SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

Anyone Have Gold Walls in a Bedroom?

leafy02
14 years ago

I couldn't choose a purple for my bedroom so now I am wondering about a gold. I've had Quietude-ish colors in my room for so long before we moved here, and the previous owners' green is not pleasing, and I want a change.

Anybody have photos of gold walls in a bedroom, that are not at all peach-ish?

Thanks!

Comments (25)

• megsy
    14 years ago

This is from our old playroom:

It's Ben Moore Shelburne Buff. I have Shelburne Buff at 75% pigment in pretty much our whole downstairs in our current house because I love it so much.

• Related Discussions

Question for Mustangs

Q

Comments (3)
    OMG! I am a little intimidated by the decorators on this forum consequently I am mostly a daily lurker versus a contributor, so thank you for that vote of confidence. After deciding what I wanted on the bed and windows, I selected the fabric from Boca Bargoons. Their workroom made the pieces. Here is a better picture of the cornice board that the workroom made from my design. Since the ceiling is so high, I wanted something that would put the window more to scale as well as mimic the lines of the armoire. Here is better lighting (I'm not a wiz at photography).
    ...See More

Anyone have a Dusty Rose or Blue Bedroom? Photos?

Q

Comments (3)
    Maybe darker than you were looking for, but here is Benjamin Moore Van Courtland Blue (from the historic colors collection, of course). I love this color...I wanted to stay in the bathroom all day when it was first painted!
    ...See More

Anyone want to give wall color advice for my bedroom?

Q

Comments (96)
    I think it is based upon an object at Mount Vernon and not a room color. If you read the description of the fandeck, you can kind of tell which colors are room colors and which are "inspired by" colors. The room colors are mostly greens or blue-greens with white trim or white with green or blue-green trim, it seems. Actually I think you arrived at these three (or five, including the Burnt Umber and Inkwell) by a certain process of elimination of what was going on in other rooms and by wanting a saturated color. That leaves Blue, Red or Yellow as the primaries and you used a Dark Blue elsewhere, --or Green or a Neutral which is Brown or Black. I don't think you want a chrome yellow bedroom, or hazard orange bedroom so you are considering all the reasonable options available.
    ...See More

What color walls should I have in my bedroom?

Q

Comments (20)
    Hello, You guys are amazing, thanks a lot for the good advice! So to sum up: - Find a nice gray color for the bedroom - Add 3 frames to hang above the bed - Don't put crown mouldings for now in the bedroom - Find a nice paint color for the living room/ dining area - Roman blinds in the kitchen Anyone could suggest a nice color for the walls in the living room/dining area? Thanks again!
    ...See More
  • leafy02
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Megsy, thank you. And hey, your kids can give my kids art lessons any time--those are some adorable artworks on your line!

Your bedroom photo highlights the fact that none of my furniture is dark enough to have that much contrast with the gold, and I think that is going to be a problem.

I can paint my bed frame, but not my dresser. So I think I need to hold my fandeck up to the wall beside the dresser instead of the wall beside the window. I just so badly don't want to go back to blue/green!

• megsy
    14 years ago

You are too kind, but they made those at one of those little art places where they guide them to make the art. I don't love them any less tho!

Do you have pics of the bedroom? We could make some suggestions if you could share pics!

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

I took a lot of grief when my DD was young because of the "art closet" where I kept her school projects. Now I am eager to openly display the grand babies art work.

Darker gold accent wall behind the bed; lighter gold on other walls.

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

SW Blonde in MB. Don't have any pics on this computer, will have to charge camera to take a pic to post. We have victorian dark oak furniture. Furniture is tall chest, long bureau with mirror and armoire. Bedside tables are oak with marble tops.

I wanted to change up the headboard so I went with a metal - looks like pewter. The original oak headboard was a queen, but we have since purchased a king mattress and boxspring. Flooring is hardwood, a bit darker than the furniture.

