with my regular vet in a tomorrow. She does not appear fearful.

What can I expect for her quality of life? I know we have to wait for the vets opinion but she seems very sweet, has not snapped or growled & loves being petted. I know nothing about Pekis but hope to help this I'll lady have a bit more comfort as long as she's here. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (13)