SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephmc72_gw

I witnessed something amazing tonight...(long)

stephmc72
16 years ago

Brents 87 year old grandfather is in very poor health. This morning, he was unresponsive at home and was taken to the hospital. His lungs are full of fluid that they can't drain (due to various other health problems). He was intubated and later sedated. The doctors gave a very poor prognosis and basically said that if the ventilator is removed, he would most likely die. He has always felt very strongly about not wanting to be on any type of machine whatsoever to keep him alive so his wife has been struggling with the decision on what to do.

The family was all there today/tonight (there were 10 of us). At 9pm, the hospital chaplain came in to see him and the family. He was still in a room in the E.R. and although they argued somewhat about having all 10 of us in the room to pray with them, they allowed it anyway.

Let me first say that Bill had not moved or been awake all day. He was looking almost comatose. He was totally unresponsive. The chaplain had us all circle around his bed and hold hands. He started saying prayers and not long after he started talking, Bill started twitching a bit. After a couple minutes, he was moving around alot, looking almost like he was convulsing. His body looked almost agitated. All of a sudden, his eyes open. The chaplain starts talking to him, he became very alert and irritated. He was flipping his legs and arms all around. Then his limbs calmed down and he was lifting his head up and looking around at everyone. People were talking to him and told him to look at Ron (his son), he did. They then said look at Lana (his daughter), and he did. He was pointing at something (not sure what), and then doing hand motions, moving his hand from side to side (as if to say "cut" or "no more") and then make an "ok" sign with his fingers, as if to say get this tube out of me, I'm okay. The hospital nurse made most of us leave because he was too stimulated and they then sedated him because he still had the tube and they didnt want him trying to pull it out. But for a few minutes, he was very alert and aware. It really seemed like he knew what was going on and all of this happened as soon as we all gathered around him and started saying a prayer. It really was an amazing sight to see; very emotional and touching. Hard to put into words.

The doctor later came in and said that his vitals all look good. They're trying to drain his lungs through medication and he isn't relying 100% on the ventilator at this point. They are going to wait until the morning and see how responsive he is when his sedation med wears off and then decide if they want to gradually wean him off the ventilator. But the doctor said for as many things as he has wrong with him, he looks pretty good and would say he's "stable". So it's obviously a waiting game and he may or may not be okay, but witnessing what I witnessed tonight was really incredible. Just thought I'd share.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio