SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawk307

What's For Dinner # 257

hawk307
16 years ago

Michelle : You closed the last WFD Post saying that I could give expert advise on the Chicken on the next WFD.

I don't know if I was supposed to start the new one

BUT I DID !!!!! Anyway :

Michelle & Lee: I am far from an expert on cooking anything.

I just wing it, mostly. Guess I'm lucky.

The Chicken was browned a little. Then I put in all the goodies.

Onions , Carrots, Celery and Potatoes. Sprinkled them with

Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Parsley, Black Pepper and Salt

Added a little water w. a tablespoon of Ketsup and put the glass lid on.

I think it simmered for about 1 1/2 hours. Delicious

This is one of my favorites. In between soup and roasted.

No biggy , just basic Home cooking !!!

The pictures were gone in the last Post so I'll put them in here.

In the Skillet browning:

{{gwi:2066269}}

All done ,ready for the table:

{{gwi:2085065}}

Comments (100)

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lou, great looking pizza!
    Marigene, your pasta dish looks delicious...
    Carol, those look great!!!
    I made brisket, mashed potatoes and red cabbage. Leftovers tonight!

• User
    16 years ago

Great looking Pizza Lou.

Sharon, your photos are beautiful.

Marigene, cute ornaments.

OOOH Kathleen, I'd would love what you had for dinner.

Moe and I are both still fighting this nasty bug. Seems to want to hang on. So most meals have not been worth reporting. We did have chicken picatta with a side of Pasta Aglio E Olio on the weekend. And I put a pot of meatballs on to simmer earlier today and we had them over spaghetti for dinner.

• Related Discussions

Samsung RSG257AARS

Q

Comments (3)
    Follow up: I ended up cancelling the order for the Samsung and went to my regular appliance store and bought the KA fridge instead. In the end, the KA only cost $600 more than my "screaming deal" and it's not a return, not damaged, and is exactly what I wanted originally anyway. I feel much better about it--I just had an uncomfortable gut feeling about the Samsung that something was going to go wrong. In the end I realized that of all the appliances, the fridge is the one that has to work 24/7 and the extra expense was worth it to me. I take delivery next week and I hope I love it!
    ...See More

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More

What’s in your pantry? (And can it become dinner.)

Q

Comments (16)
    Here is my orange vegan cake, from Allrecipes originally. I discovered it when we were having vegan friends for dinner but now I use it all the time. Ingredients 1 large orange, peeled (or sub 1 cup orange juice) 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup white sugar 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I have used corn oil or also melted butter but then it's not vegan) 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt Directions Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan. Blend orange in the blender until liquified, measuring 1 cup orange juice (or just use 1 cup orange juice) Whisk orange juice, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. (I usually add a little dash of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter, and then sprinkle a bit of cinnamon-sugar on the top before baking.)
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #387

Q

Comments (102)
    Shambo, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I know he had some health issues and you were cooking low salt and healthy meals for him. I'm sending hugs and strong thoughts and prayers to your and your family. Jack, we are kindred spirits, I swear. When I make twice baked potatoes I'll make a whole sheet pan full of them, mine usually just has cheese, butter and sour cream, occasionally I'll add bacon. I freeze them and then package them usually two per package, Mother loves them and they're easy to heat up. Of course someone is always digging through my freezer to see if I have any, all of the grandkids and the kids love them and they make a fast and easy supper. Jasdip, as you know, I love potatoes in just about any form, so being able to grab a package quickly is a luxury. They are quite durable too, LOL. Neely, I have a pile of butternut squash in storage, if only I had a pile of prawns too! sleevendog, that looks pretty to me! Delicious too. No pictures here, today we had hamburgers! Tomorrow we're making sandwiches and having cake and ice cream for Madison's 9th birthday. No party this year, of course, but we bought her a hoverboard, so she'll be happy, even with just her folks and Elery and I. I baked a strawberry cake too, with sea turtles on top, her choice. I'll try to remember to take pictures, and hopefully she won't break an arm or a leg, riding the thing around the kitchen island or something... Annie
    ...See More
  • msazadi
    16 years ago

Ann, those meatballs look like Dick's dinner last night. I had leftover shells and he had leftover meatballs on spaghetti. We both had leftover roasted veggies, and now there's room in the fridge for a pot of posole.