I love, love, love the gold. Bedding is chocolate background paisley-ish pattern with burgandy and gold. I'm using burgandy and gold decorative pillows along with the shams that match the bedspread. Also have chocolate shams. We have lots of pillows! Also, gold throw across the end of the bed.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Laura Ashley Gold #3 from Lowes. Love it. Have had cream matelasse coverlets, deep cinnamon comforter, Black floral comforter, everything works. In the picture linked, you see a fair rendition of the daytime color. The 2nd photo with cinnamon coverlet, is what it looks like in evening light.

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold bedroom

• blondepegasus
    14 years ago

Take a look at Bungalow Gold from Valspar Eddie Bauer at Lowes. I love the idea of cinnamon and black with gold!

• blondepegasus
    14 years ago

Just curious...why couldn't you choose purple for your bedroom? Here is mine:

• leafy02
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Megsy, I don't have any photos with my furniture in there, just previous owners'. My camera is now working but the kids took it out of town for the weekend. Of course.

I have a picture of my dresser from when it was in our old house, so you can see the wood color I have to stick with. I don't have another room to put the dresser in, and I can't part with it or paint it. I can paint my metal bed frame (it is a light bronze color) and I'm looking to replace my husband's dresser anyway, so I'm not bound by it.

Everyone's golds look beautiful, but everyone has dark furniture!

Blondepegasus, I thought about the purple for a long time, but couldn't find one that felt right--they either felt too My Little Pony or too grayed out.

Since I usually have no trouble finding a shade that I love (whether or not it will look good with my stuff) I took that as a sign that I'm not up for purple.

{{!gwi}}

• judydel
    14 years ago

Our master bedroom is Ellen Kennon's Mustard Seed. And yes, our furniture is darker than yours but in the same family, no? I love your dresser with the color walls in the photo from your previous house. But I can understand wanting to change things up.

• leafy02
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Judydel. Yes, your dresser (beautiful wood, by the way) makes it seem possible. Tomorrow when I have natural light I will try with the fandex next to the dresser and see what I come up with.

I am working counter-clockwise through the first floor, one room at a time, so painting my bedroom is still three rooms away. I'm aiming to do it when I'm off around July 4, and I thought choosing a color now would give me more time to coordinate other changes I may want to make, like painting the bed frame or switching the loathesome ceiling fan.

• sandra_zone6
    14 years ago

I don't have gold in my bedroom, but I have that Mustard Seed from Ellen Kennon in my music/living room that judydel has in her bedroom. It plays nice with all sorts of wood tones. It has such depth to it and moves and changes with the light.

• leafy02
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In the daylight today, using my SW color deck, it looked like Sequin would work. It didn't look bad with the dresser or the old gold frames on some of my pictures on the wall. I'll check it again in later afternoon light, but I already like it better than my purple choices :-)

• whitdobe
    14 years ago

The colors in our two guest rooms are buffs, not gold, but the do look goldish. Very gold at some times of the day! (The Biltmore more so than the Concord.) These colors are not in the big SW fan deck, they're in the smaller "Concepts in Color" fan deck.

SW Biltmore Buff

SW Concord Buff

• leafy02
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, Whitdobe, one of those beds is missing something ;-)

I like that Concord Buff, and again I think the contrast with the dark furniture is especially nice and warm. The buff looks a lot like the color in our living room and hall, and I've noticed a lot of change over the course of the day in how gold vs. tan it looks. I wish it was always in the gold range.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I have a gold bedroom in our townhouse, and it's literally gold, with bronze and burnt umber in the mix...it looks fabulous with cherry and oak as well as lighter woods and deep dark woods. Gold is a very flattering color to most woods. If you have light furniture I'd personally go darker in the gold, and if your furniture is dark, take the walls lighter. Either way will flatter the furniture.

In the town house I have different shades of gold on most of the walls. I am a bit of a gold lover :) I'll post a few pics to give you an idea of deeper golds with furniture:
    This is with oak and cherry:

This pic shows that wall color better:

Think of the backsplash here with the light natural cherry cabs as a gold wall...they're honey color:

This is with dark woods so I wanted a very rich tone...it's a bit deeper in person (flash on gold always pulls out the yellow)

The wall in this picture shows a pretty true color and texture of the wall in gold. It's really "gold" done in metalics:

This is the closet while it was being built...it's done in a gold a lot of people use here (Compatible cream which is SW I think?)

