SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

Have you ever used a pie crust protector?

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

I usually burn the crust when I make a pie. I've tried covering it in foil, but it never works out. It's tedious, and the foil *always* falls off and the crust burns anyway. Today, I was in Wal-mart buying so vacuum sealer bags and noticed this thing called a "pie crust protector". It is a round ring (what other shape would a ring be but round?) of silicone that fits over the edge of a pie plate to protect the pie crust from burning. It looks wide enough to do an 8 or 9 inch pie. It's dishwasher safe, and even has cut outs for the handles of a glass pie plate.

It was 4.97. As soon is I saw what it was, I decided I'd buy it even it if was 15 dollars. If it saves my pies, and prevents my fingers from being burned by the foiling process, it's money well spent. Mind you I don't like silicone kithen products at all, but I think this appliacation may actually be a good thing. Never had an issue with my silicone rolling pin!

It's an awful green... the color of appliances back in the 70s! Have any of you ever tried one of these things before?

Comments (9)