Lou, am I correct that your pizza only has the meat on the edges? I've never seen that, but then I'm sure I've missed a lot of things! How nice to get to see some.

And WooHOO!!!! Sunday I should be going to a friend's while she, her sister and mother make vareniki, potato pancakes, and a Russian stuffing. Carb city! She said I can consider this my pierogi lesson since they are close enough. They stuff theirs with sauerkraut but I'm gonna plan on farmers cheese after I have my hands-on class and recipe. I'll try to photograph the process.

• User
    16 years ago

Lou made me do it!

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathleen: do you have any leftovers, left for me ???

Marigene: I didn't have any veal in the freezer.

Heated up Msazadi's Sausage Sausage coins.

Ann t: You complimented my Pizza !!!!! And your meals are
    not worth reporting ??? Are you kidding ! The bug must be
    really affecting you.
    I think you need a rubdown . I made a lot of other offers,
    to members but always too far away.
    I should stop sacrificing myself, like this, to help others.
    Or, maybe I can get Moe jealous enough, to come here.
    Then I'll apoligise and we can have a nice vacation.

Msazadi: You are right, the meat is only under the Crust,
    that is folded over it, as in the photo.
    Decided on a plain Cheese pizza, then threw some Pepperoni
    om half.

Chase: I made you do that !!! you went Bannanas !
    I think that's the only thing you didn't put on the Pizza.
    Good thing I clicked on your picture.
    I didn't know it would enlarge.

Woodie, Ohiomom, Monique, Emily, Sorry if I upset you with the Pizza pics.
    How do you think I feel when I see all the Food pictures in here. I have to get even somehow.

I'll try to put something else in to make your mouth water.

Did I miss anyone??? Tell me about it !!!
    LOU

• User
    16 years ago

Marigene

Sorry, I missed your post. It is hard for me to keep up with this forum, moves too fast for this old girl :)

Yes, I braised the chicken, and browned the veggies (onion, taters and sprouts) with seasonings ... tossed them all together and put them in the oven (covered). I try to use what ever veggies the market has each week.

Lou, did you post a recipe for your pizza dough ? Could someone direct me to the post ?

I NEED pizza !!

LOL

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ohiomom: Here is the recipe. If you have a question send an email.

: An alterative to baking on a stone is to use pans. A 12 inch round pizza will take from 8 to 12 ounces of dough. According to thickness you want. After the dough is made weigh it out and roll into balls. Oil the pans and place a dough ball in the pan and flatten slightly, working the dough towards the side of the pan, with the palms.
    Then let it rest a few minutes. Repeat this every so often until the dough reaches the side and up, enough for a crust about ½ inch. Let it raise slightly , pinch the dough all over, with a fork and put into the oven to bake at 400 deg. If it bubbles while baking pinch it with a fork again. When light tan specks show ,take them out onto a rack to cool fast. Then you can use them right away or freeze , to use later.
    When cooking the Pizza, place the dough back in the oiled pan , put a latel of sauce on the dough and swish it around, sprinkle some Parmesan or Romano , put it in the oven for a few minutes. Take it out and spread the topping of your choice and the Cheese Topping. A good topping cheese is a mixture of Mozzarella and Provolone chopped and mixed. The provolone gives it a good flavor and doesn't get like rubber when it cools.
    I use all Provolone. A little trick for baking. Keep a cup of water and brush handy, to baste parts that are cooking too fast. If you can get new pans, they have to be cured in the oven, so they won't stick. Coat them with oil and bake them for at least 6 hours. Never clean them with soap and water. Just rinse with water & wipe with a paper towel.

Dough recipe:
    1 cup of warm water (not hot)
    1 Package of rapid rise yeast 1 tablesps sugar ,in a half cup of warm water
    1/4 Cup of Veg. Oil
    1 teasp.Salt
    About 3 1/2 cups Flour
    ½ cup of Whole wheat flour

Place in a mixing bowl, the Water, 1 cup of flour, wheat flour , yeast if risen
    Add the oil and salt and more flour.
    Add enough flour to make a soft ball of dough, that doesn't stick to your hands.
    Knead until smooth. Put it back in the bowl , Smooth side up and Rub on some Veg. Oil
    Cover and set in a warm place to rise until it doubles in bulk.
    I put it in a warm oven, Covered with a damp towel. It rises in about 1 hour.

