SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lainie55

Help!-Drainage problems remodeled bathroom

lainie55
15 years ago

Dear Plumbing Experts,

Worried homeowner; need help!

Problems: Just finished a 2nd floor bath remodel (gut renovation, only toilet and shower stayed in same locations, added a tub and second sink) and there are drainage problems already. The fixtures have barely been used. Plumber returns on Monday. Other mistakes made; I dont trust him any more; not yet paid in full.

The toilet (Toto with G Force) wouldnÂt flush. When it clogged initially (with almost no debris), the dirty toilet water backed up into the shower floor and into the bathtub. DISGUSTING. Also, the clog seems clear now, but it still wonÂt flush. (The bowl just fills up with water).

There are other problems such as water coming up the shower drain when the tub drains, gurgle sound in shower drain whenever toilet is flushed with some backup into shower, (before the toilet clog), and more.

Oddities: Toilet wonÂt flush, yet shower seems to drain OK. Tub drain water backing up into shower requires a "U turn." How is that possible given that the shower drains?

Current Layout: Unfortunately my drawing didn't translate to the forum. The toilet is the last fixture in the "drain chain." Imagine a capital "E" turned with the spine upwards. Extend the spine of the E to the left and put the toilet there, and go a bit further to the left where the pipe exits down the wall. The other fixtures' drain lines connect to that "spine", before the toilet. Make the 3 "E" arms 3 different lengths, going from longer to shorter as you go left to right. The first longest arm comes from 2 sinks, the middle arm comes from the tub, and the shortest comes from the shower.

The toilet has its own vent, the 2 sinks have mechanical vents, and the shower and tub have a combined vent.

Questions: (FEEL FREE TO ANSWER JUST BY REFERRING TO QUESTION NUMBERS).

1.Should I consult with building inspector, or is that opening up a can of worms? (He is moody and erratic). We already have a CO. The inspector did not/barely looked at the plumbing in the inspections.

2.I live in Connecticut. Is it consistent with code to have a toilet drain connected to other fixtures? (AND as the last item in the "drain chain"?)

1. IsnÂt a toilet drain (trap area at least) in a "higher elevation" than a shower and/or tub drain, and thus, a problem if "down the chain"?

4.What do you think of the following idea, call it "Resurrect" old shower drain pipe"?

Background: There is a 2 inch drainage pipe (currently dormant) directly below the shower; the shower drain location did not change in the remodel. The plumber capped it/bypassed it. No idea why. I donÂt think "resurrecting" this drainage pipe would be a big deal; runs inside a wall in laundry room below it which needs painting anyway.

Perhaps the tub drain could be tied into that drain as well. The vent for the shower and tub are combined and in the side wall. Then only the 2 sinks (which have much higher drain-levels) would remain tapped into the pipe that goes to the toilet.

5. If the "resurrect old shower pipe" idea is good, would the 2" pipe need to change to 3"? Drainage burden includes the small tub, (with diverter for tub spout vs. handheld) and the shower has two showerheads, but all have flow restrictors.

6. OR, maybe even just the shower using the "resurrected" pipe would help?

7. Unrelated to above, but I also wanted confirmation that a closed loop hot water heat system requires venting? The plumber either added a vent, or moved a pre-existing, and now IÂm wondering about that. I thought the purpose was to keep air OUT of these systems?

I TRULY APPRECIATE ANY INSIGHTS AND HELP A LICENSED EXPERIENCED PLUMBER CAN PROVIDE.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Lainie

Comments (5)