SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrinainpa

potential septic nightmare (long)

katrinainpa
18 years ago

I hope this is the right forum for posting this potential nightmare. For 6 years we have owned a small 3 br home built in 1941. I'm guessing that the septic system is the same age. Today, the septic pumping guy came out for a routine pumping (4 yrs since the last pumping). After fooling around out there for about 1/2 hour, he came to the house and asked if we had another tank because he couldn't get but 1 or 2 hundred gallons pumped out and, if not, he thought maybe the tank had partially collapsed. He said he looked into the tank with a flashlight and saw alot of rocks. He didn't charge me for what he did today but said he'd send someone else out next week who had more experience with older systems (the owner, I think). Well now I'm worried because last year around this time, I swore to my DH that a 3-4 foot patch of ground in that area had sunk about 6 inches. He claimed that it was always like that. The leach field does not appear to be in trouble (no smells or wetness anywhere - not that I know where the leach field actually is, I'm just making an (un)educated guess)and we haven't had any problems inside the house. I know I might be jumping the gun here, since we haven't had a definitive diagnosis but I'm worried sick that we have a big problem especially given the age of the system. What kind of repair could we be looking at? Does homeowners insurance cover any of it? Anybody else have an older septic system collapse or fail? I'd like reassurance but I'm also a realist.

Comments (6)