When doubled, punch it down and knead it well.
    Divide into Balls , about 11 to 12 ounces and place in oiled pans. 12" round
    Dough should be about 3/16 " thick on the bottom and about ½" around the edge.
    For Sicilian Pizza , I used most of the dough in a 11" X 16" pan
    Follow the previous instructions.
    Good luck, Lou

• User
    16 years ago

Thanks Lou ... so you pre-bake the pizza dough before you add toppings ? I generally just do mozzarella/parmesan pizzas, never thought about using provolone.

I have copies the recipe along with your notes ... :)

• msazadi
    16 years ago

What's for dinner?? What's for dinner you might ask!!
    AAAARGH...

I have had a pork roast slow cooking in the oven, with Michael Chiarellos spices and some white cranberry juice...no apple. I was having blt mashed potatoes (with sauted leeks, crunchy bacon bits and chopped sundried tomatoes) and the braised red cabbage.

We were both going out early so dinner was going to be early but at 3pm I realized "I" had another obligation with an acquaintance...and dinner (dinner?) at Subway. I was really looking forward to this dinner.... Dick says he'll help out and eat for two. AAAAARGH. I guess I know what my lunch tomorrow will be.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ohiomom: In the Tutorial Pizza Photo's thread I used fresh dough.
    But in a Pizzeria, Most of them prebake the dough, because of the thickness.
    That cuts a few minutes off the total baking time.

Plus, they can put the Sauce on a few and have them stacked in a cabinet,
    ready for the toppings to go on and in the oven in a minute.

If the dough isn't used right away it can be frozen
    but not stacked too high until they are solid.

You have to take shortcuts where ever, to put out 150 to 200 Pizza's a night.
    In the pizzeria I used all NY Provolone . Now I do a combo.
    A lot of members say they use Provolone, too.

It doesn't get like a piece of rubber, when it cools a little.
    Half Provolone and Half Mozzerella.In this Thread I even mixed in Sargento,
    4 Cheese Mexican, Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla & Asadero
    Have fun,
    LOU

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

Sharon we had pizza because of Lou too..No pepperoni though.And tonight was Italian sausage risotto..Ann your photos..:)

Tomorrow we are having your Chicken Chop Suey..

Marigene..I love The Frog Prince.. Jain..one of the areas of her gardens..is called Frog Hill..:)

I don't post often..but peruse every often!

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Dinner was another quickie, quiche with bacon and a salad. I will be glad when I don't have to rush around all day! Off to bake more cookies...

{{gwi:2093805}}

• beanthere_dunthat
    16 years ago

Marigene - I am loving the pics of the ornaments. You could almost convince me to decorate for the holiday with pretty things like that. :)

I'm not telling what I had for dinner because it will get me put in detention. Let's just single living has put a serious crimp in my desire to cook. I did mak the popcorn cauliflower last night, though, and found it yummy.

But the reason I'm interrupting here -- Kathleen? I think I found your acrylic ornaments. Michaels! They had two sizes. I saw your post after I was there or I would have snagged some for you. They were with the holiday floral/centerpeiece doodads.

• User
    16 years ago

Lou made me do it! LOL!

Sharon, that pizza looks sooooo good. I might have to cave and make one this week too. I might have to blame both you and Lou.

Marigene, another cute ornament.

Bought another whole beef tenderloin earlier this week and cut it into three roasts and the tailend will be used for a tenderloin tip dish. Took one of the smaller roasts out of the freezer before going to work yesterday. Grilled it for dinner last night. Sides were Mushrooms, Parisienne potatoes and some braised Rappini.

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

I promise to work on taking better pictures but as a newbie to your group (been in the bath & kitchen forum for 2 years) I wanted to share last nights successful dinner. I made 3 of the Joey's killer lasagna and 3 loaves of Gilroy Garlic bread for our monthly family dinner (26). They were a huge success.

• User
    16 years ago

And I can see why. Looks delicious. Welcome to the forum Natesgramma.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

What's for Dinner. Well, last night it was Raisin Bran, LOL, we had a potluck at work.

I made Lori's bowtie pasta with the Italian sausage and cream sauce and it was delicious. We also had homemade enchiladas, buffalo wings, chili, hummus with pita chips, Texas Sheet Cake, rice krispie squares, bread pudding with a cream cheese/pumpkin topping, and about 6 kinds of Christmas cookies. I also made cannoli. Of course, my receptionist brought chips and soft drinks, but everything else was homemade, EVERYTHING. I was shocked, and even my young Assistant Prosecutor made blueberry muffins for breakfast. They were from a mix, but still, they weren't from the bakery!