We were auditioning a rug here so it's a bit of a mess but the walls are Deep Cowslip 4 (and that's Behr maybe???)

Here is a pic from our master bath showing the oak nightstand by my bed and the very light honey floor which is bamboo:
    {{gwi:1392927}}

This is an antique oak sewing machine against the gold as well:
    {{!gwi}}

In our victorian we're doing golds, bronze, and brass all of which look gorgeous with oak, mahogany and walnut (the woods we have to work with).

Sorry for the post but I just wanted to show you a few golds against different wood colors. I don't think you can go wrong with gold myself, just balance the debth of color against your primary pieces and it works wonders :)

• leafy02
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Igloo, don't be sorry, I am glad to see all of those golds and how they look with different woods! I like that the more intense golds read as more of a color than the more tan tones we have in our living room and hall. I want more of a distinct color in the bedroom than out there.

I think I will enjoy having a warm color for a change since the room is on the shady side of the house and doesn't have much light coming in.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I meant sorry for the "LONG" post LOL But thank you :) I was hoping it might help you see a few bolder tones with the light woods and how great they look with gold.

I really fell in love with gold after having lived in alaska for a few years. It's dark here :) for quite some time. I tried to compensate for that with brighter tones in my first condo here, and they were nice, but when I went gold with this place I really felt I'd found the perfect compliment to a shady/dark outdoors. The golds sort of embrace you :) They're warm and wonderful in any weather. I'm busy measuring for drapes on this trip, but in my gold/bronze bedroom we have deep fall tones in silk at this time of year...they're a very rich dark bronze and other earth tones, and in the summer we'll switch out to tan and ivory linens. The gold sort of flows with either one :)

I'm doing my master suite in the victorian in greens with golds :) I just can't let go of gold heh heh

• hoyamom
    14 years ago

I have Ellen Kennon Mustard Seed in my family room and I love it. I also have Ellen Kennon's Cognac in my Master Bedroom. It's very nice and cozy. My furniture is Martha Stewart's cherry.

Cognac

Mustard Seed

• datura-07
    14 years ago

In one of our guestrooms, I wanted to use a gold metallic. My dh thought it might be too dark so we went with BM's metallic in a dark yellow. First you paint the wall with a matching color, then apply the metalic. We sprayed on the metalic. I like the look but if I were to do it over, I would pick the base coat lighter so the metallic shows up more. And it really isn't metallic - it's more of a pearlescent. My dh was a little upset they call it metallic paint since it is really a glaze. And for $125 a gallon. But it is still cheaper than wallpaper.

igloochic, love the colors - your dining room is beautiful - your entire house is. How many homes do you have???
    Did you ever see my notes to you? I tried to e-mail you. Wanted to send you some pics.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

I have BM Wilmington tan in my bedroom.

>

Smiles:)

• leafy02
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, Hoya and Soobyruby, great rooms! I like how the red in Hoyamom's living room seems to warm up the gold.

I can see from many of the photos that gold is a color that can seem quite serene, which is ideal.

I'm not sure SW Sequin is the color for my room. Today it looked a little green and a little duller than it did yesterday. I think I'll go look at the other paint places' colors before making a decision, taking names from this list.

• debbie_2008
    14 years ago

I have dromdary camel in my bedrm and love it. Sorry no pics of it. I just recently painted it and not done with the entire room. It is by SW and a discontinued color but CAN still be mixed. Most stores still have a sample chip

• happyintexas
    14 years ago

All these lovely golds have me itching for a paint roller.

Megsy in your photo of your old bedroom--I'm in LOVE with those swing arm lamps. They look like they adjust up and down as well as side to side. EXACTLY what I'm looking for...any chance you remember where you found them or who makes them? Many thanks either way...now I have a photo to show dh and others what I'm looking for. That helps immensely!