So, last night I got out the big mixer and made a double batch of chocolate chip cookie dough, some of Ann T's maple cream fudge which beat wonderfully in the KitchenAid, and a batch of Cream Cheese Brandied Cherry Balls, also one of Ann T's recipes.

Welcome to the forum, Natesgramma. The lasagna looks delicious but I really want some of that garlic bread.

Lou, I saved that pizza crust recipe, I like the whole wheat flour addition to that. I'll bet that dough would work great for stromboli too, wouldn't it?

Annie

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

...and so, here I sit, eating a BK Whopper for breakfast. The boys got it for me yesterday, but I saved it for breakfast. Well, if I'm going to eat crap, this is just the crap I enjoy most.

Sol: I didn't know you spoke Korean ???

Luigi, I do NOT speak Korean. I speak Swahili. A whole lot easier to type, too.

In regards to the Brisket, it's very easy and very delicious. I prepared it similarly to my BBQ Ribs, but I omitted the slather - the brisket didn't need it.
    I use my own dry rub (everyone has their own favorite dry rub, so I'll skip this). Trim the brisket, but leave about a 1/4" fat cap on the fatty side. This will keep the brisket from drying out.
    Generously apply the dry rub to the brisket. Cover and marinate overnight. While still covered, place it in the preheated oven, fat side up.
    I put it in a very slow oven (225°F - 230°F) about 1-1/2 hours per pound. Basting occasionally.
    Remove cover and continue baking and basting until the brisket develops a nice crust. That's all there is to that.

Ann, I hope you're feeling better today. It's hard to tell from your meals, if you know what I mean.

Pretty ornaments Marigene. I'm partial to the rooster. There is a story behind my rooster preference, alas, it's also a very long story.
    My tree is decorated the same way each year. Crystal, glass and white ornaments and a ton of white lights. I'm a sparkly-tree type of girl.

Carol, your dessert rocks. I'll have to find Jain's post and wish that wildly-creative woman a happy birthday.

Well, Sam's room is almost done, except for the bed skirt and pillow shams I'm sewing for her bed. But everything else is done; we're this close.

Dinner was Gumbo, which we have all the time, but it's especially comforting this time of year, when all I want to do is wrap myself up with a nice, soft throw and park myself in front of the fireplace, with the cat on my lap. But I digress. We also had Halibut with Saffron Potatoes (of course, the fish split in half when I lifted it out of the pan. Qué lastima!)
    Dessert was (cover one eye, Ann) . . . Carrot Cake, in muffin form.

Sol

• User
    16 years ago

Welcome Natesgramma that is one fine looking lasagna but it';s the bread I'm lusting over! Was that recipe from here? No matter, I don't have it and would love it if you would post it.

Oh sol that gumbo looks so good! The wimp won't go there so a never have it.....never, ever! WAH!

Ann your pic could almost, but not quite, make me think I liked beef.

Tonight the kids (Chris and Amity...hardly kids! ) are coming over to decorate the tree. Late getting it up but it is the first night since Meredith has been home we could all be together.

We will enjoy some rum and egg nog and a few nibblies as we decorate the tree. This year I made Spiced Pecans, Sour Cream Walnuts and Nuts and Bolts.

Dinner will be a family favourite and a traditional holiday meal in our home; Tourtierre, potato gratin, broccoli and roasted beets . Shortbread for dessert.

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas......

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

A big thanks goes to Woodie2 for this scrumptious recipe as follows:

This is really a wonderful recipe (it was a winner at the Gilroy Garlic Festival several years ago) and if you wanted to prepare it ahead and heat at the last minute, I guess you could shorten the heating time in the oven and pop it under the broiler.
    GILROY GARLIC BREAD

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, room temp
    3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
    6 tablespoons mayonnaise
    3 large garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 teaspoon (generous) dried oregano, crumbled
    1 1-pound loaf French bread, halved lengthwise

Thoroughly combine first 6 ingredients in medium bowl. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Refrigerate. Bring to room temp before continuing.)

Preheat oven to 375*. Spread garlic butter on cut side of bread, wrap each half in foil. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate.) Place bread on baking sheet cut side up. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil from bread.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Wow..I'm catching up again.

Meals this week so far. Monday Roast Chicken, baked potatoes and butternut squash. Tuesday was Chicken Cream Cheese Enchiladas. Wednesday was whatever someone felt like eating..I ate mostly Maple Fudge, macaroon cups with an orange chocolate ganache filling, oh and lots of marshmallows..about 9:30 I decided to have a piece of leftover Enchilada. LOL

Tonight I think will be waffles, eggs and sausage.

But I do think Sol's chicken will be on the menu in the next few days!

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Natesgramma...wow, THREE of the lasagnas! (Lou, this woman is in your league. I'm presuming the gender of NG.)

And Gilroy...I love that place and would love to go back...smiffing the air for that lovely garlicy scent.

Last night this was the dinner I never had...

And here is one of the taters...leeks, bacon and sundried tomatoes make them BLT Mashed.

Now I just have to go dip some shortbread, and the Boys Night In dinner will be all set. I'll have to try and get a pic of the posole in a bowl before they scarfe it down. This one is a bit hot...I added 2tsp of dried red chimayo in addition to the green chiles. Not a good idea as they overpower the green, but a pinch will add some smoke next time.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm going to jump in here and jump out.
    I just made something simple tonight.

Roasted Peppers and Eggs, along with Vine Ripened, Sliced Tomatoes and Mayo.
    Of course I had to fill up on Pizzelles and Fluffy Cheesecake.

{{gwi:2093814}}

Have to put in a Post be back later to comment.

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Lou...where are you getting vine ripened in December???

• msazadi
    16 years ago

The soup...

And the table before food went on it (n.b. the pickled green beans- Home Canning 2007)

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maureen: Walmart's, They still had the vines on them ?????
    I'll be back , I want to taste that soup !!!

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This Post almost went South again. Guess everyone is shopping.
    So I'll put my Dinner in now to bump it back up.
    I think everyone has heard of a Crown Roast.
    I tried to do it with Chicken.

Lous Standing ( chicken ) Leg Roast w. Stuffing.

Thought Id try something different. Everyone here likes stuffing.

I stood 4 Chicken Legs & Thighs on end ( and a Breast for Kathleen )
    and pinned them together with Skewers , that had a loop on the end.
    Then I tied all the loops together with butchers string , to hold them in place.

I put Stuffing in the middle and baked it for about one hour.
    Took it out , laid some Carrots and Grape Tomatoes on top.
    Wrapped Bacon around the legs and put it back in the oven for another hour.
    The temperature reached 180 in the stuffing.
    I sprayed with Pam and basted it a few times while baking.
    Have to wait till tonight to taste.
    Can't help what I do sometimes, I'm crazy.

LOU

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Lou!!! The standing chicken!! ROTFL!!!!!! BAHwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to look twice, copy and enlarge it to get the full effect! What a show stopper!!! I've got to make this!!!

I'm so behind in this thread and catching up does not cover it!!

Everyone's food is so fabulous and I am excited to try some of the dishes!!!

This week is just flying by with us out of town last weekend and then bringing home the new puppies. The pups have adjusted beautifully, almost too well! They both run through the house and you can hear the stampede down the hallway. And they are terrorizing the cat who seeks highter ground whenever possible! But the week has been full of puppy poop and fun!

I did make Lou's chicken and followed his lead but added brussel sprouts and red sweet pepper and baked it in my tangine. I've not used my tangine is so long and I love cooking in raw clay!!! Joe's hates my tagine, he says it's weird....Whatever! The chicken was delicious!

Last night one of my favorite soups, Cream of Spinach!

Michelle

• User
    16 years ago

OMG Lou, You had me there for a minute. A 4 legged Chicken. LOL!

Oh Michelle, your new babies are just adorable. I can imagine how much fun it must be around your house with two puppies. Did I miss where you told us their names?

Well I caved yesterday and made Pizza. Before I left for work yesterday morning I made a biga and used it to mix up some dough when I got home last night. I made enough dough to also bake a loaf of bread. Moe has been pretty good about not whining,(too much) but he was really happy this morning when he had my homemade bread toasted for breakfast.

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Lou, that chicken looks like what might happen when cloning goes wrong!! EEEEEEEKKKKKKK Too funny.

No cooking for me today...I lost my voice (not my computer fingers) and am going to sit out the day on the kitchen couch, drink tea, enjoy the fire and read books, magazines and cookbooks. Could one ask for more??

Ann, I bet Moe has been missing those loaves. I miss your photography a lot!

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ann: I knew the Chicken would get your attention.
    Startling at first !!!!
    Pizza looks great. If you keep Baking , you will get good at it.
    I heard that !!!!! I resemble that remark !!!

Maureen: YES!!! You could ask for me.???

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Lovely looking food and photos everyone....Sol, Ann, Maureen, Michelle, Natesgramma and Lou... interesting dish with your four legged chicken!!

Michelle I can imagine the fun you're having with those lovely puppies!

I'm another catcher-upper as time is flying. Had a two-day cold, we've had some torrential rain and now the sun is out, the mountain is thickly capped in snow. Hope I have time tomorrow to take a pic of that as it's spectacular.
    Still haven't put up our Christmas tree....that'll be tomorrow for sure.

After making almond crusted hake with veg the other day I found some beautiful basil in the market and so made a big batch of pesto and we stuffed ourselves with Spaghetti al Pesto. Yesterday we took our houseguest to our favourite Italian restaurant....he and I each had a Four Seasons Pizza (Quattro Stagioni) which blew me over by the size they were....each one would feed a family of four I'm sure. I managed to eat only half despite that it was so good. We started with warm seedy bread rolls, wine and Italian water (why it has to be Italian and not the local stuff...don't know.) Wolf had a half portion of Orecchiette in Gorgonzola sauce. They make their own orecchiette pasta so it must have been good. We ended with chocolate mousse (Wolf), our friend had fresh papaya in orange sauce and I chose the tiramisu. Then we had coffee. It was a wonderful meal.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Michelle, those puppies are so darned cute, especially that middle picture!

Ann, keep it up and I might even be convinced to eat pizza! I'd rather have the crusty end off that bread, though.

Lou, a 4 legged chicken? Now that's just...well...WRONG. LOL It's a great idea, though.

Sol, you cook, bake, decorate cakes, take wonderful pictures AND you sew Sam's curtains and comforter? Wow, is there anything you don't do? Well, anything that you can say here in public without interrupting someone's dinner? (grin)

Annie

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Annie : You think that's wrong, I was going to make it 5 legs.
    But I had to put a Breast in there for Kathleen.
    Besides it's not a 4 legged Chicken, it's like a Chicken Leg Crown Roast.
    Ann's Pizza looks good. Don't tell her I said that !!!
    Sol : can do anything. You have only seen the tip of the Iceberg.

Sharon: Do you really eat like that every day, or just go to take pictures?

Guess I antagonized everyone enough , I'll leave now.

I heard THAT !!!
    LOU

• User
    16 years ago

ROFL ... chicken crown roast ? How clever.

Michelle ... that puppy is sticking his tongue out at you for taking his pic ??? Adorable pups.

The pizzas look so good ... maybe tomorrow ? I baked the first batch of christmas cookies today ... hope to finish tomorrow. That is if I have the energy after our Winter Fest at the market.

I had cheese and crackers for dinner ... :)

• hawk307
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ohiomom: A friend of mine,Dan, here in the Pocono's, has a
    place in Ohio.
    His brother lives there full time.I think Dan is out there, more than here.
    He buys collectible Tractors. Maybe that's the attraction
    Is there a lot of Auctions out there ???
    When I see him , I'll ask where his place is located.

Turkey's and Deer where here for dinner. Not on the menu!

{{gwi:2093840}}

LOU

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Lou, thank you for the white meat! I have been so busy getting ready for Christmas I haven't posted much!
    You are too sweet! The picture above says LYME DISEASE to me! Be careful, Lou.
    Hi everyone, the pics are great!

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Sharon, love the polka dotted presentation for the tiramisu! And your scalloped potatoes look sooooo good!

Lou, your photo looks just like a postcard...just beautiful and so peaceful. Do you put out corn?

We finally had our pizza tonight. I've been wanting to make it for a month now and finally got around to it. I bought 2 baking stones to try Lucy's 2-stone method but I don't have a peel yet so I only used 1 stone on the top shelf and what a difference it made in the crust. We had 2 pizzas, mine was on the bottom shelf under the baking stone shelf and Joe put his on first shelf on top of the stone.

Not sure if it shows up clearly or not but the crust on my pizza is about twice the size of Joes. It rose beautifully from the radiant heat of the above baking stone! I don't know why Joe's picture came out so dark, the cheese is not burned at all...oh well.

We named the pups Archie and Eva.

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Puppy Album

• User
    16 years ago

Michele the pups are darling! Lou great picture.

We had company for a holiday dinner last night. Me being me I had to try all new recipes!

We started with Raclette in Puff Pastry with a fig sauce and baby greens

The entree was Beef Tenderloin With Roasted Shallots, Bacon And Port

Ended the meal with Dulce De Leche Cream Puffs With Frangelico And Hazelnuts

Very enjoyable meal and I'd make each recipe again!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Lou, Love your crown chicken..I'm fighting with Kathleen over the breast!

Ann, the pizza! mmm mmm

Michelle,,,,the babies...he's gonna be a big boy! Did you end up getting the pick of the litter?

Dinner tonight..grilled italian sausage and bratwurst, sugar beans, macaroni salad and "grilled" onions and yellow peppers...Yummmy

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

LOL, trying out all new recipes, Chase! It all looks fantastic! I try new recipes out on guests, too!

Made Ina Garten's Guacamole Salad for dinner tonight along with a grilled flank steak. Saw it on one of her reruns, and printed it out, finally got to it tonight! A keeper for sure, there's nothing left!
    {{gwi:2093845}}

Had some pizza for a late lunch, thanks to a craving because of Ann and Michelle. Mine was from the pizza place, I'd rather had had a slice of theirs! Looks great!

Cute pups, Michelle! They will keep you busy, I'm sure :)

Love your chicken, Lou!

• san_
    16 years ago

crown roast of chicken? we eat alot of chicken and like stuffing too--ya gotta love it! and yes--those pizzas were calling out to me. but chase--your dinner looks absolutely fabulous, even if i don't care for figs. were each of the recipes keepers?

our dinner was nothing like your elegant meal--i took a meatloaf out of the freezer :) not particularly pretty but it did the trick for us!

• User
    16 years ago

san , yes they were all keepers, then some!

I was very happy with the results. The reason I only posted the Raclette recipe is because I had recently posted the other two.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Sharon, you dinner looks fabulous! I have Raclette in the cheese drawer...

Lou, your chicken crown is fun! And the pizza...let's just say I'm another having a strong urge to make pizza. Wish I had the time...

Not much cooking going on here. Between working, shopping and baking...I didn't even get the pictures I took last weekend downloaded...Oh well, just a batch of coconut shrimp. I'll try to make up for the lack of cooking on Christmas!

Nancy

• woodie
    16 years ago

Sharon - your dinner is gorgeous! I guess my invitation was lost in the mail?

These pizza's are torturing me - I might have to learn to make dough!

This week I high heat roasted a chicken which I've never done before cause my smoke alarm doesn't like it, and sure enough the smoke alarm has a good battery, LOL. Chicken was great that way but that piercing noise is baaaad. I must have done some more cooking this week, but I'm not recalling what we ate! Too much Christmas dinner and candy/cookies on the brain, I guess.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Sharon, thanks for the pic! It looks wonderful. I am serving the same tenderloin recipe - thank you for posting it.

• User
    16 years ago

Sharon, your dinner sounds wonderful. I love the idea of the Raclette in Puff Pastry.

Lou great pic of the deer and turkeys.

Ann

• msazadi
    16 years ago

I'll help close this out...with a mini 2 Fishes dinner.

Merry Christmas all! Maureen

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Dinner tonight was Baked Country Ribs with Smokey BBQ sauce. Baked mac n cheese, using cheddar and Jarlsburg and Brown Rice Noodles..Oh and carrots and dip.
    Dessert was homemade chocolate Gelato.

Maureen, I'll take some asparagas! I love the thin ones!

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

Terri -- looks like we were on the same wave length, as we had baked ribs here too... Spice rubbed them, baked in foil until very tender, spread BBQ sauce on, and roasted at high heat until sauce caramelized. Mmmm. Falling off the bone good! Served them with roasted green beans, roasted turnips, and baked sweet potatoes!

Sure wish I could be eating some of your homemade Gelato!

Merry Christmas all!